Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Criminal lawyer double agent as police informant

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:22 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

ronrat wrote:
What are the bar association doing about this? She is probably thinking about emigrating.

https://www.vicbar.com.au/news-events/media-release-%E2%80%93-statement-victorian-bar-regarding-high-court-and-victorian-court-appeal

From the release (issued on 3 December):

Victorian Bar President Dr Matthew Collins QC, said today, “The conduct of EF, as revealed by today’s judgments, is egregious and unprecedented in the 135 year history of the Victorian Bar.

“The Victorian Bar has been constrained in responding to this matter by the suppressed nature of the allegations and the proceedings, but will co-operate fully with the Royal Commission into Management of Informants and other relevant authorities in relation to this matter.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:46 pm

think positive wrote:
Culprit wrote:
It's amazing how many people know who 3838 actually is. Laughing Laughing Laughing

thats a hell of a figure!

Yeah I thought it was a name inspired by her bust size (pair of 38's) but no. I can see why people may have assumed it was The Hypen.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:47 pm

What does it look like?
K 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:26 pm

Nicola Gobbo named as Informer 3838 after court lifts gag

https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/nicola-gobbo-named-as-informer-3838-after-court-lifts-gag-20190208-p50wh5.html

Gobbo family distance themselves from Informer 3838

https://www.theage.com.au/national/gobbo-family-distance-themselves-from-informer-3838-20190301-p5117r.html
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:42 pm

Would have been gobsmacked if it wasn't Gobbo Shocked
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:46 pm

^

Yep, No one with access to the internet should be surprised.

K 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:58 pm

Jezza wrote:
Would have been gobsmacked if it wasn't Gobbo Shocked

Gobbosmacked.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:49 pm

"Knock me down wiv a fevver, Clever Trevor".

- Ian Dury
K 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:24 pm

Silvester:

"In 1993 police raided her Rathdowne Street home and seized methamphetamine valued at $82,000, half a kilo of cannabis and prohibited weapons. While two men faced more serious charges, she pleaded guilty to possession and use. No conviction was recorded, allowing her to embark on a legal career.

Certainly the arrest didn’t slow her down. In fact she was bragging to classmates within a few days of her brush with the dark side of the law. Police who dealt with her at the time believed she had just made a poor choice in boyfriends. It would not be her last.

She was a shameless self-promoter, leaking stories to gossip columnists who referred to her as a "hot shot legal eagle", "young blonde bombshell" and the "million-dollar eagle". Snippets included drinking rum with sailors in Bali, injuring her arm, scolding her dangerous clients in court and being picked up by police and fined $135 for not wearing a seatbelt while driving her silver Mercedes - hardly the stuff of the Law Journal.

Around that time [2004] she considered leaving the Bar and Australia to open a juice bar in Bangkok, Bali, or Brunei."

https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/putting-a-name-to-the-number-on-everyone-s-lips-20190228-p510rp.html
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:29 pm

That seems like a lot.
K 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:35 pm

Have you ever considered leaving the bar to become a vending machine?
ronrat 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:16 pm

A juice bar . Maybe Bali but Brunei?Alcohol free and heavily muslim. And bangkok give me a break. There are juice bars on the street everywhere. And cheap. Most work 7 days a week 12 hours a day. Could not imagine her making more than 50 bucks a day even today.
K 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:12 pm

But do juice bars normally sell alcohol? If not, being alcohol-free is no problem.

What do the Bangkok street juice bars sell?
K 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:32 pm

"Many in the legal fraternity remain baffled by the once-promising lawyer’s decision to betray some of the state’s most notorious criminals, in doing so abandoning the most fundamental conventions of her profession by furnishing police with privileged information.

One prominent Queen’s Counsel claims Gobbo has been the victim of "appalling manipulation" at the hands of senior police desperate to end the gangland war.

But most in the legal community blame Gobbo's vanity and hubris for her spectacular downfall.

Few lawyers are willing to speak on the record, as if any association with Gobbo could sully their own professional standing.

Another lawyer is more blunt, saying Gobbo was an "inveterate liar" who poisoned her family's good name.

There, she developed a love of partying and a taste for controversy. In 1991, she was with Collingwood footballer Darren Millane at the Tunnel nightclub on the night he drove home drunk and died. Gobbo would give evidence at the coronial inquest into Millane's death.

Former colleagues remain sceptical about evidence she might provide to the royal commission.

"Who’d believe her now? I'd back whatever she does will be in her own best interests," said a retired barrister."

https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/the-harder-they-fall-nicola-gobbo-from-gangland-lawyer-to-family-outcast-20190301-p5113d.html
ronrat 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:20 am

K wrote:
But do juice bars normally sell alcohol? If not, being alcohol-free is no problem. (She is a party animal. The citizens of Brunei do not work. The work is done mainly by Indonesians. The only place you can get a drink is in the Embassies and several high class hotels. But why would anyone in Brunei go to a juice bar when the Indonesian maid can make it for them. The Expats in the oil industry all have maids as well. One look at the airport in Brunei was enough for me. I did not say any juice for sale but a coffee vendor. a prayer room and a money exchange. She would not last 10 minutes in Brunei).

What do the Bangkok street juice bars sell?
Fruit juice. A litre carton of vegetable or fruit juice is on special for 56 baht at my nearby supermarket. . About 2.50. A bottle of water here is a fifth of what they charge in Australia. A beer is about 2 bucks. Who in their right mind would go into a bar and pay 4 times the amount for a juice of what is available outside.

K I suggest you travel and actually live for any length of time in these places. Because you might learn something.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8   

Jump to: