Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post Match. Pies wallop Dees - All comments please.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:00 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Geek wrote:
To be fair P4S - a lot of the clamouring for Sidey up forward was due to him probably being our best small forward talent. He knows how to get it, where to put it and he can do it off both feet.

Everyone will point to Elliott but his injury history is a huge issue and it is likely that if e comes back he will have lost that leap and therefore one of his most potent weapons.

I reckon Sidey has failed as a forward in what.. one game where he was up there for the majority? Yeah he's a great mid in a team that has loaded up excessively on mids. But prior to the recruitment of Stevo and the emergence of WHE and JdG as forwards, Sidey was probably our sharpest weapon up forward.

Wait for the haters to take you up and start the new thread "Sidey a failure as a forward". Wink
the fuzz 

Fuzz loves Bruzz

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:38 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
the fuzz wrote:
What a win!!
It was an emotional game for me. My Dad was diagnosed with MND last year. He hasn't been able to attend a game this year due to his health, but he was there to watch the Pies smash the Dees on Monday. It was the best. Thank you Collingwood!! All class and a gusty performance. A great day.

I'm sorry to hear about your Dad but I'm very pleased for you and him that he was able to get to that game and enjoy a tremendous victory. I hope he's able to get to many more.

Thanks mate!
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:08 pm

Only managed to watch the game last night, but that was an outstanding performance. It was one of the best performances I've under seen under a Buckley-led team.

It was evident early that we were switched on with our relentless tackling pressure. We've been lacklustre in our starts this year, so to see us set the tone early was fantastic. In the first quarter, the time in forward half was about 75% to 25% in our favour, and with us hitting the post on three occasions, you could argue we should have been further in front.

Starting De Goey in the middle worked, and he was an absolute bull in the first half. The coaching staff have a good dilemma on their hands in terms of where they believe De Goey is best suited going forward. He can play as a strong marking forward target, but I think his best work is still in the middle.

It was inevitable that Melbourne would respond after a fast start, and I think they had us on the ropes for a period of time in the second quarter, especially when they got within 5 points, but our ability to withstand their comeback was outstanding and we were well on top in the second half. We didn't give them any time and space and essentially stifled the way they like to play.

The big numbers to come out of the game was the domination we had with time in our forward half and winning the clearances comprehensively. Gawn got the better of Grundy early, but the longer the game went on, Grundy got the better of him I felt. It was a good contest by arguably the two best rucks in the competition.

Melbourne went in with a plan to tag Phillips, and while that was somewhat effective for them in one respect, it was also problematic in the sense that Brayshaw had no impact on the game either so Phillips receiving the tag meant the other mids could get off their leashes with ease and it nullified one of Melbourne's important midfielders.

Mason Cox was excellent. That's the best I've seen him play and he looked confident in all facets of his game. His marking was excellent and his kicking for goal was stupendous. I think De Goey was BOG, but I don't begrudge Cox receiving the accolades for being officially declared BOG.

Seeing our mid-sized forwards in Hoskin-Elliott, Stephenson and Thomas pile on massive scoreboard pressure is becoming refreshing to watch. We haven't had a forward line this deadly in years, and the unpredictability it throws up for opposition teams means we're finally piling on the goals. The last time we scored 20 goals in consecutive weeks was in 2011. I'm looking forward to the prospect of when Elliott returns to the senior side.

In terms of any flaws in the game, McDonald got the better of our defenders. It's hard watching on TV, but it seemed like that Scharenberg was playing on him for a extended period of time, but at least we kept Hogan goalless which no other team has been able to do this year.

Overall, a fantastic performance and while I wasn't there to see it live, I'm starting to believe that something special is emerging. We've seen a few false dawns over the years, but I think this team is starting to mature and believe in themselves now.

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:12 pm

the fuzz wrote:
What a win!!
It was an emotional game for me. My Dad was diagnosed with MND last year. He hasn't been able to attend a game this year due to his health, but he was there to watch the Pies smash the Dees on Monday. It was the best. Thank you Collingwood!! All class and a gusty performance. A great day.

I'm very sorry to hear about your father, but it sounds like he enjoyed a fantastic victory on Monday.

Like P4S said, I'm hoping he can witness many more victories in the near future.

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:13 pm

inxs88 wrote:
Jezza wrote:
Exam went well.

Absolutely stoked by the score line Smile

A double celebration

I'll raise a toast to that Smile

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:22 pm

Buckley's Press Conference:

How satisfying is that win?
Quote:
"Extremely. Every win is. We played probably our most consistent four quarter performance to date and there's still a lot of improvement and there's still some things I reckon we can get better at but we'll leave that for review, because I thought our intent from the start was really strong and in the end when you look at the ability of us to prevent a side that has been really going inside their forward 50 heavily, averaging 65 in the last six ti seven weeks to be able to keep them to 40 odd was the most pleasing part of the game"

How much of that is owed to the midfield getting on top?
Quote:
"I think our clearance work, that was as I said as consistent four quarter performance out of our clearances. We were really happy to see our gradual improvement in the centre bounce over the last couple of weeks. We think our forward 50 has been dangerous, and I think we kicked 3 or 4 from forward 50 stoppages today, and our midfield stuff has been consistent through the year, so it's been pretty good. We realise that there's areas of the game that we're doing well and we want to reinforce those and shine a light on them, but we want to keep adding to that because it's unrelenting to keep improving".

So much was made of the Gawn-Grundy battle, and Grundy won the hit outs. How much work went into that during the week?
Quote:
"Brodie and Anthony Rocca do a mountain of preparation on their direct opponent. I think Brodie's philosophy with that is very similar to ours. We spend enough time on the opposition to know them and then we come back to focus on ourselves and what we can bring to the table. Brodie's strengths are pretty obvious. I think it was still a fair contest through the whole game, but Brodie continues to rise to the challenge and I love that about him because he will always give his best".

What about Mason Cox. Were you pretty happy with him?
Quote:
"Yeah, he looked dangerous from the start. We were able to access him at the right times when it looked like we had isolation against his direct opponent and he's improving his body language to the ball carrier to let him know where he wants the ball kicked and to let him know that I'm going to win this contest, so that's an evolution for Mason and he's developing that. It's probably a snapshot of our development as a team as we still have a lot of growth in us to understand each other a little bit better and to continue to build on the early season platform we've put together".

Does Cox's ability to kick the ball 50 metres and further now, is that one other thing that has predictably taken a bit of time to happen?
Quote:
"Well, he was kicking longer last year to be honest. He was consistently having set shots from outside 50 and making the distance, and that's the first time he's done it this year. We were really keen on him to share the ball from aerial contest up in the midfield, and he sort of took that literally and started sharing it a little bit even when he was potentially within scoring range. He has the capacity to be able to finish from distance. He probably forgotten about it a little bit early this year, but there's another growth opportunity for him and for us".

Jordan De Goey was central to that midfield move in the first half. Was that as well as you've seen him play?
Quote:
"Yeah. Melbourne have a midfield full of Oliver, Viney, clearly Petracca when he's in and about and Jordy is a big-bodied midfielder, so he's got that burst and real power. I thought he, Tay Adams, Treloar, clearly Pendles and Steele were as sharp in and around the contest and we needed to be. We've been pretty clean getting ball out of scrummage and you need to be against Melbourne when they put the heat on. Second quarter, they stuck us a few times and we weren't able to get out. But, for the most part, our clean hands to be able to win enough of those contests and then get out on the outside was encouraging and Jordy drove that in the first 5 to 10 minutes where he really set himself and stamped himself on the game. We look forward to him doing that more as a midfielder as he understands his capabilities and the requirements to play in that position. It's a pretty exciting start".

How do you see the bye now after building up momentum. Is it a good or bad time?
Quote:
"It just is. We will have a pretty quick turnaround and review the game tomorrow and then the players will get their time. We will come back refreshed hopefully body, mind and spirit and be able to put in another good preparation for Carlton on the other side of the bye. We're enjoying our work. We're enjoying our preparation. We're enjoying the environment at the place, but we won't forget the building blocks of what we need to put in place, so we'll take a breather and comeback and do that".

What do you think have been the significant factors of the turnaround after a few down years?
Quote:
"Not doing a lot of reflection too far back. Pre-season was strong. We had really clear idea of how we want to play the game and we're in the process of exploring what that looks like against the opposition of the week and then clearly the opposition in the competition as we get on. I think our players are invested, they're working hard, they're playing for each other and there's a lot of care. Guys know exactly what their strengths are and how they can bring them to the table, so that's been really positive. We've taken the first couple of steps and we will continue to explore our football and see what we can turn it into, but you can only do it week-by week".

So those things weren't apparent in previous years? They seem like basic things, they weren't there in previous years?
Quote:
"They were apparent. Probably doing it more often. It's quite marginal, the game. At the elite level you only have to be off 1 or 2% either way, and it's a fairly significant difference. As I've said, we're not going to revise too much as we can't do too much of what's gone and we will look after what's coming".

You felt close though? Many people were writing you off in the last few years, but you felt you were that close to turning it around?
Quote:
"Yep".

How did you go injury wise?
Quote:
"Wells had a foot strain, so we had to get a look at him late in the second quarter. He came back and played the game out, so that's a positive. He's got a bit of time to have a look at that, but apart from that I think we're pretty good".

Can I ask you about the defence, particularly about Scharenberg and Philips. Are you satisfied with Scharenberg has been able to do over three months or so?
Quote:
"Yeah, and since earning his opportunity. His pre-season was slowish, but he was building. We got to expect that as he's missed a lot of footy. I think he and Dunn have been able to hold the fort really well against all comers and it was a real test with McDonald kicking six, so he was able to hit the scoreboard and was able to win one-on-ones at times. I think they just seemed to be a pair that work well together, and then with Howe sort of around the mark. I think our back six are working well together. They're getting good support by pressure on the ball from the forwards and the mids and when the ball looks like it's moving through the midfield, I think we're getting back to support our back six pretty well. Today, they were caught in a lot of even number contests and they won the majority of them. They lost some and Melbourne looked dangerous in those situations. But, for the most part they stood up and Schaz has been one of the guys that has been standing up in that role".

Are you optimistic Moore, Elliott and Reid will all be available after the bye, and if so or not, will they have to work their way back through the VFL?
Quote:
"I'm always optimistic. It's more about how much footy they've missed. Possession is nine-tenths, so we've got some players that are playing their roles really well. Flynn [Appleby] was stiff to miss, and he's a young fella who's come in and just understands what is expected of him and has been getting it done, so he was really stiff to miss. There's a 23rd that is ready to go when called upon. Our VFL are putting some pretty good footy together and I think our players aren't silly. They want to be a part of something that is building and developing, and they are a part of it, there's no doubt. But, they want to get their opportunity in the senior side and the guys will continue to work for that because their opportunity will come and they want to be ready for it".

Just to clarify, will those three guys be playing footy the week after the bye?
Quote:
"They will definitely play footy after the bye, but I can't be specific as there's still a couple of weeks away and there's still a few hurdles to jump between now and then".

Broadly speaking, is there any re-assessment on what you can achieve this year?
Quote:
"No, not right now mate".

Was it a privilege to be involved in the MND fight stuff?
Quote:
"Yeah, and it was personified through Murray for us and Tracy, his wife and Nick and Mitch, his boys. That's the very harsh reality of what the day was about and for us it came through a fella who loves the club and has supported the club for the entirety of his life for the last 47 years. He's been making scrapbooks and he gets the chance to put himself in his own scrapbook now. We were touched by his plight, by his challenge and by the family unit who are going through it together and in some small way if we've given him an experience that he can take with him, which I'm pretty sure we have, that for us really was the pointy end of what the day was all about to acknowledge sufferers and the family unit who has to endure it as well".

Will you have to shave?
Quote:
"No, you have the choice. With that hit out that Brodie gave, he must have felt sorry for the coaches because it was clearly too far out into space. Maybe he's not enjoying some of the mo's or beards he's seeing. The coaches have a choice"[*humorous response*]

http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/video/2018-06-11/raw-buckley-reviews-big-win

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:11 pm

Thanks Jezza, cheers
Collingwood Crackerjack 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:50 am

Watching the replay, what a great game Thomas had, he is a real ice man, cool as a cucumber when he gets a chance inside 50

© Collingwood Crackerjack, 1992
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:27 pm

^ good catch, CC. I thought Josh Thomas was a wannabe fringe-dweller. It turns out he’s a hard-running midfielder who doubles as a classy finishing small forward. 19 goals from 12 games is outstanding. It’s one of the best stories of the year so far.
the fuzz 

Fuzz loves Bruzz

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:27 am

Jezza wrote:
the fuzz wrote:
What a win!!

I'm very sorry to hear about your father, but it sounds like he enjoyed a fantastic victory on Monday.

Like P4S said, I'm hoping he can witness many more victories in the near future.

Thanks Jezza!
Much appreciated.. as are all your posts
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:44 pm

the fuzz wrote:
What a win!!

Tough stuff. Good luck to your dad & the rest of your family. What a great win, I wasn't expecting that.

Last edited by watt price tully on Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:46 pm

Collingwood Crackerjack wrote:
Watching the replay, what a great game Thomas had, he is a real ice man, cool as a cucumber when he gets a chance inside 50

Yes indeed. Oliver stood on his foream when he was on the ground at one point in the forwad pocket at the Ponsford stand end. I couldn't tell whether it was deliberate ot not.

He played a very good game.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:51 pm

That Grundy stood up to and in the end got on top of Gawn shows how much Grundy has developed.

In the first half Gawn had more HO to advantage. After half time I thought Gawn looked tired and a bit weary. As time / the match progressed, Grundy got on top of Gawn.

Well done Shintaro.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12
Page 12 of 12   

Jump to: