Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Current Morrison Federal Government

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:20 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

^

If that's the case, it's a better outcome and probably less expensive IMHO than needing offshore processing. Just send the boats back. If they could arrest the crew and burn the boat once the people disembark, even better.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:00 am

stui magpie wrote:
^

But the numbers attempting it have significantly reduced, the navy and coast guard couldn't cope with the previous numbers.

We actually don't know:

1. How much the whole shebang costs
2. How many are attempting to come
3. How many are being stopped
4. How many are being intercepted
5. How many are being repatriated

We don't know the cost of defence (military, navy and airforce)
We don't know the cost of paying overseas countries
We don't know the cost of providing services

We do know there are monumental financial f*ckups by this goverment. Most is hidden.

This one is a ripper: your taxes at work.

https://www.afr.com/news/politics/national/peter-dutton-had-no-sight-of-manus-contractor-paladin-20190213-h1b7jk

Explained by the invesitgative journalists in this interview tonight on Late Night Live with Phillip Adams:

https://abcmedia.akamaized.net/rn/podcast/2019/02/lnl_20190214_2220.mp3

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:49 pm

Good article.

https://www.theage.com.au/politics/federal/i-was-there-the-last-time-australian-politics-encouraged-people-smuggling-let-s-not-do-it-again-20190214-p50xxh.html

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:01 am

I always think of Scott Ludlams analogy for our supposedly humanitarian detention and turnback policy: locking the fire escapes on a burning building because the stairs are faulty.

Perhaps Rudd and Abbott do deserve some credit for stopping the boat trade; but they were only ever looking at the small picture that is, the boat trade itself. What else could we have done to actually facilitate safe journeys, intercept unseaworthy vessels, process claims efficiently and humanely and work with other countries in the region to distribute refugee placements and resources? The article refers euphemistically to push factors; but the problems its referring to are full-blown international humanitarian crises, ones that our border policies are doing nothing whatsoever to help.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:40 pm

Here's another interesting article in the Aged.

Quote:
A former people smuggler now living in Pakistan has been asked by his former bosses to return to Indonesia and test a future Shorten government by finding passengers willing to travel on boats to Australia.

The bosses, he says, have grown wealthy sending refugees to Europe, and are hoping to send a surge of boats to Australia to test Labor's resolve. However, the passing of the medical evacuation law this week was not the trigger, the former smuggler said.

"[A change of government] is the main reason they think the way will open again.

I dare say if the Aged can get this intel, so would the feds and both Shorten and Scomo would be well aware of it.

Quote:
More than 14,000 refugees and asylum seekers are living in Indonesia and only several hundred are resettled by the United Nations each year. The rest have been told that they may never be resettled in a third country.

Probably not very bright to go there then.

Quote:
The other 11 refugees interviewed, most of whom had come to Indonesia with family, insisted that boat journeys were too dangerous.

Khalil Payeez, a Pakistani Hazara who arrived in Indonesia in July, 2013, agreed that if Labor wins the next election "of course people smugglers will try to start moving and make propaganda," and that "Some might think of jumping [on a boat]."

"The smugglers will try to persuade people with promises ... The first boat is a test boat. If they go to Australia and get taken to Nauru or Manus no-one else will try. Here is much better than Manus, Nauru or Christmas Island," he said

So much for the offshore detention not being a deterrent I guess, but the turn backs also work.

Quote:
The decisive factor in most people's decision to stay in Indonesia has been the turn-backs policy. The former smuggler, who was at one time a mid-level operative for a major syndicate, agreed.

"[Turn-backs] costs both the passengers and the smugglers," he said.

And this is a smart bloke.

Quote:
Ashraf Jawadi, a 33-year-old Afghani who has lived in Cisarua for the past three years, insisted he, his wife and two children are "waiting to go legally. Not by boat. It is too dangerous".

"I lost many friends in 2011, 2012, 2013. Even now, we don't know what happened to them."

"If you go by resettlement [through the UNHCR] it means the Australian government invite you. If you go by boat they don't invite you. There is a door and a window. Don't go by window."

Couldn't have said it better myself.

https://www.theage.com.au/politics/federal/people-smugglers-plot-to-find-chinks-in-a-shorten-government-s-armour-20190214-p50xxo.html

The people smugglers are cashed up and willing to risk lives by trying to overwhelm the border protection

Quote:
"They want to push it. They want to send one, two, three, four, five, six, seven boats every week, twice a week ... then I think it will be hard for the [Australian] government to handle it. All of a sudden 1000 people, or 2000 in a month or two," he said

If either the system or the government cracks under the strain, these cnuts have access to a whole bunch of people from Afghanistan currently hiding out in Pakistan who they'll start shipping in. It's all about the money.

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:58 pm

The legislation hasn't changed as far as new arrivals go but fck let's not let the truth get in the way of a good fear campaign. As for the people on Manus Island they have been there way too long. It's time to process and accept or remove them. I am staggered about the medivac bill. If these people just happened to be prisoners of war they would be entitled to a hell of a lot more than what they are getting now. I laugh at idiots who say they should go through thee right channels, best advised the Syrian ones where the Australian embassy is standing that they can apply to in down town Allepo. All of a sudden there are 300 who need medical assistance and all of those are murderers and rapist. I judge someone who believes all that shite as a simpleton.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:24 pm

^

I'm going to assume that little rant wasn't aimed at me.

Couple of comments on your content though,

1. Show me a political party that doesn't love a good fear campaign. Repeat the soundbytes enough, you get traction even if it's bullshit.

2. The people left on Manus have been there too long. Letting them in after a waiting period just sends the message to the people smugglers that the border is open, so they need to process them faster and either send them back where they came from or if they are legit, get an agreement to resettle them elsewhere. It should be a way station, not a home.

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:31 pm

No Stui, my comment is in general. You don't believe everything put out there by either party. If I wanted to direct something at you I would, known you long enough Razz I don't want the people in or out, I want them processed.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:11 pm

Cant process them - theyre mostly refugees and theyd have to be let in.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:54 pm

Culprit wrote:
No Stui, my comment is in general. You don't believe everything put out there by either party. If I wanted to direct something at you I would, known you long enough Razz I don't want the people in or out, I want them processed.

Cheers mate, I thought so and ditto. I've got no issues with bringing in refugees, just control how many and hoe.

Pies4shaw wrote:

Got a couple of spare bedrooms there do you?

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:14 pm

Come unto me all ye that labour and are heavy laden etc etc.

I wouldn't have the poor in the actual house, Stui - but there are some cheaper vehicles in the garage they could sleep in like, say, a couple of the Renaults, I guess, at a pinch. Of course, we could close Manus and just buy them a house each with the savings, if that's your concern.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:08 am

Pies4Shaw wrote:

Exactly. The processing has already happened years ago. 80% or whatever have legitimate refugee claims. Oh, and NZ have offered to take them off our hands, but aparently that would provide too much incentive for people smugglers too. Rolling Eyes

Our government(s) (and, to an extent, opposition) have developed a brilliant logical argument from a bad premise, and now they cant see any way out of it. It really is a remarkable feat of pigheadedness.

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:43 am

https://smallcaps.com.au/iron-ore-price-australia-2019-federal-election/

All told though, the unexpected boom in iron ore prices will have political players on both sides breaking out their calculators and working out when the Federal Budget might move into balance.

The spoils of victory in the Federal election could be even greater than expected, even if iron ore prices moderate a little from here.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:57 am

Tell me a story.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:43 pm

Skids wrote:
https://smallcaps.com.au/iron-ore-price-australia-2019-federal-election/

All told though, the unexpected boom in iron ore prices will have political players on both sides breaking out their calculators and working out when the Federal Budget might move into balance.

The spoils of victory in the Federal election could be even greater than expected, even if iron ore prices moderate a little from here.

Time for another crack at the mining tax, perhaps.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 5 of 11   

Jump to: