Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

A Sheffield Shield record ?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:11 pm
Post subject: A Sheffield Shield record ?Reply with quote

Interesting totals in 2 of the SS matches, just completed.

Q'land 115 & 130.
Def. SA, 71 & 131.

Victoria 106 & 194.
Def. NSW, 135 & 102.

I'm wondering: Has this ever happened in Shield history, where 2 matches in the same round failed to see a 200 or plus total ?

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy
K 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:52 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

And on twitter, they say 13 ducks in QLD vs SA (this was before the end) equals the Shield record (held by the same sides, 2010/11).
Donny Aries

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:13 am

That brings back some great memories for me, as skipper of my local cricket team, in the Winter comp.

In 2001, we made the GF but the minor premiers were undefeated and had beaten us in the 4 home/away matches.

Batting first, our best bats got blown away but a gutsy lower order effort dragged us up to 112 from our 40 overs.

During lunch, I heard my v-c bemoaning our meagre total. I quickly reminded my boys that we had 112 runs. They hadn't ANY. My two opening bowlers took 4/10, each, from their 6 over spells. I came on and took the last 2 in 2 balls.

All out 34 !! 8 ducks. Smile

Some context: They had 2 batsmen - first drop & #4 - who both hit centuries in the Summer comp's First Grade opening round, on the following w/end, after double ducking in this most memorable Granny.

ronrat 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:59 am

I had sort of the opposite, We finished on top nut lost one game which was a one dayer when we we went to the pub a little early and lost by 5 runs. Played a semi against them and as skipper I walked up and said good luck. Opposition skipper said "How did you pricks finish on top. " and refused to shake my hand. Umpire said to me ""rude is not the word" First ball he smashed the ball to mid off and I dove and caught the smartarse, He refused to walk. Umpire said "You are the worst sport I have ever umpired. Walk or I will disqualify your side". He did but was reported. Got em out out for 68 and I refused to declare. We won by 300 runs , went on and won the GF. Opposition Captain of semi final team reported was given a 4 game penalty and his club put on a warning. Side we played in the GF were ok and we got drunk together for about 6 hours after the game and one of them was a fishmonger and we got free seafood platters.
Donny Aries

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:40 pm

How many ducks in the match ?

ronrat 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:28 am

A few Donny but none in my side. Once played a one day game and we made 179 . The other side was out for 49. Our Captain sent them back in to face 10 overs when all we wanted was a beer and so did they. The bloke who was their skipper carried his bat in the first dig and first ball of the second he cut it to point where I hung onto it. They were out for 12. 4 wides/no balls and 2 blokes hit a boundary. One was not out 4. So 9 ducks. They clearly did not want to be there. We played the same club about 2 years later. They were on the foothills of the Dandenongs. The fire alarm from the CFA went off and they apologised but 7 of the 11 were volunteer firemen and of course they had to supply 2 umpires. This was a 2 day (saturdays only game) so our Captain agreed to abandon the first days play and the association let us play a saturday/sunday game the next week. We decided to play a one day game instead as neither team could realistically make the finals.

Another game I played a very large chap was about 3 yards down the pitch and was stumped. Clear as day. He told the young fella at square leg if he gave him out he would belt him. The kid stuck to his guns and rightfully gave him out. The batsman then smashed the stumps and bails to the point that we only found one bail and 2 stumps were snapped in half. It was their home game but not at their pavillion and we won a 2 day game 15 overs in on a rule that says the home team must provide a pitch and stumps etc. The temper tantrum was witnessed by a paid umpire on an adjacent ground and he was given a 2 year suspension but a life one from his club.

K 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:49 pm

Chappelli:

The Sheffield Shield isn't producing enough Test-quality batsmen

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/26284523/sheffield-shield-producing-enough-test-quality-batsmen

"In two of the three games played - Victoria v New South Wales and Queensland v South Australia - there were eight completed innings, none of which reached a total of 200.

To further cloud a bleak outlook, only one of those innings passed 150 and Victoria (scoring 106 and 194) were the only one of the four teams to amass 300 for the match. The batting carnage ensued with the bowlers using the English Dukes ball; so much for preparing possible Australian team candidates for the Ashes series.

Sobers' innings on its own would have won the recent match for South Australia. Queensland gained outright points with a paltry match total of 245.

... if something isn't done to ensure that talented batting prospects are forthcoming in the future, then the renaissance just experienced in India might be short-lived."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: