Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Things that make you go.......WTF?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 244, 245, 246 ... 275, 276, 277  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:07 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

ronrat wrote:
swoop42 wrote:
And people thought de Goey was hard done by.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-02-21/german-man-fined-thousands-for-checkout-cheating/9471470

So if the MD of the company robbed drives in to a service station he probably expects to serve his own petrol. What about a hospital? Here is a bandage and a bit of Savlon. Supermarkets want to go this way then they have to factor this in.

I was once in a Safeways Malvern and 14 very large porterhouse steaks were labelled "soup bones" 14 cents. So I took them and the checkout scanned it as labelled. My housemate said it was stealing. No it wasn't. They labelled it, not me. Apparently it is quite common for workers to mis abel things so Mum/Dad/housemate grabs it and walks out the door. I just got there at the right time.

To pass judgement on a persons ability to pay etc is as bad as giving a person a harsher sentence because of colour.

And yes JDG is paying well overs. So is this bloke. The punishment should fit the crime. The directors of these massive companies commit more corruption and fraud than some poor bugger eating a few grapes. And probably pay less tax.

A guy earning over $450,000 per year has a track record of dishonesty offences and tax evasion and has done this very same thing three times before - a message has to be sent. The fine was the equivalent of a bit under 9 months of his income. If he were on "Newstart" allowance, the proportionate fine would be $12,600 - except, of course, that that wouldn't be proportionate because the person on "Newstart" wouldn't be able to eat on the $3,502 they were left with for the rest of the year, whereas he'll probably survive well enough on his other $125,000, even if he accidentally pays tax on it.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:26 am

Good point. Does that mean the judge knew his history before he passed sentence? Which I believe he should. Wether it’s rational or not his being well off makes it worse in my head anyway.

Just as an aside, have you ever seen anyone do a runner at those things? I saw a guy do it at our local, he was a bout seven foot tall and took off like a rocket, the assistant had called him on it, she was so upset. I guess basically the shops have weighted up the cost of theft against the cost of wages. I like them, but I can see how they ain’t particularly good for unemployment figures.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:01 am

think positive wrote:
Good point. Does that mean the judge knew his history before he passed sentence? Which I believe he should. Wether it’s rational or not his being well off makes it worse in my head anyway.

Just as an aside, have you ever seen anyone do a runner at those things? I saw a guy do it at our local, he was a bout seven foot tall and took off like a rocket, the assistant had called him on it, she was so upset. I guess basically the shops have weighted up the cost of theft against the cost of wages. I like them, but I can see how they ain’t particularly good for unemployment figures.

It is usual in our system for the judge to know about priors before sentencing (though, in most cases, not during the actual trial - for fear that irrelevant past "priors" might increase the likelihood that an innocent person might be found guilty). I'm confident from reading the report that the Court was aware of the priors by sentencing (otherwise, they probably wouldn't have found their way into the news coverage). I'm less clear about when - it is quite possible that his three previous convictions for doing the same thing could have been introduced at the trial (they could well have been what we would call "similar fact" evidence that tends to prove guilt) but the other theft and tax evasion matters would not (in our system) have been mentioned until sentencing. To explain the distinction - the fact someone is convicted of robbing one bank doesn't mean that they robbed the next bank they're on trial for robbing - but, sometimes, the modus operandi and the particular details of the previous offence are so similar that we would accept that the fact they were the perpetrator of the previous one makes it much more likely that they were the perpetrator of the second one (that is, the principle is supposed to distinguish between our general prejudice against bank robbers on the one hand and specific matters that "link" the two crimes on the other hand).

Either way, our judges would ordinarily know the entire criminal history before sentencing. Sometimes, of course, key aspects of a defendant's criminal history aren't put before a court dealing with a bail or sentencing application and we often tend to blame the judge or magistrate for "letting them off lightly" in such cases when, in fact, the failure is commonly in the record-keeping system or in the prosecution's diligence.

In short, it is extremely unlikely that this fellow was given a $326,000 fine for shoplifting something worth somewhere between $50 and $100 without the judge knowing the defendant had done the same thing 3 times before and had a string of other dishonesty offences. Here, it's quite likely that a first offence of this kind would get a slap over the wrist - and probably a modest fine but no conviction recorded, whereas by the fourth time, taken along with the other dishonesty convictions, it'd probably look like jail time would be appropriate. I'm guessing, of course - I've never acted in a criminal case - and certainly not in Germany.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:33 pm

cool, thanks for the explanation
ronrat 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:57 pm

The bastard in ACT who forcrd young girls into posting nude photos of themselves with blackmail gets a few years but most is suspended and will be out in under a year. The friggin community deserves better than this slap on the wrist . I don't care if he is remorseful, Those poor girls may never get their lives back. Every now and then a non judicial smacking is required to teach these creeps it aint on.

The only computer this mongrel should get near in the future is the one at Centrelink. Sitting next to the bozo who sentenced him.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:07 pm

Seriously?

This Muslim tool beats an old jewish woman to death, throws her off a balcony and it takes 12 months to admit it was an Anti Semitic act?

https://www.ibtimes.co.uk/elderly-jewish-woman-thrown-off-balcony-by-muslim-neighbour-was-anti-semitic-murder-france-finally-1664456

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:56 pm

^ I actually do not care whether it was “aggravated”. The term itself shows the rot that we are in. The crime alone, regardless of motive, was enough to send him to the guillotine in any state that really cared about the vulnerable and wanted to prevent future beating and murder of innocents by violent thugs.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:49 pm

Talk about being aware of your surroundings, you don't notice a 7 metre snake sneaking up on you when you're doing the gardening?

Quote:
AN Indonesian woman has been found in the belly of a giant python after the swollen snake was captured near where she vanished while tending her vegetable garden, police have said.

The body of 54-year-old Wa Tiba was found on Friday when villagers cut open the seven-metre python which was found bloated in the village of Persiapan Lawela on the island of Muna, offshore of Sulawesi.

“Residents were suspicious the snake swallowed the victim, so they killed it, then carried it out of the garden,” said local police chief Hamka, who like many Indonesians has only one name.

“The snake’s belly was cut open and the body of the victim was found inside.”

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/technology/science/missing-indonesian-found-in-belly-of-python/news-story/7b9e59dbf819ae1c18a4da1941cfdc41

Apparently she was swallowed whole, head first. You'd seriously want to be unconscious before it started trying to swallow you. Imagine being still awake and having that open mouth clamping over your head.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:51 pm

it then carried it out of the garden” said local police chief Hamka who like many Indonesians has one name was killed?
ronrat 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:12 am

Watching a show on Nat Geo. About having to kill wild animals who had harmed humans. Cafe Buffalo about to get shot by some USA woman on safari gets gored in Africa as she takes aim at her baby. . Someone interferes with a big cats cubs and gets attacked. Some other idiot teases an Elephant and gets charged. You can hear her. I will take the baby and you take the mother.

Disappointed in Nat Geo.

Should have been. This is what happens when you want to play with nature.

I know 2 posters on here who would have been cheering the animals. 3 if you include me.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:29 am

Capital punishment for animals. Kind of medieval, isn’t it! Do they try to justify it, or is it just taken as a given that a life must be taken for a life?
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:02 am

^

I interpret the intent as being preventative rather than punishment. The theory is that once an animal has killed a human, it's likely to do it again. Particularly a carnivore. So you kill it to prevent it taking more lives.

There's some merit in the theory in some situations, but also flaws.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:06 am

^ Does anyone know how true that is in practice? Certainly, in the examples given by RR, it’s hard to see how that could apply.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:09 am

What else is in practise?
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:55 am

David wrote:
^ Does anyone know how true that is in practice? Certainly, in the examples given by RR, it’s hard to see how that could apply.

They worry the animal will attack villages.

At Yellowstone there are strict laws about distances from animals and obviously no firearms allowed.

We saw a grizzly and her cub on a hill and there were three rangers making everyone keep their distance. A good 100 m or more.

We saw an exhibition showing the good old days with people hand feeding bears for photos, the bears got used to easy food and would get confrontational if they didn’t get food and so the bear becomes a nusience bear and is in danger of being put down.

I went to a bear sanctuary were bears rescued before someone killed them for hanging around towns or tips live. Even where hunting is allowed they have these refuges

And yes go the animals, should not be killed for human greed and stupidity

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 244, 245, 246 ... 275, 276, 277  Next
Page 245 of 277   

Jump to: