Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post Match. Pies down to Tigers - All comments please.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 3:02 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Where is deep in the season when every side has some injuries and niggles our core group of players will be able to fill a variety of roles as required ?
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 4:29 pm

qldmagpie67 wrote:
With the wife off spending a few days on the Gold Coast with our son I decided to use my time wisely.
So I have watched our last 4 games because I wanted to refresh my memory on a few things.
The one thing that stands out other than our competitiveness is the way th coaches have rotated players to various roles and the way we managed our interchange.
When Pendles was having a spell both Treloar and Sidey were in the middle, if Sidey was off Treloar & Pendles were there see a pattern always keep 2 of the most experienced players around the ball at all times.
The use of Aish has been interesting. He's played on ball and wing but also spent time as a small forward.
Come deep in the season when every side has some injuries and niggles our core group of players will be able to fill a variety of roles as required.
On the Tigers game all there good work came from Houli, Rance Cotchin, Martin & JR. If Martin and 1 other of those go down the Tigers will fall faster than Dyso pants at $1 day in Thailand
They are so overly relying on a handful of players it's ridiculous.
We were able to hold them for everything bar the last 15 of the last quarter. We were within 14 points at that time and if Phillips had held his feet when the ball was bouncing around the goal line it would have been single digits.
They had there best side minus maybe Rioli. We were missing Wells Moore Adams Varcoe Elliott all of wno would be certain starters in September and then add in Greenwood Faz Langdon Wills for possible depth if injuries hit
We didn't lose any fans in the media after that game
I spoke to a old mate of mine who was fitness coordinator in the NRL for many years and asked how important that 1 day would be in recovery. He said without knowing th surface condition and the miles run he said it would be about a 25% physical improvement. He said days 1&2 after a game are basically just working the stiffness out and commencing treating on any bruises, bumps, corks. He said days 3&4 would be about stretching and some light field or gym work. He said the next 2 days the players legs would be able to handle 90%+ of normal training requirements.
Basically it means they were in recovery getting treated while we were still bashing ourselves against the bummers.
That 24 hours turned out to be a lot in the scheme of the bodies ability to recover.
I'm ok with being 3-3 considering Elliott hasn't played a game yet and Moore has missed all bar 1 and a bit. If I was offered 3-3 at the beginning of the season looking s ththe draw I would have taken it. We played 3 sides who were in the last 4 alive last season plus the Hawks Essendon and the scum.
Other than the Hawks gsme we have been more than competitive and have had our chances.
Even last weekend had we kicked some set shots early instead of being 1 from 5 set shots we could have had a decent lead. Dunn gave up a silly one so who knows what we could have been up by at half time could have been 20+ easily and then it's a different ball game.
I don't fear the Tigers I think with a fully fit list at our disposal we can at a minimum push them to the absolute limits.
If it comes down to skill I think we have more players that can do something special

Good post Qld. One slight correction is that we were 20 down when Phillips slipped on the goal line, and we wouldnt have got it back to single digits. That game was really cooked for us by the short break, the three injuries (including ?Grundy, who was arguably the most critical) and the difference in the experience profile of the two sides. I agree that we will probably have them by year end, assuming our youngsters continue to develop. Our boys were unbelievably brave, and it is all going to stand us in good stead in the end.

I am worried about a let down this week against notionally weaker opposition, after we worked over unrecovered bodies so hard last Sunday.

Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 4:30 pm

Small correction. We were down 20 when Phillips did his best slip n slide impression. That goal wouldve cut the margin to 14.

I still cant believe after his muffed goal line effort vs Hawthorn in the last quarter when we were coming (wouldve reduced the margin to 3 goals), he did the same things vs Richmond. He gets the ball a lot, but damn he frustrates the hell out of me more than any other player.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 4:37 pm

^ meh, he slipped. It happens. There was a reason he got there, dont forget. Most players with less aerobic fitness wouldnt have got there.
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 6:57 pm

My bad your correct Muggy that goal would have left us 14 down
I wrote 14 on my notes then deducted 6 when writing post lol
At least my maths is good right !!
Mossi Leo

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 3:49 am

Mugwump wrote:

I am worried about a let down this week against notionally weaker opposition, after we worked over unrecovered bodies so hard last Sunday.

It's crossed my mind as well! Hope the match committee get it right with selecting the side I would keep Appleby and one of Blair or Mayne in. I would make the least amount of changes given we lost Aish and Reid.

Last edited by Mossi on Wed May 02, 2018 4:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 3:54 am

What would make you make the least amount of changes given we lost Aish and Reid?
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 3:18 pm

Now I cant recall which media tv (there are so many) but it was Dunstall
Jonathan Brown ,Garry Lyon and Paul Roos

The Chief started by applauding our efforts and Roos acknowledged we were
heading in the right direction whilst Brown said ziltch

Turd face Lyon They got flogged by 43 points and we are giving wraps to them

Now not word for word mind but that thing had to be negative

Never much liked him anyways

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 3:35 pm

K wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
the kid who Dunn felled in the goal square is a ripper. ...

We shall see. If he'd been drafted by Carlton, he'd have played 6 games and kicked 0 goals.
We'll see whether this kid has any improvement left in him.

That's easily solved by Richmond; they can put Rioli back in when he's fit.

BazBoy 

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 3:59 pm

Oh yes and Paul Roos was quite upbeat about our defencesaid he had never
seen one quite like it

The fact that Pies got numbers to every contest and at least two players laying
tackles

He saw it as ferocious and maniacal

Geek 

geek

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 5:56 pm

piedys wrote:

Wouldn't it be justice if we say finished 4th and scored them in a QF at the MCG? You'd tell Greenwood "no holds barred, anything goes", and just play a Duckwood game on him. He snipes Levi, and gets 3 weeks. If only...

Luke Darcy: "Yeah look the hit is technically there. I mean, it looks like he's broken Greenwood's jaw and all but geez Richo, you don't like to see players miss a grand final for that sort of thing..."

Bank it.
K 

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 5:58 pm

watt price tully wrote:
K wrote:
watt price tully wrote:

We shall see. ...

Rioli is the most promising player they have outside their Big Four. Most of the rest are junk. But we are living in junk times.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 6:08 pm

K wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
K wrote:
watt price tully wrote:

We shall see. ...

Rioli is the most promising player they have outside their Big Four. Most of the rest are junk. But we are living in junk times.

I reckon that's also underestimating the oppostion. Have to agree to disagree. Richmond have many fine players who are playing well apart from the big 4. The ones I've listed were just off the top of my head. Someone last year I think on the first time we played the tigers dismissed Nankervis too; he's a ripper who works hard.

K 

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 6:57 pm

^^^
On the original topic, "the kid who Dunn felled" (a silly thing for Dunn to do), let me say that the big question surrounding Higgins prior to the draft was whether he'd basically reached his peak. He was known as a footy junkie, which could be regarded as a good thing, but the other way of viewing it is that it means he's just got to his endpoint early (even without consideration of possible burnout, etc.). This would no doubt have been a smaller concern for recruiters if he were bigger or faster or had obviously silky skills.

On the new topic, Richmond... Well, I need to take a deep breath first. (But Nicksters seem to be split on this issue, so it seems you are not alone in your views.)

Ah, yes, Richmond. Well, first, they ought to be judged by the standard of premiers, since that's what they are. Doing that is clearly not flattering to them. (They got lucky with their timing.) Second, if you value kicking skills really highly, you cannot really be too impressed by them. There is more to football than kicking, but surely it's reasonable to expect a certain minimum standard...
A comment in another thread is relevant here:
http://magpies.net/nick/bb/viewtopic.php?p=1832824#1832824
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13
Page 13 of 13   

Jump to: