Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

George Pell sexual abuse trials and fresh investigation

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:31 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

In a situation where you have one persons word against another with zero evidence to support either case, you may make a decision on which one you believe but I don't understand how you could decide that beyond reasonable doubt
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:22 pm

Appears to be a gross miscarriage of justice under the legal system but probably a morally just punishment. He's obviously covered up for and facilitated pedo priests for decades but ultimately that isn't what he was being charged with.

I think he's suffered from the very common legal problem of being an unlikeable dick and having to front a jury, even if he didn't testify (which was to hide what an insufferable tosser he is).
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:50 pm

^

I've said similar previously, he's been nailed to the cross for the sins of the church, which I don't have a massive issue with morally but hard to defend legally.

Woods Of Ypres 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:13 pm

juries are idiots, i was on a jury recently for a similar thing (alleged sex crime), a few of the jurors said they didn't like the look of him hence guilty. you get bums on juries, unemployed etc
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:16 pm

^ One does worry about that. I've heard the same from someone else who previously sat on a jury. One hopes that having twelve jurors mitigates that risk.
Woods Of Ypres 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:18 pm

we got there in the end, but it was scary tbh
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:35 pm

Summary of reasons for the decision.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kvCpgIG5Ino062dD3JnzJOk3DLIyYo_c/view

I got it from the Herald Sun so don't know if it's protected.

The appeal centred on the 1st ground of appeal, that essentially the jury could not make the decision that there was no reasonable doubt. 2 of the 3 Judges rejected that.

Much of the analysis centred on Opportunity. In criminal investigations, the holy trinity is Means, Opportunity, Motive. It seems 2 of the 3 rejected that there was not reasonable doubt on the matter of opportunity, believing whether or not he actually did it came down then to whether you believed the evidence of the complainant since Pell never testified in his own defence.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:14 pm

It doesn't appear to be behind a paywall but, in case it finds its way behind one, here's the link to the summary as published on the Court's website: https://www.supremecourt.vic.gov.au/sites/default/files/2019-08/pell_v_the_queen_judgment_summary_-_web_0.pdf

In any event, why not read the reasons for judgment? It isn't complex (although it is very long) and it deals with all the question you really want answered about, eg, the role of juries and why a jury verdict should be preferred, in the ordinary course of events, to the opinion of 3 judges: https://www.supremecourt.vic.gov.au/sites/default/files/2019-08/pell_v_the_queen_2019_vsca_186_-_web_2.pdf

In case the Supreme Court link to the reasons is unavailable, here's the Austlii link:

http://www8.austlii.edu.au/cgi-bin/viewdoc/au/cases/vic/VSCA/2019/186.html
KenH Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:55 pm

I believe that it is "God's will" that he serves time! Ha ha
K 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:27 pm

Did anyone watch the livestream? Would it just be reading out the documents P4S links?
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:32 pm

I was watching ABC 24, but it seems the court livestream they were broadcasting was having lots of technical difficulties (lagging, glitches, etc.). Still, heard the key bits; it was pretty brief and to the point.
K 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:38 pm

It's possible that the interest exceeded the bandwidth.
K 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:38 pm

Why Justice Mark Weinberg believed George Pell should go free

https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/why-justice-mark-weinberg-believed-george-pell-should-go-free-20190821-p52jaj.html

'Justice Weinberg ... said there was a body of evidence that made it "impossible to accept" the victim's account.

"From ... the complainant’s evidence, it can be seen that there was ample material upon which his account could be legitimately subject to criticism. There were inconsistencies, and discrepancies, and a number of his answers simply made no sense," Justice Weinberg wrote in his judgment released on Wednesday.

"An unusual feature of this case was that it depended entirely upon the complainant being accepted, beyond reasonable doubt, as a credible and reliable witness. Yet the jury were invited to accept his evidence without there being any independent support for it."

After assessing the evidence presented at Pell's County Court trial last year, Justice Weinberg said he would have quashed the cardinal's five convictions for child sex offences.

But he was in the minority.

Of the 325-page judgement delivered by the Court of Appeal, Justice Weinberg's reasons accounted for 200 pages.

"I am troubled by the fact that I find myself constrained to differ from two of my colleagues whose opinions I always respect greatly," he wrote.

"That has caused me to reflect even more carefully upon the proper outcome of this application. Having done so, however, I cannot, in good conscience, do other than to maintain my dissent." '
K 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:40 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
FWIW, the President, the Chief Justice and the Honourable Justice Weinberg will work this out, entirely unassisted.

We now have the uncomfortable position of having had split juries and split judges.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:17 am

KenH wrote:
I believe that it is "God's will" that he serves time! Ha ha

Well done!!

Even made the news here! Good stuff, may he rot!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
Page 16 of 33   

Jump to: