Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

#17,#11 Dayne Beams

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Player Forums

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 101, 102, 103 ... 186, 187, 188  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:59 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm hearing that we've already done the paperwork with Beams and he is set to return to the Pies.

If we somehow manage to land Lynch and Beams, we'll win the next 3 flags!
3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:02 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
I'm hearing that we've already done the paperwork with Beams and he is set to return to the Pies.

Actually for Fasolo we are getting Berry, McCluggage and McStay.

www.facebook/the hybernators
Dark Beanie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:08 pm

3rd degree wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:

Actually for Fasolo we are getting Berry, McCluggage and McStay.

Now if there was a McFly in the package that would be fun... Very Happy

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:46 pm

mattdally wrote:
Beams (if he returns) is still a huge upgrade on at least 50% of our current list. That cannot be argued.

Yeah, nah. It can be.
Rene Pogel 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:05 pm

No thanks.
Nick - Pie Man 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:22 am

[quote="mattdally"]Beams instantly makes us a better team.

Those on here who are bitter about him leaving that's fine, but don't deny for a second that he isn't an upgrade on the following players who have played senior footy this season on our list:
- Broomhead
- Fasolo agreed
- Brown
- Daicos
- Varcoe $£$%^%%$ 2011, this c*****nt cost us the grand final
- Greenwood
- Blair nah premiership hero
- Appleby
- Madgen
- Murray
- Wells
- Mayne

Quote:
If he is serious about coming back - we should be too. Go Pies

Agreed 100% come back Beamsey, you're a premiership player, come home
Albert Parker 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:12 am

^and we'd be paying each of those players about half what Beams would command at another club. Not money well spent in terms of our list requirements
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:19 am

I was pissed when Beams left despite the club wanting to move his whole family to Melbourne and give his Dad the best of care. IF he wanted to come back, without question it would be yes. The reality is he has a year to go on his contract and we are in no position to trade for him. In saying that the only way it could happen would be IF Moore went to Swans we could do a 3 way deal with Brisbane. Throw in he won't play for peanuts. My head says he won't be playing at Collingwood.
MagpiesTheGreat 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:49 am

The rumour says: his wife will also play for AFLW Magpies next year together with him...
BBHS Cancer

bbhs

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:03 pm

I think the breakup was too sour to have him back. Plus what sort of guy is he.. now he wants to bail on Brisbane cause it no longer suits him. What a dick.

Last edited by BBHS on Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
schuey07 Aries

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:28 pm

BBHS wrote:
I think the breakup was to sour to have him back. Plus what sort of guy is he.. now wants to bail on Brisbane cause it no longer suits him. What a dick.

This is 100% correct no loyalty.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:13 pm

BBHS wrote:
I think the breakup was too sour to have him back. Plus what sort of guy is he.. now he wants to bail on Brisbane cause it no longer suits him. What a dick.

FFS peoples. He only left us to be closer to his sick father, who has since died. That's the only reason he left us, and I admire him for putting his Dad's welfare first before football.

If there was a way to get him back to Collingwood (which I doubt), we should welcome him with open arms.
MightyMagpie 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:20 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
BBHS wrote:

FFS peoples. He only left us to be closer to his sick father, who has since died. That's the only reason he left us, and I admire him for putting his Dad's welfare first before football.

If there was a way to get him back to Collingwood (which I doubt), we should welcome him with open arms.

^^^ Pretty much agree. If anyone harbours any animosity just think about the trade haul we got.

MJ23 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:05 pm

qldmagpie67 wrote:
People don't worry about P4S comments it's a long running hatred of Beams based purely on his love of Sidey
You see when Sidey was drafted P4S hitched his wagon to him.
When Beams debuted nearly immediately in his first season Sidey was playing limited minutes in the VFL
Beams then not only held his spot but was putting in eye catching performances in a star studded midfield including Swan Pendles Thomas Ball and was noted very early on by nearly every media commentator as a star on the rise.
Mean time Sidey had to wait and wait for his debut to come and when it did it was solid but it was a Beams drawing all the accolations and praise
Then Beams wins a rising star nomination (well deserved) followed by Brad Dick & Jaxson Barnham. Sidey didn't receive any nominations that's when P4S started his monologue about it's a nothing award and Beams was a talentless hack basically.
Beams goes on to win the best first uear player in a canter and P4S obviously doesn't acknowledge that award either
It's fair to say Beams did struggle in the finals series of 2010/11 playing injured will do that too you but each week no matter how busted he was he was selected
2012 the club changed coaches and makes a finals again. Beams sets new records on the AFL in many stats in a midfield containing Pendles Swan Sidey on his way to winning a Copeland with 205 votes 35 ahead of Pendles 60 clear of Swan and 70 odd votes ahead of Sidey. In a year the team made prelims he was a standout. To make finals you need your stars to be at there w solute best every week. Turning up every few weeks is what separates the truly elite players like Beams from the pack.
His 8th placed finished in the Brownlow second place finish in the AFL coaches voting (he lost this as Swan Pendles Cloke all polled very well) winner of the herald sun player of the year winner of the media writers best player award and All Australian honours.
It's true to say injury has hampered his output
It's easy to concede Sidey has been far more durable and this season has finally shown the consistency in his week to week performances
Sidey finally won a copeland in 2017 with 140 votes (which would have placed him 4th the year Beams won it) but still hasn't had a top 10 finish in the Brownlow or any other award given by industry experts
That's not a knock on Sidey you see he's spent his whole career playing in sides with truly elite players.
I'm happy to say Sidey has performed much more consistent in finals than Beams but if you don't have players like Beams turning up each week and winning games for the side players like Sidey don't get to even play finals and play well.
Beams will likely win a 3rd or is it 4th club B&F this season & finish as his teams highest vote getter in the coaches votes (and ahead of Sidey at this point in time) and more than likley in the Brownlow again (after all he does have 3 top 10 finishes already)
The statement P4S made about Langdon lifting his game is fair he's past few weeks have been ok but when your coming from such a low level going backwards is near impossible so realistically the only way is up.
I'm sure Dayne won't loss any sleep knowing P4S doesn't rate him he can sleep comfortably each night with his $900k contract safely tucked away for another 2 years. Langdon will be having sleepless nights wondering if a contract offer will be forth coming from the club or whether his career is over
Time will tell but I'm happy to bet no club will be throwing $900k a sesson at him over long term. If he can manage a 1 year deal on more than the league minimum he should grab it with both hands

Beams is an elite midfielder with strengths and weaknesses. That said his weaknesses do not suit our current mid group and we have his strengths covered so the coin he would be on makes it not even worth discussing if he would or could fit into our team.

To clear up a bit of inconstancy though in the above narrative.

Yes Beams and Sidey were drafted the same year and yes beams debuted before Steel. What you didnt say was Steele was a bottom age draft prospect and is nearly a year younger than Beams. Beams did play senior footy against men while Steel was in the TAC cup with a slighter body.

Steel did not play "Limited minutes" in the VFL - I watched nearly every VFL game he played in that year and he played plenty of time. He was too quick to dispose of the ball and often backwards of play. After a few games he started to take the game on and was elevated and took off.

2012 For Beams was outstanding. He averaged 30 disp a game. Sidey averaged 26 and didn't get the mid minutes Beams did often playing forward. No issue though Beams was outstanding.

2010/ 2011 finals Sidey was outstanding. First I heard of Beams being injured 2010. 2011 it was well documented.

I dont buy into Brownlow votes or industry awards but yes Beams has done well even though he has not had the same contribution to his teams over a career that Steele has. Thats the argument and that is where the opinions differ.

Cannot deny Beams his status as a footballer and hindsight is an easy lens with which to view things. I would have loved him to stay and we may not have had to pursue a Treloar but in the end I cant deny being thankfull that we lost Beams and not Sidey.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:28 pm

I think both Beams and Sidey are great players. I'm not sure why some people are obsessed about comparing them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Player Forums All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 101, 102, 103 ... 186, 187, 188  Next
Page 102 of 188   

Jump to: