Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post Match. Pies beat Saints - All comments please.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 8:45 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

WE won an ugly game, that's it, take it and run, saints were desperate to win this one, like the LIons v hawks, we did well to win. Id rather win ugly than lose brilliantly. imagine if we had had Reid, Moore, Elliott, a firing Fas in, maybe Aish, wed have poleaxed em, but I'm happy. Now for some doggie stew.! Oh And sign De Goey, a s a p.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
lanstro 

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 10:50 pm

I only caught the last quarter and a bit on Saturday and like most here I thought we looked woeful. Bottom 4 side stuff.

Just caught up on the rest of the match. Given all the comments, I was pleasantly surprised at how well we played. Barring some loose defending, we looked quite good in the second quarter too.

From the last few games, the theme that struck me is that we're just always one piece of the puzzle away from it all clicking like it did against the Crows.

For example, against Brisbane, the offence looked great, but the team defence was shocking.

Against Geelong, it the opposite for the first half. Then in the second half when the offensive side started working, the finishing let us down.

Against the Saints, for the first 3 quarters, again the offence looked pretty good but the team defence was poor. In the last, the defending was fixed but then the skill errors came in and the attacking structures failed.

Against Richmond, we had the grit to hang in there against a superior team, but injuries, endurance and just being a little worse across the board did us in the end.

On a smaller scale, some of our players are likewise just a tiny bit off taking a big next step. WHE has been great with at least a goal every game, but you feel like he has all the tools (and opportunities!) to get that up to 2+ a game and become a genuine star. Could have easily had 4 vs the Saints I thought. Cox needs to just hold a few more marks and actually take a shot when he does - if he can keep providing a contest but also kick 1-2 a game then we won't need to chase Lynch.

If Grundy actually tapped it to our advantage then he'll be the equal of any of the great rucks of the last 30 years. Crocker, Varcoe, Mayne and even Sidey have been missing some pretty gettable shots. Appleby and Murray just need to improve their kicking and defending a little bit and they'll be serviceable in their roles.

It's such a tight competition that when we're that little bit off, we can only barely beat the bottom 4 teams, but when we have it all clicking we can crush last year's grand finalists and kind of keep pace with the premiers. I think a pass mark for this year for the coaching team is seeing whether they can get the balance between attack and defence right more often, and a pass mark for many of our players will be whether they can improve the main weaknesses in their games.
jatsad 

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 11:08 pm

Ev5Magpies wrote:
PyreneesPie wrote:
On SEN this morning, David King (whose comments usually, but not always, seem to be worthwhile), said that the Pies will pay JDG whatever he's worth in the market place at the end of the season to retain him, perhaps even at the expense of letting Darcy Moore go.

Also said that at present, our forward game seems to be set up around him and that he may not have that luxury at another team like North, where they already have the numero uno big tall. JDG may have to play second fiddle at another club and King thought that may come into JDG's thinking about whether to go or stay.

Honestly, whatever media commentators say has to be taken with a grain of salt most of the time. Just found this interesting because it brought into play another another factor I haven't seen discussed as yet - basically, whether JDG could see himself being happy and able to play his best footy at another club.

Damien Barrett said the opposite on Triple M just then. Said his asking price is hovering around $750K currently & Collingwood won't pay that much to keep him. Said St Kilda & North have been working on him since last year

Whom really gives a stuff what Damien "the ambulance chaser" Barrett has to say anyway.

He's been constantly wrong before and will be again.

kymbo5@yahoo.com.au 

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 7:33 am

I liked the fact that as a whole we played poorly but still won. That’s what the best sides do. It’s been a long time since we did that. We are on the up and up.
E 

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 3:26 pm

kymbo5@yahoo.com.au wrote:
I liked the fact that as a whole we played poorly but still won. That’s what the best sides do. It’s been a long time since we did that. We are on the up and up.

its also what mediocre teams who are better than their crappy opponent do......

Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 4:11 pm

E wrote:

Post of the week.

Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 10:50 pm

Was at the match. Killed it in the 3rd. But thought we could have buried them in the final quarter.

Overall, happy to get the win.

Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 12:51 am

That being said, St Kilda missed a shit load of running goals in the third quarter, like freebies under no pressure. They split us open too easily.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 10:59 am

Raw Hammer wrote:
E wrote:

Post of the week.

Unless you’re a Cats or Hawks supporter.
The Saints will soon win one, even despite themselves.
At least it wasn’t against us.
BBHS Cancer

bbhs

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 11:16 am

^
The difference between all teams is the smallest it's ever been. No game is really an upset as it doesn't take much of a performance drop to get beaten.
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 11:19 am

True statement a real reason to bring your A game every match or risk a defeat
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10   

Jump to: