Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Brayden Sier - what do /can we we make of his selection?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:04 am
Post subject: Re: Brayden Sier - what do /can we we make of his selection?Reply with quote

MagpieBat wrote:
cfc2009-10-11-12 wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
I'm remain a bit non-plussed about this pick.

Not sure what to make of it. I'd like to ask the regular watchers of the VFL & others what they think about this selection.

Of course I will refrain from the bold statement "time will tell"

I did see Sier at VFL level about half a dozen times and kept a keen eye on him. In all games Sier lined up on the ball however made little impact. The glimpses I did see of him with ball in hand were good. He's got very clean hands in congestion and once he has the ball his first instinct was to either give a quick handball or free his arms from any tacklers and then dish off. This was a very common trait that I noticed and because of his size he's able to take a tackle and still release. Unfortunately I reckon his fitness level held him back on what type of impact he was having on games.
The club were clearly developing him as an inside midfielder as he was in most centre bounces that I saw. He rarely kicked so I can't comment on how his kicking is. Most of his work was done in tight.
Definitely worth persisting with Sier especially after a couple more pre-seasons under the belt. I believe he doesn't turn 19 until December. Once he works on his tank we'll have a better idea whether he'll make it. Looking forward to seeing him play again next year with the likes of Daicos, Brown etc.

I was just about to post on this, hut you have summed up my own thoughts and observations perfectly. Couldn't have said it better myself.

I will add that his kicking is alright without being anything special, although he can give it a roost when he connects. The goal he kicked against Williamstown from 65-70 out on the run (which landed about 10-15m short and skidded through) sticks in my mind. And he can lay a mean tackle too.

Got pretty banged up this year, though. Missed 6 weeks either side of the mid-season bye with a broken hand, then missed a couple more with concussion, then sat out the remainder of the year with a back injury sustained in the gym (for which he has apparently had surgery).

Park this discussion for another 2 to 3 years, in my view. Is very much the project player...

Was thinking the same thing. Reflecting over the weekend on the Doggies and Mitch Wallis is someone who plays a similar role and he took time, drafted in 2010 but it wasn't till 2015 that he really started to impact games significantly and he was a highly regarded draftee. Happy to allow Sier time to blossom.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:21 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers all. I didn't realize the poor guy had so many injuries & surgery on his back! I liked the glimpses I saw of him early in the year but they were not enough to suggest he could play.

I was aware he was drafted as a project player & liked the way he could move at times but didn't see enough of the VFL to make an informed comment.

Interesting selection nonetheless.

Lazza 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:33 am

watt price tully wrote:
Cheers all. I didn't realize the poor guy had so many injuries & surgery on his back! I liked the glimpses I saw of him early in the year but they were not enough to suggest he could play.

I was aware he was drafted as a project player & liked the way he could move at times but didn't see enough of the VFL to make an informed comment.

Interesting selection nonetheless.

Like your fairly typical Nick's poster, you also need to have patience dude. Time will tell whether you learn this trait or not.... Twisted Evil Razz

cfc2009-10-11-12 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:42 am
Post subject: Re: Brayden Sier - what do /can we we make of his selection?Reply with quote

jackcass wrote:
MagpieBat wrote:
cfc2009-10-11-12 wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
I'm remain a bit non-plussed about this pick.

Not sure what to make of it. I'd like to ask the regular watchers of the VFL & others what they think about this selection.

Of course I will refrain from the bold statement "time will tell"

I did see Sier at VFL level about half a dozen times and kept a keen eye on him. In all games Sier lined up on the ball however made little impact. The glimpses I did see of him with ball in hand were good. He's got very clean hands in congestion and once he has the ball his first instinct was to either give a quick handball or free his arms from any tacklers and then dish off. This was a very common trait that I noticed and because of his size he's able to take a tackle and still release. Unfortunately I reckon his fitness level held him back on what type of impact he was having on games.
The club were clearly developing him as an inside midfielder as he was in most centre bounces that I saw. He rarely kicked so I can't comment on how his kicking is. Most of his work was done in tight.
Definitely worth persisting with Sier especially after a couple more pre-seasons under the belt. I believe he doesn't turn 19 until December. Once he works on his tank we'll have a better idea whether he'll make it. Looking forward to seeing him play again next year with the likes of Daicos, Brown etc.

I was just about to post on this, hut you have summed up my own thoughts and observations perfectly. Couldn't have said it better myself.

I will add that his kicking is alright without being anything special, although he can give it a roost when he connects. The goal he kicked against Williamstown from 65-70 out on the run (which landed about 10-15m short and skidded through) sticks in my mind. And he can lay a mean tackle too.

Got pretty banged up this year, though. Missed 6 weeks either side of the mid-season bye with a broken hand, then missed a couple more with concussion, then sat out the remainder of the year with a back injury sustained in the gym (for which he has apparently had surgery).

Park this discussion for another 2 to 3 years, in my view. Is very much the project player...

Was thinking the same thing. Reflecting over the weekend on the Doggies and Mitch Wallis is someone who plays a similar role and he took time, drafted in 2010 but it wasn't till 2015 that he really started to impact games significantly and he was a highly regarded draftee. Happy to allow Sier time to blossom.

We are starting to see this at AFL Level! Club have developed him nicely.

E 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:13 am

burnsy17 wrote:
No idea why we picked him. He reminds me of a shite version of Wills.

At pick 32 however, it was probably worth the risk...

Isn't it funny that three years on, Wills looks like a shite version of Sier. It seems like that in 2016 and 2017, while we were all crapping on the club for all sorts of reasons, they were quietly developing their talent. Sier is the perfect example of why fans have very little idea about what goes on inside a club.

We should all sit back and enjoy it when we get nice surprises like what Sier has become. I thought his ceiling would be contributing a role in the AFL team. His ceiling appears to be as an elite player. At least, as i sit here right now, i'm not prepared to say he could never become elite.

Wouldn't it be timely if McLarty became the next surprise. I noticed we have moved him back to CHB these past few weeks now that the second ruckman role appears to be securely Cox's. Wouldnt it be amazing if he could play a role back there for us in August/September.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:37 am

E wrote:

Wouldn't it be timely if McLarty became the next surprise. I noticed we have moved him back to CHB these past few weeks now that the second ruckman role appears to be securely Cox's. Wouldnt it be amazing if he could play a role back there for us in August/September.

I'm pretty sure he's been playing up forward in the VFL.
E 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:26 am

RudeBoy wrote:
E wrote:

I thought they switched it up last couple of weeks (coinciding with Scharenberg and Moore going down) and had him in defense? certainly he's been named down back the last couple of weeks.

Pa Marmo 

Side by Side

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:40 am

E wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
E wrote:

I thought they switched it up last couple of weeks (coinciding with Scharenberg and Moore going down) and had him in defense? certainly he's been named down back the last couple of weeks.

He played CHF on the weekend.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2   

Jump to: