Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

#2 Jordan De Goey

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 75, 76, 77 ... 299, 300, 301  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:40 pm
Post subject: Re: YepReply with quote

Hiss wrote:
I think the Club has grossly overreacted here! We need him in the side and I could not care less about his boozing issues! They are his private affairs just like Bonking Barnaby. The media should butt out and the Club should have the guts to name him for Round One in the Seniors. That would tell the nanny State tools where they can go. We need to win games. That’s all that counts to me in 2018. Putting him in the VFL is a bloody insult to us fans. The Club should ring him tonight and apologise for doing this to him. After all we sell grog in the Social Club on game days. We profit from the booze. Yet we suspend a great player for consuming it. Does any one see the double standard here? If we go ahead with this suspension of him, our first banner should read Sorry Champ, we have caved in to the nanny State!

He'll play round 1 Hiss... Keep the faith.

As you say, no point throwing the baby out with the bath water!

Go PIES!

KellyD33P 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:04 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Can we shave his eyebrows for the hawthorn game?
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:47 pm

The simple reality is that plenty of people in society would lose their job if they lost their licence whether they be truck drivers, tradesmen or people unable to access public transport to get to their place of employment when required. Some workplaces also require employees to undergo random alcohol and drug testing so it's folly to believe that by committing this act and being punished furthermore by the club that he's being treated more harshly than some others in society.

de Goey is actually very fortunate his livelihood doesn't rely on having a licence to drive.

Secondly people taking the view that the clubs measures are draconian are missing the point that footballers are blessed with so many opportunities that people employed in standard forms of work would never benefit from. Our club like all others employ people specifically with the purpose to help them be the best they can be on and off the field and if anything the players are probably to mollycoddled and kept within a bubble outside the reality most people find themselves in.

Of course if they prove themselves good enough to have a sustained career they can achieve for themselves a high standard of living and will also reap the benefits post career whether that be by business opportunities opened up because of their profile, contacts made through the club or goodwill from your average football fan who just wants to be associated with them.

Hell you can have an average career like a Chris Egan and you still might have a club President willing to loan you $10,000 when you find yourself in a spot of bother.

Naturally for all these benefits some conditions outside your simple ability to physically turn up to training or on match day is expected but how is that different to anyone else exchanging services for money?

Unless you're somehow blessed and can get paid for merely sitting at your work desk playing computer games or can call it a day after erecting a single fence post you will have tasks set by an employer that must be completed per day/week/month, expectations placed about the acceptable quality of those completed tasks and conditions set by which the tasks must be undertaken.

If you wish to get paid and keep your job you'll adhere to them.

de Goey is no different in this regard and has signed a contract with his employer that I assume has specific conditions that are expected in relation to his physical conditioning and mental health, behavioural standards and responsibilities towards the football club as a whole.

What people constantly overlook is that de Goey is employed as a professional athlete and with that comes conditions directed by the club when it comes to his physical health and presenting himself in the best possible physical shape in order to perform to his optimum.

This is after all what we are paying him for is it not so how getting highly intoxicated could possibly be seen in line with this club expectation for any footballer during a season is beyond me.

While people might lament this decision by the club because it extends the punishment beyond that of the individual I'd strongly argue that by not taking the same professional approach that most of his teammates seemingly try to adhere to he's already harming what is already a team sport, a team effort and his teammates aren't seeing the best that de Goey has to offer even when he's been out on the playing field with them.

Time to decide Jordan if you want to be part of the team or part of the problem holding it back.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:54 pm

Brilliant post swoop
E 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:32 am

swoop42 wrote:
The simple reality is that plenty of people in society would lose their job if they lost their licence whether they be truck drivers, tradesmen or people unable to access public transport to get to their place of employment when required. Some workplaces also require employees to undergo random alcohol and drug testing so it's folly to believe that by committing this act and being punished furthermore by the club that he's being treated more harshly than some others in society.

de Goey is actually very fortunate his livelihood doesn't rely on having a licence to drive.

Secondly people taking the view that the clubs measures are draconian are missing the point that footballers are blessed with so many opportunities that people employed in standard forms of work would never benefit from. Our club like all others employ people specifically with the purpose to help them be the best they can be on and off the field and if anything the players are probably to mollycoddled and kept within a bubble outside the reality most people find themselves in.

Of course if they prove themselves good enough to have a sustained career they can achieve for themselves a high standard of living and will also reap the benefits post career whether that be by business opportunities opened up because of their profile, contacts made through the club or goodwill from your average football fan who just wants to be associated with them.

Hell you can have an average career like a Chris Egan and you still might have a club President willing to loan you $10,000 when you find yourself in a spot of bother.

Naturally for all these benefits some conditions outside your simple ability to physically turn up to training or on match day is expected but how is that different to anyone else exchanging services for money?

Unless you're somehow blessed and can get paid for merely sitting at your work desk playing computer games or can call it a day after erecting a single fence post you will have tasks set by an employer that must be completed per day/week/month, expectations placed about the acceptable quality of those completed tasks and conditions set by which the tasks must be undertaken.

If you wish to get paid and keep your job you'll adhere to them.

de Goey is no different in this regard and has signed a contract with his employer that I assume has specific conditions that are expected in relation to his physical conditioning and mental health, behavioural standards and responsibilities towards the football club as a whole.

What people constantly overlook is that de Goey is employed as a professional athlete and with that comes conditions directed by the club when it comes to his physical health and presenting himself in the best possible physical shape in order to perform to his optimum.

This is after all what we are paying him for is it not so how getting highly intoxicated could possibly be seen in line with this club expectation for any footballer during a season is beyond me.

While people might lament this decision by the club because it extends the punishment beyond that of the individual I'd strongly argue that by not taking the same professional approach that most of his teammates seemingly try to adhere to he's already harming what is already a team sport, a team effort and his teammates aren't seeing the best that de Goey has to offer even when he's been out on the playing field with them.

Time to decide Jordan if you want to be part of the team or part of the problem holding it back.

He makes peanuts and you want to hold him to the standard of perfection. seems a little much to me.

I am incredibly valuable in the role that i perform and if i broke my leg it would impact my ability to perform my job. Does that mean i can never go skiing? Of course not. i perform my job better if i get 10 hours sleep a night. does this mean i can never go out? Of course not.

Pro athletes in the US make $20 million and aren't expected to refrain from drinking when they are on their time. he is required to be a professional while he is at work.

I get that DeGoey needs to be held to a professional standard. i don't think getting drunk one time in February is a breach of that standard.

He made a boneheaded decision. He has shown himself not necessarily blessed with great judgment but a fairly healthy opinion of himself. drinking and driving is entirely consistent for a person with those characteristics. This doesnt mean he isnt professional.

Heath Shaw, Alan Didak and Dayne Swan were professionals whose down time didn't affect their performance. No different here.

All of the punishment they are dishing out is simply for the PR effect and to avoid the need to make him miss game time.

And by the way, to the clowns who say he is hated at the club, i say this.

It is highly unusual for someone to be best friends with a leader at the club and be on the outside!! I suspect he is not as unpopular with the playing group as some people have manufactured. People say he had a fight with Blair. Jarryd Blair, the same guy who most of you think shouldn't be at the club (and the guy who stands the most to lose from DeGoey since they are currently playing the same position).

Finally, i am not making ANY excuses for him. I am just trying to right size the reaction.

K 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:16 am

E wrote:
swoop42 wrote:

Secondly people taking the view that the clubs measures are draconian are missing the point that footballers are blessed with so many opportunities that people employed in standard forms of work would never benefit from.

He makes peanuts and you want to hold him to the standard of perfection. seems a little much to me.

I am incredibly valuable in the role that i perform and if i broke my leg it would impact my ability to perform my job. Does that mean i can never go skiing? Of course not. i perform my job better if i get 10 hours sleep a night. does this mean i can never go out? Of course not.

Pro athletes in the US make $20 million and aren't expected to refrain from drinking when they are on their time. he is required to be a professional while he is at work.

Peanuts? I don't know what his current contract is worth, but the average AFL salary is $371,000 (and rising).
I hardly think preventing oneself from drink driving at the 0.095 level when your legal limit is 0.00 approaches perfection, either.

Skiing is not illegal. In fact, if you were a Melbourne supporter, it would be mandatory. Getting 10 hrs sleep a night is not compulsory, although you might obtain it unintentionally if you set out to watch 10 hrs straight of AFLX.

I'd have to check what restrictions and penalties US athletes typically face. But typically they have no job security at all and can be cut from the roster at what we would consider to be very strange times.
K 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:26 am

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/sports/wp/2015/07/06/yes-there-are-some-things-pro-athletes-arent-allowed-to-do/?utm_term=.01b3127fd897

Quote:

In team sports, contracts include stipulations that govern which activities athletes are responsible for, should an off-the-field injury strike. Every league’s uniform player contract includes a description of banned activities, and teams can add their own touches to all or individual contracts.

The clauses began showing up in baseball contracts, which were guaranteed thanks to the sport’s strong union. After Lonborg’s injury – which led indirectly to a shoulder injury and a series of wayward seasons – the prohibitions became baked-in to contracts.

For example, the standard NBA contract specifically prohibits boxing, professional wrestling, motorcycling, moped-riding, auto-racing, sky-diving and hang-gliding. How should a hang-gliding enthusiast bide his time until his NBA career expires? Well, the contract expressly permits golf, tennis, handball, swimming, hiking, softball and volleyball.

The NFL’s uniform player contract is vaguer, disallowing players from “any activity other than football which may involve a significant risk of personal injury.” Baseball teams tend to be more specific. The New York Yankees once banned log-rolling in their standard contract; the Washington Nationals prevent players from piloting a plane.

Outlawed offseason hoops helped change baseball history. In January 2004, New York Yankees third baseman Aaron Boone tore his anterior cruciate ligament playing pick-up basketball, which his one-year, $5.75-million contract forbade. The Yankees cut Boone, a newly minted postseason hero they planned to play all season.

One season after the Chicago Bulls made him the second overall pick in the NBA Draft, point guard Jay Williams wrecked his Yamaha motorcycle and suffered career-ending injuries. The Bulls cut ties with him, giving him $3 million for medical expenses. They would have paid him $10.3 million for two years had he remained healthy.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/football-rules-you-must-not-drink-and-must-eat-what-youre-told-still-want-to-be-a-professional-673144.html
(2/12/2004)

Quote:
Among the restrictions placed on Chelsea's millionaire players are a midnight curfew on all nights except those before a rest day - when they must be home before 2am; and the reminder that "the medical department is responsible for choosing the meal menu - no complaints are allowed".

Want to play golf, ride a motorcycle, use a mobile phone or laptop computer? Check the rules first. Brentford and Chelsea are among the many clubs which ban motorcycles completely; Brentford forbid golf less than 48 hours before a match. Another Premiership club bans golf within 72 hours of matchdays, and even then insist a buggy is used.

That club also insists on the right to veto a player living "at any place which the club deems to be undesirable".

Alcohol, while rarely banned, is increasingly subject to so many restrictions it becomes difficult to consume without breaking a rule, especially when clubs are playing twice a week. The seriousness with which booze is now regarded is evident in Brentford's rule that anyone caught drinking prior to an away game will immediately be sent home at their own expense, and no one is to drink at Griffin Park at any time.
themonk 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:36 am

I see we are now seeking EPL & NBA examples to make a point.

Maybe l'm somewhat simple so I'll stick to the AFL,

DeGoey, a bit of a ratbag, 22 years old and caught drink driving and the media and society wish to crucify him.

Hodge, a successful mature captain and family man caught drink driving. Media and society accept he made a mistake and move on.

It seems that people have an issue with young players who are ungrateful for the opportunities they are given rather than the crime itself..

Allow the club more time to work on this kid, believe me, if we do decide to let him go come season end he will be wanted by numerous clubs which will happily offer plenty for him. I hope it doesn't come to that and he can turn things around.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:38 am

swoop42 wrote:

I didn't know he wanted to join the coaching staff? Wink
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:00 am

You can’t compare the salary to the us sports stars though, it’s not realistic. Not many Aussie sports stars on Aussie soil earn those big bucks, and he has the potential to be in the highest bracket here.

As for the rest, he broke the law. Not his leg. He was .004 away from a court appearance and may be jail. You can get to work on a broken leg, he can’t get to work from jail. And it’s far different when you have already proved yourself, he is still earning back respect or at least supposedly trying too. Good on Goldsack for calling him out, he has hardly any muscle tone, and at his age it’s not hard to get. He’s hearts not in it. A six figure income at his age in this country is not to be sneezed at, he should $£$%^%%$ earn it.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:03 am

themonk wrote:

DeGoey, a bit of a ratbag, 22 years old and caught drink driving and the media and society wish to crucify him.

Hodge, a successful mature captain and family man caught drink driving. Media and society accept he made a mistake and move on.

It seems that people have an issue with young players who are ungrateful for the opportunities they are given rather than the crime itself..

Allow the club more time to work on this kid, believe me, if we do decide to let him go come season end he will be wanted by numerous clubs which will happily offer plenty for him. I hope it doesn't come to that and he can turn things around.

I’m pissed off with both, and I reckon the club have it exactly right. Interested to know how he will get to work and training!

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:04 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
swoop42 wrote:

I didn't know he wanted to join the coaching staff? Wink

Hehehe

BazBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:48 am

We have all had opinions and made comments leading up to the club plan for this guy and clubs decision —myself included

What will be for Jordan will be and a hope for a good outcome

We have a season to contemplate—injuries to a few to also want
a good outcome and an indiscretion has taken centre stage

Roll one round one with the lead up free of bloody controversy and media who
will feed off it

Go Maggie’s

qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:11 am

Swoops post is spot on
Let's not forget the times we live in.
Swanny in his book stated he wouldnt have a survived in today's footy world with the level of scrutiny
I'm far from a tea totaller in fact I enjoy a glass of red wine each night with dinner and at times several beers followed by several scotches then some red wine or port to finish the night off or at the time the wife says I think youve had enough go to bed you drunken fool !!
Let me share a story.
I was born the son of a farmer. My father was a farmer and his father before him and his father before him. 4 generations had farmed the land my great grand father purchased.
I was ok at school not a scholar but got by with mostly B's with the odd A thrown in.
When I was in year 10 my father said you need knuckle down with your studies the future of farming isn't going to be here long term for you like it w for me.
You see we were what was known in those days as a golden circle grower. Meaning all our fruit went to te golden circle cannery.
We didn't get top end market prices but the trade off was we didn't get left with fruit we couldn't sell.
Those days were the days when Coles & Woolworths started to dominate the market place and the writing was on the wall that growers would have less control of there futures.
So I knuckled down the best I could and achieved a grade high enough to earn entry to university.
I choose the field of accounting as numbers made sense to me and the time table allowed me to still work a few days a week on the farm whilst studying.
When I graduated I was lucky enough to gain a position within large organisation that was close enough to my family farm that I could still get home on weekends and help,out.
Over the next few years the organisation I worked for afforded me the opportunity to expand my studies and gain further qualifications.
With this opoortunity I was made to agree to certain conditions in my employment contract one of which was I had to maintain a drivers license.
No biggie for me as I needed one to get home on weekends.
Fast forward into the mid 90's and my employer decided to get heavily involved in rugby league. For those who don't know rugby league it was called the super league wars.
I was hastily seconded to be a bean counter for the money being spent on signing players and clubs to what was to become the rebel competition.
The sums of money being thrown around was ground breaking numbers for the players.
Over the following weeks, months and years the sums grew and grew and players revenue became larger and larger.
But with this increased earnings employers (the club owners or boards) expected a higher level of professionalism and behaviour standards.
It become common place that contracts include skin fold ratios, behaviour standards, alcohol clauses and alike.
The point being is that as time has gone on the standards required to be a elite sportsman has become much higher and clubs now protect there brand above all else due to sponsorship and the money that flows in from media organisations that fund the increasing salaries.
I've seen many young players loss there livelihoods because of drink issues, behaviour issues, drug issues and issues involving the law.
Social media and the 24/7 news cycle now puts the focus squarely on the players and if they can't understand that then they need to learn it quickly.

Finally what none of us know is what's been kept in house or under raps that JDG may have done in the past. For all stories that make the news many many more don't
K 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:41 am

themonk wrote:

When EPL and US examples were raised, the point claimed was that those microcosms didn't care about drink driving (and perhaps by implication any other off-field activity). A little search suggests that's a highly questionable claim, possibly a debunked claim. Sticking to AFL thus seems fine.

What do people think the Hodge example shows exactly? Why stop there? Why don't people start talking about Gary Ablett senior in a drug-induced stupor? Does that really justify anything? If Hodge is to be raised, at least raise him along with Stevie J.

The alleged ingratitude may be an issue for some but not others. I think it's more the case that some think he is basically being mistreated by his employer for what he did in his own time. The reality is his particular job offers peculiar rewards and in return imposes some allegedly peculiar restrictions.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 75, 76, 77 ... 299, 300, 301  Next
Page 76 of 301   

Jump to: