Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Moore looking to Leave Melbourne

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
magpieazza 

magpieazza

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 8:58 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Hindsight is a nice thing but I would not have folded to Clokes demands in 2012.
That whole bloody year was tarnished by his disruptive demands which clearly affected the whole team.

Dont know if anyone actually remembers that year but it was a media frenzy and it was disruptive to the club. We were having a great year and yet the stench of his contract negotiations hung around like a bad smell.

I would have traded him for 2 or 3 high draft picks as there were clubs very interested in his services, and now we would be reaping the benefits of having 2 or 3 highly rated players in their mid 20s ....but thats just me.

Sorry for digging up old crap but that guy and his father held Collingwood over the barrell all year long and I keep going back to the old adage "No one player is bigger than the club."

cityslick1 

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 9:09 am

^^ like
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 9:35 am

magpieazza wrote:
Hindsight is a nice thing but I would not have folded to Clokes demands in 2012.
That whole bloody year was tarnished by his disruptive demands which clearly affected the whole team.

Dont know if anyone actually remembers that year but it was a media frenzy and it was disruptive to the club. We were having a great year and yet the stench of his contract negotiations hung around like a bad smell.

I would have traded him for 2 or 3 high draft picks as there were clubs very interested in his services, and now we would be reaping the benefits of having 2 or 3 highly rated players in their mid 20s ....but thats just me.

Sorry for digging up old crap but that guy and his father held Collingwood over the barrell all year long and I keep going back to the old adage "No one player is bigger than the club."

That’s a reasonable view to take. It’s one thing, though, to recognise Cloke’s massive trade currency at that time - as you’re doing - and another thing altogether to pretend that Moore has been anywhere near as productive as Cloke was. I weighed in on the issue because of a comment that Moore’s first three years were better than Cloke’s. The statistics generally, the Copeland Trophy and the astonishing finals performance all say that’s delusional.

With the benefit of hindsight, we probably should have traded Cloke just as he was about to peak in 2012/2013. I think the Club then thought that we were reloading for a flag tilt, though, so they probably took the view that trading out our best CHF of the past 50 years wasn’t a smart move. Also, the pressure on the Club would then have been immense - imagine the reaction when Cloke kicked 127 goals over two seasons and we were running Lynch and White at CHF. It wouldn’t have been pretty.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 7:58 pm

HIs dad always said one of his biggest mistakes was leaving the Pies to end his career at the shit Deeeees, he regretted it a lot in later years. I think Darcy will stay, and De Goey, tell these other clubs to go get cattle trucked.!

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3   

Jump to: