Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post Match. Pies win thriller . All comments please.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rd10.1998_11.1#36 

rd10.1998_11.1#36

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 7:36 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Pies4shaw wrote:
Do opposition players get fired up by our banners or do they read them and say, “Yeah, that’s about right. We suck”?

Do they read them at all? Can they even see ours? I wouldn’t be surprised if most of them don’t even read their own banner. Should be the last thing on their minds in the warm up. Why would they care what the oppo cheer squad says anyway, they know it isn’t going to be “good luck & may the best team win”

tbaker 

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 10:27 am

Rd10.1998_11.1#36 wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
Do opposition players get fired up by our banners or do they read them and say, “Yeah, that’s about right. We suck”?

Do they read them at all? Can they even see ours? I wouldn’t be surprised if most of them don’t even read their own banner. Should be the last thing on their minds in the warm up. Why would they care what the oppo cheer squad says anyway, they know it isn’t going to be “good luck & may the best team win”

The opposition players would rarely see or read the banner, but opposition club officials would, and with clubs looking for any additional ounce of motivation (no matter how small), if there's a potential gain to be had by mentioning it during the breaks, they'll use it. Just like we deride Eddie for saying things that can come back to bite us, the cheer squad should also take heed...

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 10:33 am

“We quite like the ‘Pies
But when they’re behind
We cheer for the other guys
We really don’t mind.”

Appropriate 21st century cheer squad banners, number 2.
Rd10.1998_11.1#36 

rd10.1998_11.1#36

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 11:14 am

tbaker wrote:
Just like we deride Eddie for saying things that can come back to bite us, the cheer squad should also take heed...

Some fans deride Eddie or whoever for saying things, but it's mostly because they don't want to be humiliated by friends, colleagues and family IF we lose (which could possibly happen either way). The rest of us fans don't give a rats.

In reality, what people say has little to no measurable effect on the performance of the team or the outcome of the game. As I said before the Carlton game, if being bottom of the ladder with 1 win and 5 wooden spoons this century after not having won a flag in 25 years doesn't motivate you then someone saying you need a new coach won't either

Last edited by Rd10.1998_11.1#36 on Wed May 15, 2019 2:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 12:21 pm

Yes. It's only 24 years (sadly) on Grand Final Day 2019 but they haven't even played in a Grand Final this century, either, so their relevance to the competition in since 1999 has been lower than Collingwood's ever was during The Drought. If we can't mock them now, when can we do so?
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 12:30 pm

The two teams on 16 flags are 19 and 24 years adrift

Now swoop pies and snavel our 16th —oh and while ya at it 17th 😃

Rd10.1998_11.1#36 

rd10.1998_11.1#36

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 2:21 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
“We quite like the ‘Pies
But when they’re behind
We cheer for the other guys
We really don’t mind.”

Appropriate 21st century cheer squad banners, number 2.

We should have a weekly banner competition... SNAG-style of course

I'll start a thread

BazBoy 

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 2:55 pm

Welcome folks to the mighty G

Where Pies and Saints will meet

Our lads will do a handsome job

And our victory will be sweet

Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 3:52 pm

How I Saved Myself From Certain Heart Failure

On Saturday, I was at a Wedding. Somewhere out along the Great Ocean road, somewhere between Wye River and Kennett River. No TV, no WiFi, no reception and no radio.

Having no idea what was going on was rather painful. But not as painful as how I would have felt if I knew what was going on.

Once the wedding was done, all the photos taken and all the speeches made, we went back to the car where the radio was turned on just as the players sang the song. The sang it with a lot of passion and I knew something insane must have just happened.

I'm not sure who it was, but the radio announcer was saying this is what good teams do. Carlton gave Collingwood a scare, but the great teams win these games. They also discussed the closeness of the match and that neither club played badly.

I was somewhat confused as I was thinking, how could it have been so close? Did we almost lose? Should I be happy? Should I be sad? I couldn't wait to read nicks. I couldn't wait to read the game review and I couldn't wait to find out what happened.

Now keep in mind that I was away with mostly Essendon supporters who were upset about their game and trying to bring us down with the "you can barely beat Carlton" comments. Also it's worth pointing out that they were very late because they decided to drive down on the Saturday morning so they could watch their game on TV, rather than come down with everyone else on the Friday night. Imagine being late to your own sisters wedding because of that. Thats another story.

So last night I watched the replay and tried to read the Game Day Thread as the game went along. My brother said that I'm crazy and that I should fast forward until there is 7 minutes left in the 4th.

Watching the game, from the beginning, it was a different experience. This would be one of the first games I hadn't been to or watched live since the late 90's.

It would have been hell sitting there watching that game unfold. Even during the replay I found it nerve racking. The pressure would have been immense and the thought of losing to Carlton would have been unbearable.

Reading the game day comments was interesting. I always give people the benefit of the doubt during a game. And considering the opponent and what was happening, it wasn't bad at all. And I've seen some big comments made in the game day threads over the years.

Almost bang on 7 minutes left, Cripps misses a goal. From there it went: Crisp Goal, Brown goal, JDG goal, Phillips goal and WHE goal on the siren. What a final 7 minutes it was.

Forgetting ladder positions, this is one of the greatest wins we've had over Carlton. Watching the replay, knowing the final scores, is a different bunch of emotions compared to watching live. We didnt play badly. We were never out of the game. And we've all learnt a few things from the match.

1. We are not invincible.

2. We are are hard team to finish off.

3. These players bleed for the jumper.

I'm almost glad that I didnt have to sit there and die throughout the game, but it would have been something to be there for the final 7 minutes. Heart attack saved.

Wins like this build the club and push the team to better things. Looking forward to the Saints game.

npalm 

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 4:43 pm

^^ Nice post Presti.

I particularly like: "Having no idea what was going on was rather painful. But not as painful as how I would have felt if I knew what was going on."

I've decided that if we ever make another Grand Final, I'm going to find somewhere in the middle of Aus that doesn't have TV, radio, internet or phone reception and hole out there until it's over.
Having lived thru 10 losing Grand FInals (and two draws) I'm not going to put myself thru it again.

BazBoy 

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 5:32 pm

I watched the game live and my emotions get the better of me at times

But I have watched the whole game replay and was feeling both disappointed and apprehensive even tho I knew outcome

They had momentum from final stages of 1st to 4th qtr but because everyone was thinking how good Carlton were going missed a lot of our game which wasn’t that terrible

But a good side behind with 7 minutes and 11 points their hurdle can kick 5 goals has so much upside

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11
Page 11 of 11   

Jump to: