Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

What’s the pass mark for next year for our team and coach

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Geek 

geek

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:10 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd hope we see better footy. More direct with the courage to take on the play, even if it might result in a contest. Yeah we'll leak a few at first but only through trusting our teammates and their ability to win their contests will we get the cohesion and trust that will allow us to play the attacking brand that we want to.

We got beaten soundly a few times in 2016. Won a couple of close ones in 2017 but lost more. I'd like to see us win more of the close ones next year and also to start going about putting teams to the sword again. Our biggest winning margins in 2017 were 45 and 54 points against the hapless Lions and Kangas. The rest were all under 5 goals. Winning the close ones and putting away the easy ones will give us the confidence we need to take risks, break lines and push the oppo on to the back foot.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:18 pm

1. Top after the home and away.

2. Premiership.

As an alternative, I would accept that in 2018 and 2019.
Monco Matt Aries

Do it to THEM before THEY do it to YOU

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:23 pm

Pass mark = Premiership.

We have wasted the last 4 years and we should have been building during those 4 years up to a premiership tilt next season. The last 4 years of failure should not be swept under the carpet by saying that we "start fresh" from now.

If the above statement is too much to cope with then at the very least it has to be a finals appearance. 9th or 10th will not be enough. But if we want to find out what it will take to see Bux sacked then I doubt anything less than a bottom 4 finish would do that. We aren't that bad. We really should have finished this year with 12 wins to just miss the Top 8, so I expect we will replace the Eagles who look vulnerable and slide into 7th or 8th.

MONCO: Your life.
Cruisinwithdids 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:41 pm

I guess pass marks are now irrelevant at Collingwood after ,Buckley saying if he missed the 8 he would be gone. They must have all been happy with 13th. I think though as a minimum we need to be in the finals race to the end of the season. By the first week of July at 5-10 Collingwood's season was over. When everything was on the line we played without daring and failed to take games on. I think the highest losing margin of 35 odd points is an indictment on the tactics the club, a reflection that they were not taking the game on, they were hanging on. Once the pressure was off we won a few more games but I'm afraid they were meaningless games. Collingwood need to win in the big moments when they are in the finals race by taking on the game. That did not happen in 2017.
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:59 pm

Pass mark for next year is 8th.

We've been sold the Richmond example as a reason for the Buckley retention and with the off field changes taking place it's time to deliver after 4 years without finals.

Buckley is still not safe beyond the next 2 years however unless we back up again in 2019 or somehow happen to make the grand final next season.

History shows most sides generally have to contend by playing in multiple final series before ultimately winning the flag or making a grand final.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:05 pm

Finals.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:43 pm

No idea what constitutes a pass mark, as it's all relative and I don't know what the club is expecting internally next year.

I'm hoping we're better than last year and we attain more wins, so we need to win at least 10 or more games based on that assumption.

Finishing in the top 8 would be regarded as a success for mine, but I'm not confident on it happening unfortunately but never say never.

daicos35 Leo

Is é an Phríomhroinn linne

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:48 am

The pass is when the players kick the ball to each other.

The mark is when they catch it.

It was the same this year.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing (It's late)

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:48 am

Win the Flag!
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:30 am
Post subject: Re: What’s the pass mark for next year for our team and coacReply with quote

E wrote:
think positive wrote:
princem007 wrote:
Wooden spoon - positive - draft picks in strong year - coach : not even Eddie can save bucks
Bottom 4 - see above - coach : bucks likely
Gone- no second year
Consolidate our position from 13th to
11th - see above - coach - bucks likely
Gone or fighting for second year
10th to 6th - modest improvement - coach :Bucks gets his second year maybe with question marks
Top 8 - solid improvement - coach - Buckley safe - gets second year of contract
Top 4 - awesome year - coach - Buckley safe - extension of 2 years

Dare I say - Flag ?? ( bitchmond did it from 13th ) - coach - Buckley coach for life

That all sounds very fair.

As for the ones wanting to go in with no expectation, sorry, can’t do that. This year I took a serious look at adjusting my memberships, legend ain’t cheap, and I go to the footy for enjoyment, if I’m not enjoying myself, why go? Judge me I don’t care, I work hard for my money and I’m not wasting it on a cold bad time at the footy! 2011 we were still winning but gees some of those games sapped the life out of me. It’s not winning at the end that is the pass, but I want to see professional standard, not shitty dinky laughable fumbles. I know we are capable of it. It’s time to bring it consistently or next year, I will do more than just looking at it.

TP, do you agree that in the last 10 weeks of the season we were worth the price of admission. we gave our all, never gave up, and played some pretty good footy.

I actually think this team is really watchable and I'm enjoying watching them gel.

The only reason why I didn’t make changes for next season. Still far too many games of ‘god thi# is boring/terrible/embarrassing!

K 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:41 am
Post subject: Re: What’s the pass mark for next year for our team and coacReply with quote

think positive wrote:

As for the ones wanting to go in with no expectation, sorry, can’t do that. This year I took a serious look at adjusting my memberships, legend ain’t cheap, and I go to the footy for enjoyment, if I’m not enjoying myself, why go? Judge me I don’t care, I work hard for my money and I’m not wasting it on a cold bad time at the footy! 2011 we were still winning but gees some of those games sapped the life out of me. It’s not winning at the end that is the pass, but I want to see professional standard, not shitty dinky laughable fumbles. I know we are capable of it. It’s time to bring it consistently or next year, I will do more than just looking at it.

TP, can you confirm this sentence? I find it noteworthy...
AnthonyC Aquarius

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:39 am

K wrote:
think positive wrote:

I thought the same. Is it a typo or was it being bored at the footy because there was no competition?

I'm sure I've stated on this forum that in 2011 it was kind of ho-hum turning up every week 'knowing you were going to win'. The 2011 team is the best I can re-call for sustained success, failed at the last hurdle, but shit what a team. Could virtually literally flick a switch and play awesome footy.

I expect (hope) to play finals every year so hardly a pass mark for me, but it would be a good start.

duke750 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:57 am

As much as I think we should play finals, a pass mark for me is being able to watch our games without becoming so frustrated by the lack of direct attack. I don't want to sit yelling obscenities at the TV, screaming "for f&$ks sake, just kick the bloody thing....oh no, don't go backwards again!"

When we take the game on we look good.

I'm not sure whether Reid or Moore should play forward or back, but neither really scored heavily in 2017. Moore had 25 goals from 21 games and Reid had 14 from 15.

In 2018 we must easily beat Carlton and all the other lowly sides. Losses to Carlton, St Kilda, Essendon and Melbourne killed us this year.

We also need to learn how to put teams away late in games. Crucial.

MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:15 am

The club is the sum of all its parts, so I think we need to see past the senior coach and look at where we are as a club at this point and what we can realistically achieve as a club next year. The coach will say nothing less than a premiership next year while supporters will have lower sights given our stagnation in recent years.

Thirteenth position this year was actually a good result given the upheaval at the end of last year with Balme leaving and Gubby Allan coming and making his mark, then leaving under controversial circumstances and then Geoff Walsh having to right the ship.

Contrary to a few here our list isn't that good. We're lumbered with Mayne's salary, we have a hang over from having overpaid for Cloke's services a few year's back and didn't prepare for his replacement, we have too many slow plodding inside mid types, players such as Sinclair and Reid who struggle to get onto the field and an obvious lack of good KPP's.

The upside is a strong reasonably young midfield who take the game on and a sprinkling of senior talent who are good leaders on the field. If we can build on that by recruiting we'll in the national draft and then picking up some hidden gems in the rookie draft, then I can see us doing well in 2018. However our lack of proven goal kickers apart from Elliot will hold us back and prevent us having any impact on the final 8 next year. It usually comes back to a question of who is going to kick a winning score and unless something miraculously comes up I can't see where the goals are going to come from.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:04 pm

AnthonyC wrote:
K wrote:
think positive wrote:

I thought the same. Is it a typo or was it being bored at the footy because there was no competition?

I'm sure I've stated on this forum that in 2011 it was kind of ho-hum turning up every week 'knowing you were going to win'. The 2011 team is the best I can re-call for sustained success, failed at the last hurdle, but shit what a team. Could virtually literally flick a switch and play awesome footy.

I expect (hope) to play finals every year so hardly a pass mark for me, but it would be a good start.

Playing a half arsed game until the last quarter where we changed gear and won - worked for every team except 1 - three times we lost to the same team, the only games we lost all year, and after the second loss, when asked what happened (we got our arses handed to us, no one showed up to play, and I remember being as pissed off as I ever have been after that game) Pendles said to a journalist “we didn’t kick enough goals” with a smirk on his face. Right there is where we lost the grand final.

I was fortunate enough to assemble and coach a really good team from 9 and under all the way to ladies A Grade, changed a few players here and there, but for the most part the same kids. Every week no matter who we played, I expect effort, and professionalism in a kids arena, and if those kids dared to show boat when we were thrashing another team, I gave everyone of them what for, even the ones behaving. It was embarrassing and insulting, to me as coach, to the other team busting their arses, to the parents who came out to watch. We played 25 plus grand finals and won at least 70% of them, we were feared but respected. Last night I watched my daughter play in a team I don’t coach, they lost as they do most weeks to teams they should beat. Last week they lead for 3/4 and then threw it away, only 2 players could hold their head high, junior and another kid from the team I took all the way. So I cracked it and made a few smart arse comments, to which I got from one player “yes coach!” And a laugh. Last night they lost but only just, to the top team. They stopped mucking around, they still need to get the basics back up to scratch - ie no ball watching, go forward to every pass so no one jumps in front of you. Maybe they are just in it for fun, but I can’t help it, if I’m playing I want to win. At least 6 of the kids from that amazing team I coached have gone on to play in bigger leagues, including junior who gets paid to play A grade.

And I expect much much more from a team I pay a lot of money to go and watch, week in week out, in the cold cold dead of winter.

Or as with juniors ‘fun’ team, I’ll stay home!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3   

Jump to: