Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The Collingwood Rant is now up!

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 25, 26, 27  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sly Leo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:18 pm
Post subject: The new ep of The Collingwood Rant (Coll vs Rich) is up!Reply with quote

On The Collingwood Rant this week:

-- we dissect the loss to Richmond
-- we rant about the treatment of Mason Cox
-- we introduce the Flog of the Week
-- we name Anthony Hudson and Garry Lyon for their constant commentary bias
-- a special long rant about the injuries at Collingwood
-- we preview next week's game against Sydney Swans.

Check us out on YouTube here.
DT 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:17 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Entertaining viewing as always. Pies will bash up the Swans
Sly Leo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:54 am
Post subject: The Collingwood Rant is now up on YouTube!Reply with quote

-- we look at the heartbreaking loss to the Sydney Swans
-- a big week in the media for Collingwood
-- previewing the upcoming clash against Brisbane

Just click here!
Sly Leo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:17 pm
Post subject: The new episode of The Collingwood (vs Bris.) Rant is here!Reply with quote

-- we dissect Collingwood's victory over Brisbane
-- Media Mephitic!
-- Collingwood in review ~ we look at goal-kickers, our yearly injury tally, some of Collingwood's more unheralded players, and more!
-- we preview the game against Port Adelaide

Check it out right here!
Sly Leo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:07 am
Post subject: The Collingwood Rant (Coll. vs Power) is now up!Reply with quote

-- we look at our outage of the Power
-- Collingwood has a busy week in the media, from our Under 22 nominees to whether we've cloned Richmond to who we'v beaten and much, much more!
-- we preview our final H&A game against the Dockers
-- we look briefly ahead to the finals!

Find us on YouTube here!
melliot 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:47 pm

Nice show boys.

Have to take issue at Sly's persistent preference for 5th over any top 4 position.

Option 1. Finish top 4. Upside = win = week off and into a Prelim. Downside = lose = into an elimination semi final (and play at home).

Option 2. finish 5th. Upside = win = into an elimination semi final (and play away). Downside = lose = All over, red rover.

The upside of 5th is the same (or possibly worse depending if you have to travel interstate) as the down side of a top 4 finish.

How can you with any logic think it's better to finish 5th rather than 3rd or 4th? You are purely basing this on a trip to Perth or against the Tiges?

Either is fine by me, rather than 5th.

You get a shot at skipping a week, resting up and being straight into a Prelim. And if you miss your shot, your still better off than a winning 5th positioned side, because you get the home game!

I see top 4 this year as a free swing for us.

Imagine knocking off the Tiges, and sending them to a Prelim in Perth. The Tiges have not traveled interstate well this year. It could absolutely open up the flag race for us, with one game.

This is nearly my preference. As I see it as our best chance for the flag. And that is all that matters.

More likely to catch the Tiges in hubris on the first week of finals at the G, rather than in a GF, when they've seen their opposition already win some finals and ready for ya.

Wouldn't you like that opportunity?

At worst, we lose (which is kinda expected) and play someone below us at the G the next week.
Sly Leo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:09 am

Thanks, melliott.

You could be right.

If Eagles were to lose, and we were to win and jump to 2nd, I'd take that over 5th.

But playing the reigning premiers, or Eagles over in Perth, with a young squad which might also have players returning from long lay-offs, I'm a bit worried about getting smashed up physically and psychologically, and becoming fodder for the following week.

So far, we've fallen short twice to the Tigers in similar fashion. I was hoping that going into the finals, we'd get Sack, Treloar, and Elliott back (and that Howe wouldn't have gone down) -- that's an improvement over our last side to play them (and add de Goey, who missed last time). Unfortunately, it hasn't worked out that way.

I'd really like to avoid the Eagles, given the height of their forward line and our loss of height in defense. Crisp, Maynard, and Langdon are all majestically punching way above their weight, and Magden looks okay, but you would've really loved the likes of Dunne, Schaz, and Sack to man up Kennedy and Darling, etc.

I'm confident against everybody from 5th-10th and think we would win comfortably, and it gives us greater scope to bring players back. Then, hopefully, you develop some momentum to carry you through the rest of the finals campaign, as the Doggies did in 2016, and you face one of the preliminary finalists after they've had a one-week lay-off, which might work against them in terms of them becoming rusty (they would've only played the QF in a four-week period).

Obviously, I'm basing all this on a series of 'what ifs'. I'd love to play the Tiges and knock them off in the QF, as we did with Port in 2002 when nobody expected us to win, but am just diffident that our injuries and our injury profile overall is going to undermine us, and leave us vulnerable.
skaman Taurus

One step beyond.......

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:41 am

Great program lads!
melliot 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:41 am

Sly wrote:
Thanks, melliott.

You could be right.

If Eagles were to lose, and we were to win and jump to 2nd, I'd take that over 5th.

But playing the reigning premiers, or Eagles over in Perth, with a young squad which might also have players returning from long lay-offs, I'm a bit worried about getting smashed up physically and psychologically, and becoming fodder for the following week.

So far, we've fallen short twice to the Tigers in similar fashion. I was hoping that going into the finals, we'd get Sack, Treloar, and Elliott back (and that Howe wouldn't have gone down) -- that's an improvement over our last side to play them (and add de Goey, who missed last time). Unfortunately, it hasn't worked out that way.

I'd really like to avoid the Eagles, given the height of their forward line and our loss of height in defense. Crisp, Maynard, and Langdon are all majestically punching way above their weight, and Magden looks okay, but you would've really loved the likes of Dunne, Schaz, and Sack to man up Kennedy and Darling, etc.

I'm confident against everybody from 5th-10th and think we would win comfortably, and it gives us greater scope to bring players back. Then, hopefully, you develop some momentum to carry you through the rest of the finals campaign, as the Doggies did in 2016, and you face one of the preliminary finalists after they've had a one-week lay-off, which might work against them in terms of them becoming rusty (they would've only played the QF in a four-week period).

Obviously, I'm basing all this on a series of 'what ifs'. I'd love to play the Tiges and knock them off in the QF, as we did with Port in 2002 when nobody expected us to win, but am just diffident that our injuries and our injury profile overall is going to undermine us, and leave us vulnerable.

We'll agree to disagree.

Our backline "is, what it is". It's gunna have to step up and meet the challenge or we're cooked regardless.

And the Tiges only have the one tall forward.

2002 is a good example. You can have a good day and they could have a bad one, and it goes your way. The reward is significant. the downside is ya lick ya wounds and come back the next week.

You criticize Mayne for playing conservatively, not taking on the attacking kick. Not having a go at a risk. Just dishing off the sideways handball. I think you've become the Chris Mayne of supporters! Smile
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:25 pm

We'll smash the Eagles wherever/if we have to play them. We are headed to the Grand Final folks. Get there and we will win it!
Sly Leo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:17 pm
Post subject: The Collingwood Rant (Coll vs. Freo) is now up!Reply with quote

Here's is this week's Collingwood Rant as we are, belatedly, finals' bound!

This week:

– we review the scrappy win over the Fremantle Dorkers
– Collingwood in the media, with a look at our AA nominees, Grundy vs Gawn, our scoring in wins and losses, and MORE!
– a preview of our match against the Eagles, and the selection quandaries we face.

All that on The Collingwood Rant, and more!

Don't believe the facts until you've seen the rants.

Check us out on YouTube here!
Sly Leo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:25 pm

melliot wrote:
Sly wrote:
Thanks, melliott.

You could be right.

We'll agree to disagree.

Our backline "is, what it is". It's gunna have to step up and meet the challenge or we're cooked regardless.

And the Tiges only have the one tall forward.

2002 is a good example. You can have a good day and they could have a bad one, and it goes your way. The reward is significant. the downside is ya lick ya wounds and come back the next week.

You criticize Mayne for playing conservatively, not taking on the attacking kick. Not having a go at a risk. Just dishing off the sideways handball. I think you've become the Chris Mayne of supporters! Smile

I hope not. I could never sustain the hairstyle.

I'm happy with where we've finished – none of this speculation about 5th was a challenge to lose/tank games to get that spot.

But I'm a big believer in momentum.

Compare 2007 and 2009.

In 2007, we trounced Sydney in the first final, beat the Eagles over there, and then just fell short to Geelong in the PF.

In 2009 we lost to the Saints, had a brilliant comeback against Adelaide, then got smashed by Geelong.

In 2007, it felt like we just kept building, kept building, and that almost carried us over the line. In 2009, it was like we could never find our mojo (although selections in the last month of the H&A seriously hurt).

If you're a polished, ruthless side like Hawthorn were during their heyday, you have the capacity to reset and start over.

If you're a younger side, I think you'd want that momentum continually building, as the Bulldogs experienced in 2016.

Of course, having said all this, I fully expect to smash Eagles in two weeks.
melliot 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:49 pm

^ yep. Agree with most of that.

We didn't play well against Freo, but winning is a habit too. So good just to win. First close game we've won for the year. Mind you ,we've only had two close ones that I recall. Swans and this one.

Happy with third place. Would have taken that at the start of the year (or after round 2) and not looked back at any time!

I'm not overly confident for the finals.
1). We haven't won many against the teams in the 8 (only Dees). However, we have competed well against all teams though. none have really blown us off the park. So something to feel good about, I guess.

2) I think our back line will get exposed. We'll have to clearly win the midfield in each game to protect them. Not sure we can do that for for 4 quarters for each 3 games.

But we're in it. And have an opportunity and the weapons to damage other teams . We to run deep with our weapons.

So I'm relaxed about this finals series. My expectations aren't high at all. But do know that the possibilities are there for us to click and win a sneaky flag. The other sides (including Richmond) aren't significantly better than us.

We're due to win a sneaky one.

Look forward to the next show.
Sly Leo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:53 pm
Post subject: The QF Collingwood Rant is now up!Reply with quote

The Qualifying Final Collingwood Rant is now up!

We look at:
-- selections for the Qualifying Final
-- the loss to West Coast
-- one-side umpiring
-- a Media Mephitic bash of Mark Robinson
-- a match preview of our upcoming match against GWS.

All with our trademark wit!

Don't believe the facts until you've seen The Rant!

Check us out on YouTube here!
Sly Leo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:21 pm
Post subject: On The Preliminary Final Collingwood Rant ...Reply with quote

-- a look at our win over the Tigers in the PF
-- a look at an ungracious Richmond supporter in defeat
-- a thank you
-- a new segment: The Rip ~ defending the much-maligned at Collingwood
-- a preview of the upcoming Grand Final this week!

Only on The Rant!

Check us out on YouTube here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 25, 26, 27  Next
Page 6 of 27   

Jump to: