Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

#35,#1 Jaidyn Stephenson

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Player Forums

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 38, 39, 40 ... 126, 127, 128  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nearly 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:46 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I am SO disappointed in some of you.

A young man, 20 years old, did the wrong thing. No financial or sinister implications.

Who hasn’t?

He’s copped a fair old whack and i just know our beautiful club will be around him to stop this spiralling into something dark.

Get on board, instead of flaming the poor kid.

The club has enough reinforcements to take care of the on-field stuff.
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:56 pm

^ Well said Nearly.

slangman wrote:

Take the blinkers off

Or alternatively.... a Collingwood supporter could show some understanding and compassion for one of its own.
Bruce Gonsalves Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:03 am

Poor Jaydo isn't the sharpest tool in the tool shed and he is going to take a massive hit financially. I noticed he won the MOTY nomination for round 12.

Got me thinking, what's involved in pushing his votes up, like Tom Gleeson did with last years Gold Logie, and getting Jaydo up for the end of year prize?

Could it be done?
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:12 am

Bruce, they're back to having a committee judge the MOTY, with supporter votes only counting as 1 out of 11 votes. See the MOTY and GOTY thread.

This was a result of Jeremy Howe not winning the MOTY when by all rights he should have - another AFL stuff-up.
tbaker 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:26 am

Jezza wrote:
stoliboy wrote:
Punishment is too harsh.

Where is the incentive for other AFL players in the future to self report and come forward... you’re going to lose half the season.

The fact that he self-reported means he only misses 10 matches (half a season) compared to a whole season.

If he didn't self report and the AFL became aware of his activities, he wouldn't have received a reduction in his punishment today.

Well, not exactly Jezza...there's no doubt he received a discount because of his self-reporting, but the AFL also said that they arrived at the 10 week suspension in consideration of several factors. From the AFL website report:
"Dillon said the fact Stephenson self-reported, along with his age, cooperation in the investigation, remorse and previous cases saw them arrive at the 10-game ban"
I believe this whack will indeed discourage others (and it'd be naive to think there aren't others) from coming forward, especially if they are older players or who have bet on more occasions than Jaidyn did. They'll just go with the 0 week ban option for as long as they can, knowing that self-reporting may now just end their career.
I also believe that if this had been announced 10 games into the season, it'd be a 12 match ban, if it was 14 games in, it'd be an 8 week ban - in other words, the effective sentence just nicely fits the remaining duration of the h&a (and no doubt the club would've helped engineer this outcome, with the threat of legal challenges etc. if the AFL dared go any harder).

mgh3536 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:07 am

Former England and Manchester United midfielder Paul Scholes has been fined £8,000 after admitting breaking Football Association betting rules.

Scholes was charged after it was alleged that he placed 140 bets on football matches between 17 August 2015 and 12 January 2019.

The FA also warned him as to his future conduct.

"I would like to apologise and I understand and fully accept the fine imposed by the FA," said Scholes.

"It was a genuine mistake and was not done with any deliberate intention to flout the rules.

"I wrongly believed that as long as there was no personal connection between me and any of the matches that I bet upon, then there would be no issue.
Rd10.1998_11.1#36 

rd10.1998_11.1#36

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:30 am

eddiesmith wrote:
The betting companies are also happy to help out as they don’t want results fixed that costs them money

...and that’s why the relationship would continue, with or without sponsorship

It would be great to bring some public pressure on the AFL- and the remaining clubs who still have pokies - to ‘quit’ gambling

WhyPhilWhy? 

WhyPhilWhy?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:57 am

Don't bet in the sport you play in is a fairly universal rule - it was plain dumb to do so.

Lucky for him he didn't bet on himself to kick 4 goals and then be found to miss shots after kicking those 4.

But also, don't buy shares in your company based on inside information, don't prescribe for your own family if you're a doctor, don't provide evidence against your own clients if you're a lawyer - all dumb moves.
colin_wood 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:11 am

Its like a drug dealer punishing a young user for using drugs that the dealer sold to him......
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:50 am

colin_wood wrote:
Its like a drug dealer punishing a young user for using drugs that the dealer sold to him......

IT REALLY IS!!

Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:18 pm

Do little bets on so and so kicking a goal explain why we handball to other players when we have a set shot 30m dead in front?
Dark Beanie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:33 pm

The AFL will have to investigate every game when a player misses a shot on goal that costs a win.

And have a look at Carlton. With all those top picks surely they can't be that crap Very Happy

WhyPhilWhy? 

WhyPhilWhy?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:34 pm

colin_wood wrote:

It really isn't - he's allowed to bet, just not on the sport he's involved in.

Jockeys, strappers and trainers seem to manage it.
LaurieHolden Aquarius

Floreat Gymnorhina tyrannica

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:46 pm

How many times have we now read statements about he should have known better...e.g. Jordan Lewis taking the moral high ground, I thought that was over the top.
It is clear that players receive education briefings. A 10 year + player would have had countless briefings over his career, with that your obligations as a player sink in even more.
Good on Howe for steering a young man in the right direction, he should receive a Club / broader commendation for that. Just think for a moment if he let it slide and it became a bigger issue.

Think for a moment, a second year player, at 20 y/o. , but his feet probably haven't touched the ground since he walked through the doors.
The gravity of the issue clearly slipped through him and no doubt other players in the AFL.

I don't have an issue re the outcome of the investigation and resultant suspension. The integrity of our game is sacrosanct.
And it is not about Collingwood.

If we should point the finger, start with the AFL, a contradiction in allowing and taking betting sponsorship in one hand and at the same time ignoring the social impact.
Time the AFL take a stand and leave a legacy. They've had a terrible year, rules interpretation and handling of the crowd behaviour as examples.

I'll say it again, time to re-shape the AFL board, too many silvertails and not enough community grounded appointments.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:03 pm

I liked Titus O'Reilys recent tweets:

The AFL is furious with Jaidyn Stephenson for placing a bet.
“We make money off gambling, not the players”

and

"Jaidyn Stephenson has been handed a 22-match ban (12 matches suspended) and fined $20,000. I'm disappointed as I'd backed him to get seven weeks through the AFL's official wagering partner."

Nathan Buckley wow, just wow. That interview on SEN is compelling listening.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Player Forums All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 38, 39, 40 ... 126, 127, 128  Next
Page 39 of 128   

Jump to: