Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

What pisses you off?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 681, 682, 683 ... 717, 718, 719  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:27 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

i did see that coming and fair enough.

i do agree with you David that judges should not reduce sentences out of sympathy for past history, but i also think that judges should take past history into account, and hand out harsher punishment for previous crimes/behaviour.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:12 am

I actually think you guys are mistaking Davids point. I didn't read it as having a go at fathers or men, he was saying that she and them would already be suffering because of their actions. Men killing their kids has been topical recently, so fair statement IMHO and I agree. Unless they are a borderline psychopath, they have to spend the rest of their lives with the knowledge that they killed their children and that has to be worse than gaol time.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:42 am

stui magpie wrote:
I actually think you guys are mistaking Davids point. I didn't read it as having a go at fathers or men, he was saying that she and them would already be suffering because of their actions. Men killing their kids has been topical recently, so fair statement IMHO and I agree. Unless they are a borderline psychopath, they have to spend the rest of their lives with the knowledge that they killed their children and that has to be worse than gaol time.

Agree, David’s point seems reasonable to me, apart from his daft idea of removing custodial sentences (a recipe, even if one accepted the premise of restorative justice,for making child killing far easier - restorative justice for whom, etc). But the basic point that (i) 34, or 25, or 18 years seems a little abstract given the crime ; and (ii) that it’s hard to see how the defendant’s background should interact with the sentence, because there is no obvious connection between it, culpability and the chance of rehab - seems valid. I was trying to make a similar point in my post.

The problem is that modern psychiatric theory is heavily invested in the idea that people can be morally conscious but not responsible for their actions. I think that this is a terrible fallacy arising from the weak nature of the theory in this area. Still, I can see why judges have to follow it as the guidelines are written.

Pi Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:42 pm

This is an outrage
https://www.watoday.com.au/world/europe/dutch-court-rules-pastafarians-cannot-wear-colanders-in-id-photos-20180820-p4zyhb.html

Then again pastafarians don't go about threatening to kill people.....you cant be taken seriously as a religion unless you do.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:10 pm

Mugwump wrote:
stui magpie wrote:

Agree, David’s point seems reasonable to me, apart from his daft idea of removing custodial sentences (a recipe, even if one accepted the premise of restorative justice,for making child killing far easier - restorative justice for whom, etc). But the basic point that (i) 34, or 25, or 18 years seems a little abstract given the crime ; and (ii) that it’s hard to see how the defendant’s background should interact with the sentence, because there is no obvious connection between it, culpability and the chance of rehab - seems valid. I was trying to make a similar point in my post.

I'm not in the "deterrence doesn't work" crowd generally, but I think this is one crime where you could reasonably argue that deterrence probably has a negligible impact on the incidence of crime. Anyone who deliberately kills their own child has already jumped into the abyss.

K 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:34 pm

"Jumped into the abyss"? Sounds like you're saying they are evil (or mad)...
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:05 pm

^ No, I mean that they have already reached a point of no return in their lives.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:24 pm

I think every parent has had moments when they could cheerfully strangle one of their children, usually in the terrible 2's or terrible teens, but to actually do it would be jumping into the abyss.
luvdids Sagittarius

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:56 pm

WTF is wrong with people?? 87 elephants killed for their tusks. New president in Botswana came to office, a month later the anti poaching rangers were disarmed so now the poachers can go for their life.
What a f***ing joke.

WARNING: DISTRESSING PICTURE IN LINK

https://www.9news.com.au/2018/09/04/08/02/elephants-poached-dead-botswana-wildlife-sanctuary

Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:51 pm

^

cause and effect. Incredibly dumb to disarm the rangers, might have well as painted bullseyes on the elephants.

For me, (change of topic) trying to moderate my mood without a job is, well, interesting.

You can choose what mood you'll be in, to a degree, but each action has consequences.

Pushing myself to get up and about is great, as long as I have stuff to do. Being energised turns bad when you have nothing to do and find yourself getting fidgety and snappy.

Dialing it back has different consequences. Chilling back means you can cruise through the day, but trying to get up to do some exercise or stuff is counter intuitive. It doesn't work well.

There's a middle ground here I have to find, I can't do yo yo without an external influence like a job.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:51 am

Oh I so get that! I hate working from home! It’s lonely now the kids don’t need a taxi! I used to be so self motivated! The onslaught of spring is helping, I’ve hit the gym every day for over a week, (I’ve been erratic!) I’ve just finished cleaning down stairs 10 min ago, eating better, down a couple of kg, , I finally did the end paperwork for the project we did with our super, tomorrow a little paperwork and filing, finish upstairs, visit my father in law, pack and hit the airport around 9pm! I cannot wait to hit WA with junior and my camera! 4 days of no work talk, sunshine, my best friend, and a million or so photos! $£$%^%%$ bliss! Oh and yeah there is that game to get too! Go my beautiful wonderful frustrating glorious Magpies!

I have no suggestions for you, except maybe some part time work? Looks like your holiday home project is working out great, but it’s not easy to settle into a different lifestyle when your used to getting up and going to work. People are like, oh your so lucky you get to work from home, and I’m like gawd I live in my pjs! I’m a people person, I need people. Hubby wanting a new fancy camera was probalby a life saver for me! I wish you well my friend. Change is never easy.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:35 pm

Dr switched my blood pressure medication around. Trying Amlo to go with the coversyl instead of Natralix.

Last time I tried this stuff was in a combined tablet, which worked on me like sedative. Taking it separately seems to be worse. I feel wonky in the head as well as tired and nauseous. Fkn brilliant.

I'll give it a few days to see if it's just an adjustment thing but if it stays this way I'm not doing it.

ronrat 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:42 pm

Bloody taxation. Been trying to get my tax done since July . After a bloody heap of emails and calls to an answering service the tax portal not work. So I go to a tax agent who promises one week turn aound. 3 weeks later i find out the tax has been paid out and i email the agent. said my account wouldn;t work (had it for 36 years) so they sent a registered letter with a cheque in it to my the post officei n my parents home.Have to present myself with photo Id. Trouble is the post office was closed 3 years ago and there are 14 post offices with that post code and I am in Thailand. Mum has a just had a shoulder reconstructed and Dad can't drive since a stroke. 6500 dollars sitting somewhere. All they had to do was email me. And my nearest bank branch is 400 kms from Mum.

Last edited by ronrat on Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:49 pm

Fair to say I haven't missed the humid weather of the last couple of days.

If I go for walk with a coat on to protect from the rain then it's fair to say the river of sweat underneath will be worse.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:43 pm

Try an umbrella or just walk around naked and get wet.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 681, 682, 683 ... 717, 718, 719  Next
Page 682 of 719   

Jump to: