Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The 'me too' movement

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 35, 36, 37  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:56 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the English language.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:14 pm

Pi wrote:
Is this me too or something else...

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/britains-worst-ever-child-grooming-12165527

It's seriously farked up is what it is.

I don't think anyone could reasonably compare an adult woman being propositioned or touched up with children being repeatedly raped under threat.

Pi Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:59 pm

^

that's true, but the level of outrage in comparison is almost non existent... and we all know why.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:37 pm

There's multiple reasons why, none of them good.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:12 pm

The facts are significantly in dispute re Telford, but its clearly dire.

In truth, this stuff is simply the wages of a society which has ceased to believe that sex is more than a commodity of pleasure. It used to be a dangerous and serious act, controlled through marriage and religious belief. Technologies of contraception and antibiotics changed that. No doubt some good came of that change, but once you commoditise sex it will inevitably be trivialized, demanded, traded and stolen, especially from the vulnerable, and - human nature being what it is - especially from women.

I do not like the idea of going back to the sexual repressiveness of the 1950s, but I think we might have the humility to acknowledge that our brave new world is not obviously superior to the wisdom and seriousness of our grandparents, and that the middle class god of freedom always carries terrible costs for those without middle class resources. Since we tore apart marriage and ceased to believe in a higher authority than the pleasure-seeking self, we have created wastelands of social injustice and exploitation. We will never chase it away with police.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:14 pm

The thing was, way back before the 50's people still had sex out of wedlock. It's just that no access to contraceptives and the morality of the time meant some shitty consequences,

My paternal granparents got jiggy with it resulting in a shotgun marriage and a first born child handed off to relatives for several years until the dust settled. She was mortified when she found her parents marriage certificate after her mum died and did the maths.

My maternal grandfather was born to a single mother, something none of his siblings (or he for that matter) seemed to know. His mother married when he was 2 and he got along so well with his stepfather that at age 10, he had a fight with him then got on his horse and rode away, never to come back.

We can't romanticise the past, but we also shouldn't look at past behaviours through a present lens and judge them. The past is the past. A different planet and a different time.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:37 pm

Oh I agree. We cannot have the past back, even if we were foolish enough to want it. It too had many miseries, and more sex than we think. Contraception and antibiotics are both wonderful things, of course. But we make our world and choose our beliefs, and we can choose a better future based on the lessons of the past. I think we are too cocksure and historically amnesiac (exemplified in that word of consummate smugness, progressive) to even think about this clearly. One of the paradoxes of life is that what feels good often has the bitterest consequences, and especially for the poor and vulnerable.

Meanwhile, we might do well to ponder the great poem about sex by Philip Larkin, below (NB nicks filter deletes the f word from the second line. Larkin uses it) :

High Windows
BY PHILIP LARKIN

When I see a couple of kids
And guess hes $$%^%%$ her and shes
Taking pills or wearing a diaphragm,
I know this is paradise

Everyone old has dreamed of all their lives
Bonds and gestures pushed to one side
Like an outdated combine harvester,
And everyone young going down the long slide

To happiness, endlessly. I wonder if
Anyone looked at me, forty years back,
And thought, Thatll be the life;
No God any more, or sweating in the dark

About hell and that, or having to hide
What you think of the priest. He
And his lot will all go down the long slide
Like free bloody birds. And immediately

Rather than words comes the thought of high windows:
The sun-comprehending glass,
And beyond it, the deep blue air, that shows
Nothing, and is nowhere, and is endless.

ronrat 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:54 pm

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-03-24/adelaide-pub-hotel-longtime-backlash-over-name/9582278

This a sideshow to this issue. But is part of the Faux outrage that has nothing to do with reality. I have been in a few of these gogo bars and saw one ping pong show once (the girlfriend was with me), By far the majority of the punters were Koreans, Japanese and Chinese. If the author of the article doesn't need to fly from London to Adelaide to eat there. But unwittingly she has given them that most valuable of commodities for a small business. Free advertising. It is also a bit rich coming from a music producer. Eating a bowl of Pho is not going to have thousands of Adelaide people race of to Vietnam to bang hookers. I mean the movie is 30 years old and the story is about 50 years old.

K 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:31 pm

'I felt belittled': Eryn Jean Norvill speaks in Rush defamation case

https://www.theage.com.au/national/i-felt-belittled-eryn-jean-norvill-speaks-in-rush-defamation-case-20181030-p50ctp.html
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:34 pm

While he started the defamation case in a pretty strong position (and if I recall correctly the truth may not even be a sufficient defence for the Telegraph here; they have to prove that their reportage was reasonable given the facts that they then had access to), I have a feeling Rush isnt going to win this one. The court reports so far make it seem like a pretty open-and-shut case, to be honest, and having this all out in the open will take away the plausible deniability of a he-said / she-said affair. Ultimately, what he is alleged to have done is not a hanging offence, and theres no justification to chase him out of the public square (and I hate that reflex), but I do think its well past time that guys recognise that women shouldnt have to put up with this shit.
K 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:21 pm

David wrote:
While he started the defamation case in a pretty strong position (and if I recall correctly the truth may not even be a sufficient defence for the Telegraph here; they have to prove that their reportage was reasonable given the facts that they then had access to), I have a feeling Rush isnt going to win this one. ....

I'd be rather surprised if that were the case. Truth and opinion are two standard defences against defamation. They did not speak with Norvill before going to print, but if they've got the truth correct...? Who's to judge what facts they "then had access to"? [But I have noticed something in a post I made in another thread...] I'd like to see the original article they went with (to see what insinuations they may have made). Are they unavailable while the trial is in progress?

On my reading list:
https://hwlebsworth.com.au/geoffrey-rush-v-nationwide-news-pty-ltd-jonathon-moran/
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:40 am

It seems that the Telegraphs truth defence (that they would not be guilty of defamation if the story was substantially true) was, in fact, dismissed by the court back in March, but the alleged victims decision to testify seems to have been a big turning point in the case:

https://www.abc.net.au/mediawatch/episodes/rush-v-the-daily-telegraph,-update/10117296

MJ23 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:58 am

Have to say, in reading the testimony Rush looks to be in a bit of trouble.

He had a huge amount of power and she was stuck in a scene and situation where all her control was taken from her as she saw or understood it.

Not good and really feel for her

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:02 am

David wrote:
It seems that the Telegraphs truth defence (that they would not be guilty of defamation if the story was substantially true) was, in fact, dismissed by the court back in March, but the alleged victims decision to testify seems to have been a big turning point in the case:

https://www.abc.net.au/mediawatch/episodes/rush-v-the-daily-telegraph,-update/10117296

Witnesses including the director and actresses who were part of the production all denied Erin Norvill's claims (as you might expect) none of which was mentioned by Media Watch.The actors and the director were all in close proximity to Rush and Norvill throughout.

A lot of drama to unfold in this tragedy.

K 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:16 am

MJ23 wrote:
Have to say, in reading the testimony Rush looks to be in a bit of trouble.

It's still possible that The Daily Telegraph will lose the case and Rush will be in a lot of trouble (if, for example, his behaviour is deemed inappropriate, but the imputations of the articles --- that I'd like to see, but haven't --- are deemed far worse).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 35, 36, 37  Next
Page 5 of 37   

Jump to: