Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Anyone not think getting rid of this guy was a mistake?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
E 

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 11:10 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Pies4shaw wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
roxymeg wrote:
Cam wrote:
List clogger Seedsman. Not a big game player, wouldn't have survived under Malthouse either.

Anzac Day not a big game???
Seedsman was never liked or given a go by the coach.

Not true. Seedsman was told several times to move out of his group house and stop partying on with his mates, as it was preventing him from being fully fit. He ignored the club's advice and so was eventually told to move on. It's taken him a further 3 yrs at the Crows to start playing some decent footy. I wish him well, but am glad he's no longer with us.

Also, he played 49 games for us (and, to be fair, not too many good ones), so it’s difficult to sustain a claim that he wasn’t given a go. Anyway, it might be that, like plenty of others, he performs better in a better team because the odds against him aren’t so overwhelming. I don’t think one could confidently assert that he’d do the same job as he does at Adelaide if he were dumped back into our also-ran team.

From the reporting it sounded like he had a coming to Jesus moment middle last year and reacted in a positive way. Realized footy was basically done (evidently he actually seemed to embrace his footy mortality for a while and then decided - no - time to get to work in a serious way - what we are seeing is the result of a dedicated Seedsman being the best he can be). He has also had his first sustained period of health (which i think explains more cases of players who don't make it or meet expectations than people realize).

Again, my point is not whether we were right to get rid of him. His body of work and the number of chances he blew makes it a relatively simple decision (he was expendable). Obviously at the time it was the right call.

My point was that some of the great clubs (that win premierships) have this ability to bring the best out of players without having to trade them and without them getting down to their final chance. Or maybe they get lucky and they dont recruit those players during the window that results in their premiership. I dont know. All i know is, what our team is crying out for (partly resolved by Murray - but he isnt proven), is a half back who gains acres and acres of meterage while linking defense into attack (i.e., precisely what Seedsman is doing right now).

We gave up a second round pick to get Murray. If Seedsman was performing the role already, maybe we can use that pick on a KPP.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3   

Jump to: