Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Injury and illness

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 59, 60, 61 ... 94, 95, 96  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:53 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

COLLINGWOOD

Jamie Elliott - General Soreness (TEST) Think he'll be playing. Perhaps we rested the wrong guy?

Josh Thomas - Hip (TEST) Tested and passed after being omitted from the team 2 weeks ago. Perhaps should have sat out the VFL match before missing last week too.

Chris Mayne - Knee (TEST)

Anton Tohill - Hip (TEST)

John Nobel - Calf (TBC)

James Aish - Shoulder (TBC) Tested and passed last week. Perhaps should have sat it out. Is a definite out this week.

Will Kelly - Leg (TBC) Should have been tested this week and due back next week, but now listed "TBC". Weird.

Levi Greenwood - Hamstring (TBC)

Darcy Moore - Hamstring (TBC)

Ben Reid - Calf and Hamstring (TBC) Still listed as "TBC". Not looking good after hamstring strain at training.

Nathan Murphy - Back (TBC) Was some chance to play last week, Thought would at least be a test, but another "TBC".

Daniel Wells - Knee (5 Weeks) Recovering better than expected.

Dayne Beams - Hip/Mental Health (5-9 weeks/Indefinite)

Tom Langdon - Knee (Season) Got the news we were all waiting for. Gave him a chance to recover, hasn't worked that way. But at least now we know. See you next year Tom.

Lynden Dunn - Knee (Season)

https://www.afl.com.au/news/injury-list

Quote:
Aish will be sidelined but Mayne remains a chance and Elliott could return to face Richmond at the MCG on Friday night. Greenwood and Noble will again miss out and Thomas will be assessed, while Moore will miss an undetermined number of games with a "minor" hamstring injury. Reid is closing in on a return, as is Murphy, whose return has been delayed by another week, while Kelly is also being managed conservatively. Stephenson will be available at finals time while Wells will race the clock to return before season's end. But the campaign seems over for Langdon and veterans Dunn and Beams, with the latter now taking indefinite leave to deal with his mental health issues. - Ben Collins

I'm just about lost for words. Things were starting to look good. We've played a few sore players and paid the price. In the AFL and in the VFL too.

7 players passed their fitness test last week. We've got 4 tests this week, but I ask you Pies, can you not play them unless they are actually fit. The news on Aish could have been avoided.

Then there are 6 players listed as "TBC". This is very worrying. Because TBC could mean anything. From 1 week to season. I dont know how Kelly has been knocking off all the weeks and just as he gets to 1, they say TBC.

I feel though Levi is being rested rather than risked. He is not far off. Murphy was rumoured to play soon and has gone from indefinite to TBC, so I guess this could be a good thing? Was hoping to see him listed as a test. But I feel he is close.

Got the bad news we were expecting on Langdon. Bad news on Reid. No news on Beams. And no timeline for Moore. Only good news this week is that Wells is recovering faster than expected and could return in round 22 or 23.

Just have to hope that some of these TBC's are short term and that we dont play anyone who is hurt, ie; Aish.

We need a win more that ever on Friday and no more injuries!

BazBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:01 pm

I’m finding it extremely difficult to take this continuity of injury and yep I can see how you get tackled and thrown down like Aish you hit a shoulder or turn awkwardly and twist a knee / ankle

But these calf and hamstrings at training mystifying—I’m not medically gifted but training is (or should be controlled) unlike the intense hurly burly of game

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:51 pm

A bit of perspective folks.

In terms of soft tissue injuries, we have several players, Reid, Moore, Elliott and Wells (even at North), who have long histories of these type of injuries, suggesting they have inherent weaknesses in their bodies. Add to that the obvious weakness in Scharenberg's knees. That's 5 key players on our list, who are inherently prone to recurring injuries.

I'm no expert on fitness, training or medicine, but I seriously doubt whether any different preparation for these players would have resulted in better outcomes. The club has done everything possible to assist these players, including flying Elliott and Moore to see a German sports medicine guru.

As for the rest of our list, let's not forget that footy is a brutal contact sport, where contact injuries in particular are unavoidable. At the end of the day, apart from the 5 injury prone players I've mentioned, other injuries seem to me to be nothing but bad luck and are part of the normal outcome of playing this gladiatorial game.
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:00 pm

A good assessment Rude Boy and Reid for instance had years relatively trouble free (years up to 2010 GF and immediately after) then it spiralled out into repeating soft tissue

Cannot comment on Moore / Elliot pre drafting but did have a string of games

Wells like Beams had issues pre when picked up —-was it a good or bad gamble for these older players

I’m sure club is trying to right the injuries

Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:59 pm

From the latest list, I think Beams, Reid and of course Dunn & Langdon will be the only players not to suit up again at some level in 2019.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:14 pm

Error. I just answered my own question
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:21 pm

Did Beam,s say a back or hip (not sure which) was injury he bought with him
from Lions
Also saying discussion with club was managing said injury (said this on a “rest” week maybe only six or so game in to season

The mental problems came along later—if he gets head right and the “injury “
subsides there could be a chance with a BUT

Come in as complete right and stay in —and perform

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:25 pm

I doubt he'll play again this year.

In fact I wouldn't be surprised if he retired at season's end.
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:33 pm

Would be awesome if we could renegotiate Beams' contract and both part ways at the end of this year.
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:17 pm

Feel there will be a few exits due to age / injury

Wells
Reid

Feel one player should be considered to go around again is Goldy

Achilles 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:21 pm

I’d like to see Wells go another year.
Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:24 pm

i'm really surprised Maynard hasn't featured on the list. Every game he goes down like he's dead and miraculously recovers.
K 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:45 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
... At the end of the day, apart from the 5 injury prone players I've mentioned, other injuries seem to me to be nothing but bad luck and are part of the normal outcome of playing this gladiatorial game.

Compare our last eight years to an average club's injury profile. Those other clubs are playing the same game. Has our club been better than average in any of those eight years? I can't even be sure it's had any average years. I'm sure it hasn't had any good ones.

It's always possible for something to be purely bad luck, but how many years of the same as the last eight years would it take for you to think it was not just bad luck? It sounds like no matter how bad hypothetically the injuries were and for how long, you'd try to rationalise it as bad luck.
K 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:49 pm

Presti35 wrote:
I'm just about lost for words. ...

It's okay. We'll just add you to the Nick's injury list, and there's heaps of time to recover before the Member Forum.
Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:36 pm

Here’s some fun reading. Check out the injury lists of some ‘legitimate’ Top 4 prospects:

Collingwood: 16 (plus Stephenson)
Up to 11 (12 inc. Stephenson) would be considered top 22 players

Geelong: 5
2 (at most) would be top 22 players

Brisbane: 3 (2 of which are ‘tests’)

West Coast: 13 (many of them ‘tests’)
3 would be considered top 22 players

GWS: 12
6 would be considered top 22 players

In summary, we have ZERO chance of a premiership this year. Basically, only ‘healthy’ teams end up winning flags. At best, we limp into a prelim or GF on pure G’n’D and add another GF loss to the list.

Depressing, I know. But it ain’t happening.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 59, 60, 61 ... 94, 95, 96  Next
Page 60 of 96   

Jump to: