Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

#17,#11 Dayne Beams

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Player Forums

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 152, 153, 154 ... 186, 187, 188  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike35 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:50 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello fellow pies fans, long time reader first time poster so apologies if I don’t get this right.

I was just reading the comments here and felt compelled to write something about the Beams trade because it seems a lot of people believe we paid overs.

For mine, getting Beams back was a massive win for the club and I have no issue with what we traded. Consider this:

1. Yes, we gave up “two first round picks”. But assuming we finish in the same place next year (more likely now with another AA mid), the net value of the picks traded was roughly 1,390 points - equivalent to about pick 10. Last time we had pick 10 we got Nathan Freeman and we all know how that turned out. The pick 10s since then were: Nakia Cockatooo, Harry McKay, Jack Bowes & Lachie O’Brien - hardly world beaters. Sure, sometimes a late first rounder gets you a Grundy, but more often it’s a bust (Broomhead, Kennedy). So in reality, we didn’t really give up that much.

2. We NEEDED another inside-outside player. Treloar breaks lines, Sidey a finisher, Pendles silky, but outside Tay we lack inside grunt. Both finals against West Coast were lost because they got on top in the centre clearances. Sier will be good but needs time. Beams’ versatility and goal kicking prowess will suit our game style perfectly. Add a fit Wells to that mix, and it will be the strongest midfield in the game.

3. We will still draft the same players. No seriously. Our draft strategy is to get Quaynor and Kelly at a discount and maybe Bosenavualagi. A bid will come for Q in the first round so we could not pick anyone before him anyway. And we were always going to be in deficit next year, so our 2019 first rounder would have been downgraded. So we still get the same top end talent in the draft, without having lost any of our players this year to rival clubs.

Beams will be 29 next season, but is still at the peak of his powers. There is no doubt he is one of the top 10 mids in the comp right now. Barring injury we should get at least 3 elite seasons from him. Most importantly, we add an elite senior player to our mix at a time we are contending for a Premiership. Perfect player, perfect trade, perfect time for mine. And given his front ended contract it should still allow us to go after a free agent next year.

Welcome back Beamsy .
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:28 pm

^^^
Welcome Mike.

I’m not quite the Beams trade fan that some are but it’s a good post.
You might as well get involved, it’s going to be a long off season 😀
K 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:40 pm

The simplification "Beams for pick 10", at the least, feels not totally crazy from either club's perspective.
3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:53 pm

dp.

www.facebook/the hybernators

Last edited by 3rd degree on Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:53 pm

Welcome back Beams, I still wont forget his smug exit, so he better get back to smashing it.

www.facebook/the hybernators
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:36 am

Have we taken over Beams Contract or does he get a new one? If we have taken over his contract then it's a win as his was front end loaded with the Bears.
Deja Vu 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:49 am

Who would you rather have though? Gibbs or Beams?

No contest

melliot 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:05 am

I agree we could fall off just as easy as the Crows. So no cazy camps for us. Need to continue the love. Smile

The competition is very tight. A matter of 2 games separating top 4 to missing the 8. If nothing changes in performance, we'll get a tougher fixture, which could see us miss the 8.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:20 am

Deja Vu wrote:

No contest

Yes - but Gibbs’ outside run wasn’t on offer, so they’ve done the best they could.
BBHS Cancer

bbhs

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:21 am

So full circle the assets involved in the two deals:

Pies End up with:
JDG
Crisp
Beams
Greenwood
Pick 41 & 44 - Isaac Quaynor*

Bears End up with:
Pick 18
Future First Pick 18 I'm tipping
Pick 56
2014 Pick 65 Josh Watts - Delisted
We slayed them in my opinion.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:35 am

melliot wrote:
I agree we could fall off just as easy as the Crows. So no cazy camps for us. Need to continue the love. Smile

The competition is very tight. A matter of 2 games separating top 4 to missing the 8. If nothing changes in performance, we'll get a tougher fixture, which could see us miss the 8.

Totally agree. We have had six different grand finalists in the last three years.
For anyone to think that Beams is the difference between a flag and not, is delusional. He is a good addition but he is nowhere near the difference between a premier and runner up. We will need a bit going for us but at least we seem to now know the road to travel to get there.
SwansWay 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:04 am

Pies2016 wrote:
melliot wrote:

Totally agree. We have had six different grand finalists in the last three years.
For anyone to think that Beams is the difference between a flag and not, is delusional. He is a good addition but he is nowhere near the difference between a premier and runner up. We will need a bit going for us but at least we seem to now know the road to travel to get there.

I don't think he will be the difference. The difference will be, hopefully, a better run with injuries plus more familiarity with the game plan. I still don't think Collingwood found their true rhythm despite great performances. This year was akin to our 2009 but we went one step further. Next year IMO we will have a strong system in place as we did in 2010 when we got the job done week in, week out. Doesn't guarantee a GF appearance but after going down by 5 points, there's no reason to not be confident in this group.

Adelaide were/are a different story. False equivalency. Firstly, they were dominant for all of 2017 whereas we were underdogs almost every time we played a top 8 side. And the Crows had other things going on. Their club unraveled. I mean that stare they did in each final was idiotic. That's not a sign of a team that's in a comfortable place, mentally speaking. When you resort to silly gimmicks like that, I'd say it's a sign of precarious fortitude. And any time a player wanted to leave, they were publicly pilloried by Tex and the club. Disinvited from places etc. Yeah Pyke could very well be a sociopath.
E 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:54 am

BBHS wrote:
So full circle the assets involved in the two deals:

Pies End up with:
JDG
Crisp
Beams
Greenwood

Bears End up with:
Pick 18
Pick 56
We slayed them in my opinion.

you cant include Beams in the summary as we had him before we traded him. Actually, the better way to say it is as follows:

Pies End up with:
JDG
Crisp
Greenwood
(one gun player short of a flag in the year Beams is unavailable)

Bears End up with:
4 years of Beams prime years (totally wasted)
Pick 18
Pick 56

We definitely slayed them.

Deja Vu 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:21 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
Deja Vu wrote:

No contest

Yes - but Gibbs’ outside run wasn’t on offer, so they’ve done the best they could.

Getting real tiresome

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:37 pm

Only if you think Collingwood needs another slow mid more than it needs outside run from the midfield. Also, Gibbs has kicked 4 goals in his last three finals and once kicked 3 in a final.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Player Forums All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 152, 153, 154 ... 186, 187, 188  Next
Page 153 of 188   

Jump to: