Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post Match. Weagles end Pies' run - All comments please.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:30 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

MightyMagpie wrote:
Cam wrote:
Nobody Donny. Absolutely nobody.

Very Happy

I think this is the hold my beer guy!

Guilty your Honour.

But half in jest [i hope] cmon let's not all bring our work attitudes to this forum lol

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:32 am

E wrote:
Mugwump wrote:
E wrote:
Donny wrote:
E wrote:
Donny wrote:
MightyMagpie wrote:
I don’t think it is all doom and gloom.

Outside of DtM's usual pessimism, I don't see any 'gloom & doom' posts.

With their ins ad our outs, the result was fairly obvious.

Who, at the start of the year, and certainly after the second game, even imagined we'd be ahead of Sydney, Geelong, Hawthorn, GWS, PA, Melbourne, Bulldogs and even Essendon and Freo, after 17 rounds ?

we aren't ahead of Sydney and PA and if you think we are, you are deluding yourself......

No. I checked the Ladder.

maybe you should check more carefully next time....

I just checked it too. We are third. Sydney and Port are fourth and fifth respectively. On percentage, I grant you, but if the season ended today we would gain an advantage over both of them because we are ahead of them.

A pretty big if Mugsy. And actually, we know one thing that is 100% true. The season isnt ending today. I would say that Sydney, Collingwood and Port are as close to all tied up as three teams could be. But Sydney and Port have done better than 1-5 against teams in the top 10! Come to think of it, so have GWS and Melbourne (although not 100% sure about Melbourne).

I have us as the 7th best team in the comp at the minute.

I don’t disagree with your last point. But there’s something else that is 100% true. We are ahead of the other two teams on the ladder. That, I think was what you were denying above. You usually make a lot of sense, but not sure what you’re on about there.

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:39 am

Why is this still 'sticky' ?

This should be a distant memory as we move on to, next week and the week after, in our march to September... **** this shit off!!

E 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:14 am

Mugwump wrote:
E wrote:
Mugwump wrote:
E wrote:
Donny wrote:
E wrote:
Donny wrote:
MightyMagpie wrote:

Who, at the start of the year, and certainly after the second game, even imagined we'd be ahead of Sydney, Geelong, Hawthorn, GWS, PA, Melbourne, Bulldogs and even Essendon and Freo, after 17 rounds ?

we aren't ahead of Sydney and PA and if you think we are, you are deluding yourself......

I just checked it too. We are third. Sydney and Port are fourth and fifth respectively. On percentage, I grant you, but if the season ended today we would gain an advantage over both of them because we are ahead of them.

A pretty big if Mugsy. And actually, we know one thing that is 100% true. The season isnt ending today. I would say that Sydney, Collingwood and Port are as close to all tied up as three teams could be. But Sydney and Port have done better than 1-5 against teams in the top 10! Come to think of it, so have GWS and Melbourne (although not 100% sure about Melbourne).

I don’t disagree with your last point. But there’s something else that is 100% true. We are ahead of the other two teams on the ladder. That, I think was what you were denying above. You usually make a lot of sense, but not sure what you’re on about there.

No, i never said that. the comment was "who would have thought we'd be ahead of a long list of teams at round 17". My point was that suggesting we are ahead of teams due to percentage at round 17 is fools gold.

I think we are actually behind Port because we have it all ahead of us to prove that we belong up there.

On the other hand, if our percentage was 2-3% lower and we were in 5th place right now instead of third, I bet some people would feel differently about our team than they do right now that we are third. That is extraordinary foolish as well.

5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:06 pm

E wrote:
Mugwump wrote:
E wrote:
Mugwump wrote:
E wrote:
Donny wrote:
E wrote:
Donny wrote:
MightyMagpie wrote:

No, i never said that. the comment was "who would have thought we'd be ahead of a long list of teams at round 17". My point was that suggesting we are ahead of teams due to percentage at round 17 is fools gold.

I think we are actually behind Port because we have it all ahead of us to prove that we belong up there.

On the other hand, if our percentage was 2-3% lower and we were in 5th place right now instead of third, I bet some people would feel differently about our team than they do right now that we are third. That is extraordinary foolish as well.

I understand the point that you are making E.

Percentages are interesting though as they indicate how we have fared against those teams that are in the 8 and those that are not.

We have played 5 matches against teams in the 8, winning 1 and losing 4. The average scores are 78 for and 93 against, being 84%.

We have played 11 matches against teams outside the 8, winning 10 and losing 1. The average scores are 91 for and 66 against, being 140%.

Putting aside playing personnel and coaching arguments, those figures paint quite a stark picture of where we are at. We can beat up the minnows but the tables are turned once we meet the better teams. The difference between us and the better teams is not as great as it was in previous years but there is still a sizeable gap. We may be sitting near the top of the table but that is only as a result of the fixture to date.

In the remaining weeks before finals we play three teams in the 8, being Richmond, Sydney and Port. We play two teams outside the 8, being Fremantle and Brisbane.

Over the entire season we play one current top 8 side twice (Richmond). We play four sides outside the top 8 twice, being, Carlton, Essendon Fremantle and Brisbane. The last two are not pushovers at home.

I haven't assessed the fixtures of the other teams but I don't see our fixture as being hard or easy. It seems quite fair. Where we finish should be a reasonable reflection of our standing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12
Page 12 of 12   

Jump to: