Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Goodes: Why am I Booed?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Other AFL

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:35 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

King Monkey wrote:
Funny that JW, I had you roughly in my age range. Not quite my height range though! Laughing What then?? 40 odd??

40 plus and very odd. He's closer to me in age than you and WPT could be your dad. Lucky I'm so youthfull lookin Razz

John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:09 pm

stui magpie wrote:
King Monkey wrote:
Funny that JW, I had you roughly in my age range. Not quite my height range though! Laughing What then?? 40 odd??

40 plus and very odd. He's closer to me in age than you and WPT could be your dad. Lucky I'm so youthfull lookin Razz

i liken wpt to grandpa simpson.

King Monkey 

Location: On a journey to seek the scriptures of enlightenment....

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:33 pm

stui magpie wrote:
King Monkey wrote:

I think WPT would shudder at the thought! Laughing

Oh you are a dee-mon, I love to fiiight."
Golden Gordon Libra

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:47 pm

Boo hoo Adam Goodes. Crying or Very sad
Greening gold 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:40 pm

watt price tully wrote:
King Monkey wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
Wokko wrote:
If I want to hear social justice nonsense I'll jump onto social media, tumblr, or read The Age section with all the leftist women bitching about privilege, patriarchy and the rest of that bullshit. I love sport because it is a contest with winners and losers and rules of behavior. Keep the politics off the damn field, because that cringe worthy display was pure political bullshit. Michael Long is an inspiration for reconciliation, displays like this just make the peacock involved look like a twat.

Try watching / listening to Walled Aly on David's youtube link. Calls it like it is.

Michael Long faced reactionary bullshit at the time - you might be too young to remember but there was a backlash. The then mantra was "what happens on the field stays on the field" to excuse bad & racist behaviour amongst other things. Talkback & all were full of shrill outrage.

Now, "leftist women" - you still bangin' on about that. Rolling Eyes

Michael Long's action at the time was highly political: what else is the reconciliation movement?

That's where Jake Niall's article about the passive & the active type of "blacks" for want of a better term, provides a useful construct, indeed a good way of explaining some of the reactions to Goodes being booed.

There is a massive difference to Long's and Goodes' contributions to reconciliation.

Long made an actual point. He changed attitudes, he changed the way people thought & acted in certain situations for the better. He helped people understand that insults towards his culture went beyond the realms of banter, they genuinely hurt.
People don't think and act like they used to in that regard.

Goodes on the other hand, in a lot of people's eyes has done not a great deal else for the cause than divide opinion.
His first foray into the political statement spectrum had him turning an individualised insult from a crowd member at the footy, into evidence we have a problem with racism. A lot of people rejected that notion. The subsequent attempts to paint everyone who disagree and/or don't like this guy as racist, threatened, or backward were/are absolutely astonishing.
He is not disliked because he's "a black challenger", frankly all that is bullsh**. The argument is a construct to paint those with opposing views a certain way. Wink

Like David was saying: who was saying the reaction to Goodes is about reconciliation? Not relevant.

Long, at the time was not supported in fact hammered by quite a few (lets say lots of people). Young fellas like yourself I presume might not recall that time. We as a society have progressed remarkably well & the AFL & its polices have been brilliant with respect to racist attitudes"what happens of the field stays on the field" etc.

The reaction to Goodes's behaviour is rooted in a few things which in my view include:

1. His kneeing of players / dirty type play / staging;
2. Tall poppy syndrome;
2. His taking a stand against a racist comment he'd heard that turned out to be a 13 yr old & the same people who blame him for this seemed to have missed his pleas to not dump on the girl & as he pointed she probably had no idea what she was saying: (ignorance not being seen as a virtue);
3. The awarding of Australian of the Year - as though he was responsible for nominating & awarding the title to himself;

However not withstanding that list (yet probably contained in part within it) lies something in my view is more than just that. The list does not explain the histrionic & shrill reaction to Goodes's behaviour.

For me, it is well explained by the two previously mentioned & well thought out arguments. I would also add Professor Colin Tatz to that (who was featured on the AWAKEN programme I referenced last week).

Frankly it aint's bullshit at all as you were keen to say. But people are entitled to have wrong opinions Wink

Good to hear Tony Lockett on his acceptance speech that I head a grab of this morning coming out & supporting Goodes saying what a remarkable man he is

There have been plenty of players who are snipers and thugs (Leigh Matthews, David Rhys-Jones, Dean Wallis)), there are plenty of players who are stagers for frees (Lindsay Thomas, Boomer Harvey, Joel Selwood), there are plenty of tall poppies (Chris Judd, who also is an eye poker and a chicken winger, Ron Barassi, Jimmy Hird, Michael Voss, Luke Hodge, Ted Whitten), yet none of those got booed every week.
Seems to me the main point of difference is that Goodes is a leader of indigenous players and, to my mind, every time Goodes is booed, I think of Leon Davis, the Krakouer twins, Polly Farmer, Barry Cable, Cyril Rioli, Chad Wingard, and so on, and it makes me very sad about my fellow Australians. We tell ourselves we are an easy-going, laconic, egalitarian and accepting nation willing to give everyone a fair go - but we're deluding ourselves.
And for those who argue sport and politics should not be mixed - it was sport that helped bring down apartheid in South Africa and sport that was used as part of the reconciliation process.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:47 pm

Those and every other indigenous player have not been booed. Try again.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:23 pm

swoop42 wrote:
Our integration of Aboriginal culture into mainstream Australia fails in comparison with that of a country like New Zealand with there Maori heritage.

Perhaps we could learn something from them.

Nail hit head.

Treaty yeah.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7cbkxn4G8U

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:24 pm

John Wren wrote:
swoop42 wrote:
Our integration of Aboriginal culture into mainstream Australia fails in comparison with that of a country like New Zealand with there Maori heritage.

the establishment of the treaty of waitangi has helped with this. also being a smaller population has likely been a contributor.

i lived there for many years. you can very much see the disparities between how the acceptance of the maoris differs markedly from the acceptance of the aborigines.

both experience the same socio-economic problems and have been beneficiaries of affirmative action but there seems to be less animosity shown to the maoris. some of the key maoris tribes sit on an extraordinary amount of wealth.

Sorry, didn't see this when I posted the above response to Swoop 42.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:25 pm

John Wren wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
King Monkey wrote:

i liken wpt to grandpa simpson.

Ha ha Laughing Laughing

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:10 am

So was he just going for the, um ball -s, or was it a poor 'tackle' attempt?

And he wonders why he's boooooed! Dirty mongrel.

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:59 am

Still cant get the Clue and still Carrys on about it
Doc63 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:41 pm

Nathan Buckley & Wayne Carey were booed every week.

Fairly certain neither of them have any Aboriginal heritage.

Also, cant see why Hawthorn supporters would be booing Goodes because of his race, when they have Rioli, Burgoyne, & Hill

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:41 pm

John Wren wrote:
swoop42 wrote:

the establishment of the treaty of waitangi has helped with this. also being a smaller population has likely been a contributor.

i lived there for many years. you can very much see the disparities between how the acceptance of the maoris differs markedly from the acceptance of the aborigines.

both experience the same socio-economic problems and have been beneficiaries of affirmative action but there seems to be less animosity shown to the maoris. some of the key maoris tribes sit on an extraordinary amount of wealth.

I had a good conversation a few years back with a bloke who self styled himself as a Maori chief. Apparently fled NZ to get away from the responsibilities. Scrawny little $%$er.

Gave me a reasonable insight into how the Maori tribes managed the wealth, if what he said was anywhere near accurate it was really good how it was set up. Reminded my of some of the Native American trusts.

he asked me about why the Aborigines hadn't done similar to the Maroi, I explained some of the basic differences, not being an expert in this field, he was quite taken aback by it all.

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:44 pm

What on earth is he doing? Shocked

Bucks5 Capricorn

Nicky D - Parting the red sea

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:58 pm

The Adam Goodes documentary, The Final Quarter will be aired this Thursday at 7:30pm on channel 10. Apparently it proves how racist AFL fans are.

Meanwhile, here are the results of the question "who is the most universally loved player in the AFL?" in this year's Herald sun survey.....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Other AFL All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 12 of 13   

Jump to: