Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Ireland - referendum on Abortion

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 12:05 pm
Post subject: Ireland - referendum on AbortionReply with quote

I didn't even realise they were going to the polls until I chanced upon an article online.

Ireland has held a referendum to amend their constitution by repealing the 8th amendment. That amendment prohibits abortion.

Looks like it's a resounding Yes vote, although official results might not be in for a day or 2.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/abortion-referendum-ireland-live-updates-12594615

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 1:03 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

With this and the same-sex marriage referendum, seems like the country is finally throwing off its Catholic shackles. I’m not necessarily comfortable with totally unrestricted abortion, but this cautious proposal brings Ireland into line with most Western countries and puts an end to some of the needless suffering that has been inflicted on women in years past.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 5:52 pm

From what I read, the proposal is for unrestricted access to abortion in the first 12 weeks only, then between 12 and 24 weeks subject to medical advice/recommendation.

I reckon that's pretty reasonable and I'd be comfortable with that.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 6:22 pm

I have a list to submit as candidates for retrsospective procedures.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 6:23 pm

Interesting. I have a lot of answers to silly questions.
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 6:40 pm

The Irish are slow to catch up. They are starting Neighbours next week.
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 8:48 pm

Couldn't be happier for Ireland if this comes through.

For what it's worth, my working theory is that the combined effects of British interference and dated Catholicism are still wet blanket on the development of the country. It's presumably harder to overcome colonial economic distortion - and ongoing chauvinism and contempt from Tory Brexiters and friends - when your own society and institutions are themselves stifled from within by outmoded conservative religion.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 1:10 am

Are you still based there, PTID? What are your impressions of how the referendum debate has played out?
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 2:48 am

David wrote:
Are you still based there, PTID? What are your impressions of how the referendum debate has played out?

I'm in the UK now. I haven't followed the referendum debate closely, but I'm certainly cheering on reform.

Again, this sort of social observation is only impressionistic, but I did sense many people in Ireland were working hard to improve the country in the face of strong historical head winds. While I mostly assessed this from the POV of basic infrastructure, this is an important litmus test. At least in Dublin (which is the capital, no less), the housing quality and supply, council service delivery, maintenance and cleanliness, and so on, was below par.

I might be wrong, but I could smell old money and old ties holding things back through things like dodgy privatisation and house inflation protectionism (i.e., laws which favour the inflation of old money investments rather than the everyday needs of the population, coupled with a convenient lack of standards enforcement). This might be a universal, but it's the extent to which it makes life unpleasant that counts.

Of course, it's easy to forget that Ireland's modern development is very recent, so it's not surprising that a new push might be needed to keep the process going; low taxes can only get a country so far, surely. Also, the high GDP/capita recorded before the GFC is somewhat deceiving, because more recently-developed countries are coming off a lower wealth base, which means there is less by way of accumulated assets and infrastructure.

When ideas lag behind economic change, you would think at some point they would become a drag on progress. If so, taking on the church like this could prove crucial.

ronrat 

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 7:10 am

Pies4shaw wrote:

I have some sympathyt but the entire Carlton, Essonden, Richmond, AFL commission night be a stretch

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 8:29 am

ronrat wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:

I have some sympathyt but the entire Carlton, Essonden, Richmond, AFL commission night be a stretch

You never achieve anything without a plan.
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 6:52 pm

A two-thirds majority despite the elderly voting block is certainly something to cheer about.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 7:58 pm

pietillidie wrote:
Couldn't be happier for Ireland if this comes through.

For what it's worth, my working theory is that the combined effects of British interference and dated Catholicism are still wet blanket on the development of the country. It's presumably harder to overcome colonial economic distortion - and ongoing chauvinism and contempt from Tory Brexiters and friends - when your own society and institutions are themselves stifled from within by outmoded conservative religion.

I’ve always felt that abortion is a matter which is probably best voted upon by women rather than men, but any abortion seems a terrible failure. I still can’t escape the feeling that abortion is the killing of a human life which is in process. But if the group of people who are biologically designed to nurture children in their body see abortion as preferable to doing so, I cannot hope to change it.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 8:37 pm

^

Scott Adams has said something similar. That the decision on whether abortion should happen should be decided by women, not men.

For mine, there's as many women out there who aren't fit to be parents as men, so it's fair that everyone gets a say.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 8:50 pm

Mugwump wrote:
I’ve always felt that abortion is a matter which is probably best voted upon by women rather than men, but any abortion seems a terrible failure. I still can’t escape the feeling that abortion is the killing of a human life which is in process. But if the group of people who are biologically designed to nurture children in their body see abortion as preferable to doing so, I cannot hope to change it.

Fair enough. Having an aversion to abortion, and increasingly so as a foetus develops, would seem eminently reasonable.

At the same time, allowing for that aversion to be overridden on the basis of the extremity of the physical and psychological processes involved, their monumental lifetime implications, and the primacy of the person concerned, is also eminently reasonable.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: