Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

In defence of Appleby

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
K 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:00 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Jezza wrote:
Understand the frustration around Appleby, but the coaching staff threw him to the wolves. ...

Like Madgen against Buddy, huh?
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:03 am

I was just thinking about him. If this results in Appleby's cards being marked then that's two promising defenders whose careers and confidence will have been hurt this year by bad selections.
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:09 am

Yes, that was little to do with Appleby. I hope he and the club view it accordingly.

Taking selection risks to build depth with an eye on finals makes sense, but not to the extent you create terrible mismatches. That said, we were probably also thinking about run and fresh legs after Perth, and no one could've predicted our first quarter debacle.

But one does suspect too much joy was taken from the Eagles win. At least next week matters more than ever, and complacency should no longer be an issue.

inxs88 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:20 am

David wrote:
I was just thinking about him. If this results in Appleby's cards being marked then that's two promising defenders whose careers and confidence will have been hurt this year by bad selections.

Whose the other?

Ads7 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:51 am

watt price tully wrote:
This match was not lost because of Appleby. Applelby is fine and has a good many attirbutes to make him firsts material. To single him out from yesterdays game shows a remarkable lack of understanding.

We got smashed in the Midfield. We were piss weak there. This not only included the obvious centre clearances but the rebound out of our forward line too.

Appleby was mismatched. Most players lowered their colours & the fact the ball was down there so much means we got to see Appleby mismatched far too often: not the kids fault at all.

Put him in a team with say: Langdon, Greenwood and Moore as well as other missing players then we can gauge his worth. The ball was coming in quicker than dummy spits on Nicks during the match. Context here is everything and mentioning Appleby without the context noted above is simply pointless....in my humble opinion.

Laughing This comment is gold. Game day thread is turbulent at best. Sure hope none of our players ever read one. Seriously.

Re: Appleby. You're spot on. It's easy to pick on the inexperienced young player who was instructed to play on a taller/more developed forward in his first game for the year but our issue wasn't him.

What concerns me most at the moment is I don't know which version of our team will turn up. Yes we are ravaged by injuries (just for something new) but it appears to me that our overall effort/spirit is inconsistent.

Even earlier this season we seemed to cruise during some matches and just 'show up' for patches and get the job done. I remember Ads Treloar remarking after one of those games that we played like we thought we would just win automatically and only when we sensed the game was on the line we lifted. Also, I barely remember a match in recent times where we completely flogged a team. We often take the foot off the gas when we know the game is won and how many times have we seen a goal kicked within the last minute or two of a quarter?

I wish we could adopt a ruthless, foot-on-the-throat, 'never say die' mentality. No game is easy. You don't win just by showing up. These boys need to learn to be 'on' from siren to siren and take no prisoners. Not sure how this is instilled in players but perhaps they could take a leaf out of Crispy's book. Love the man. He never gave up on the weekend even when game was out of reach.
Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:47 pm

Exactly. Can’t really blame him for a selection and game plan error. GWS said they’d target Appleby the moment team selections were announced, so we should have been prepared.

It’s not as bad as the Jason Cloke incident though.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:19 pm

By my calculation, he's been the 13th-choice defender selected for Collingwood behind all of:

Langdon
Noble
Madgen
Scharenberg
Mayne
Aish
Greenwood
Moore
Quaynor
Maynard
Howe
Roughead

That ignores Murray, who can't play, Dunn and Kelly and Murphy, both of whom are better footballers but have been injured for most of the season.

So, I suppose he's about the 17th-best defender at the Club. I don't think we blame him for anything that happened (although it is, of course, perfectly reasonable to hope that one of the other 16 takes his place this week).
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:49 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
The fault lies with the selection committee. Goldsack should have been selected. What we needed was hardness and he has that in spades.

We lost the Game at the Selection Table

MJ23 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:07 pm

watt price tully wrote:
This match was not lost because of Appleby. Applelby is fine and has a good many attirbutes to make him firsts material. To single him out from yesterdays game shows a remarkable lack of understanding.

We got smashed in the Midfield. We were piss weak there. This not only included the obvious centre clearances but the rebound out of our forward line too.

Appleby was mismatched. Most players lowered their colours & the fact the ball was down there so much means we got to see Appleby mismatched far too often: not the kids fault at all.

Put him in a team with say: Langdon, Greenwood and Moore as well as other missing players then we can gauge his worth. The ball was coming in quicker than dummy spits on Nicks during the match. Context here is everything and mentioning Appleby without the context noted above is simply pointless....in my humble opinion.

yep 100% correct.
There was NO pressure on the ball carrier through the midfield and entry into the their forward line in the 1st qtr. I was up that end and felt really sorry for all defenders. Appleby stood in front of a taller opponent and the ball sat on his head. He stood behind and they hit up the lead. He stood a few meters in front and they kicked it over the heads of both for Finlayson to run onto it.

inxs88 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:23 pm

Listen the entire legal firm of LA LAW couldn't get Appleby off this charge!
K 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:27 pm

^ They'd plead insanity (of the selection committee).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2   

Jump to: