Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Hero Karen Brown may be charged with murder .

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eunos 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 6:14 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Brown has officially been charged with murder today in Sydney.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 6:15 pm

Is that the only colour was charged with murder in Sydney?
Eunos 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 6:06 pm

Hmmmmmmmm.....is the bot attached to everything I post now?
LeonMcS Virgo

Only one says Buckley on command...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 7:45 pm

She got we she deserved, even though she had been attacked she shot the guy unnecessarily. Having said that, I would have had more sympathy for her if she had wounded him in the arm or leg. Its a sad situation, nevertheless.
commonwombat Sagittarius

commonwombat

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:32 pm

Nothing heroic at all about Karen Brown.

For those curious, the use of firearms by security guards is strictly regulated as to when and under what circumstances they may be used. Any use/carrying off-duty is illegal.

This woman appears to be semi-trained and to think that she has been allowed to carry a firearm is mind-boggling.

Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 1:03 pm

...and to think, if the guy hadn't of attacked her, he wouldn't be dead, and she wouldn't have been charged with murder.
Blanch Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 3:25 pm

Watch for the autonomy defence to come. The kiling was an out of body experience I'll bet you. Murder won't get through as there are too many extenuating circumstances....think about it. Here is a lady who was beaten up, with the scars and bruises to prove it. She shoots someone. Nobody can prove that at the moment she shot him that she was fully in control of her faculties. It's impossible to prove.

All WA Magpies join the Western Magpies now:
http://www.westernmagpies.com
(At least go and sign the guestbook).
Eunos 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 7:05 pm

Agreed Blanch. Manslaughter would bring a swift conviction, but Murder will not sit with any australian jury.
Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 7:12 pm

You reckon the cops deliberatly charged her with murder, ie. they reckon she should get off? Wouldn't suprise me.

That raises the question, if the DPP try to plea bargain with her, should Karen Brown say yes? Hmmmmm.
Eunos 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 7:44 pm

That was my point Joel, I think the charge has been made to give everyone some sense of justice.
commonwombat Sagittarius

commonwombat

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:32 pm

Without getting too far into subjudice, I will try and wade thru some of the speculation above.

There are certainly enough grounds to lay Murder charges as have been lodged. The question of making them stick is another matter.

The question of a plea bargain may certainly come into play. Diminished responsibility is a maybe but not a given. The shot wasNOT fired at the time of the said assault when self-defence would have had some credence. It took place clearly after the assault and can well be argued as being a calculated act. Her aim will be to convince that she was not conscious of her actions at that time.

It may be dropped down to a lower degree murder, manslaughter maybe. DPP may look at these options. Know for one thing, don't think the NSW cops will have played silly buggers here. There is some respect between them and the reputable security firms but cowboy operators such as employed Ms Brown are as popular as farts in a spacesuit.

For what little its worth, once more facts became available public opinion DID NOT run in her favour. Doing "a runner" and playing silly buggers with the cops did her no favours at all with anyone.

Blanch Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 10:24 am

commonwombat wrote:
Her aim will be to convince that she was not conscious of her actions at that time.

She only needs to state it. The prosecution need to prove otherwise which is impossible. I agree with almost everything you've said wombat, but I believe she holds the trump card while the charge sits at murder. It's just too hard to make it stick. If she testifies as not being in control of her thoughts/actions at the time nobody can disprove it. It may well have been calculated and fit the charge of "murder" but at the time of her calculation she can still claim to not have been in control. If the law is upheld in that regard - not guilty will be the verdict on murder....I mean with my limited knowledge I think it would not guilty. Maybe one of you legal eagles might be able to let me know if that scenario happens whether my statement would be true.

All WA Magpies join the Western Magpies now:
http://www.westernmagpies.com
(At least go and sign the guestbook).
commonwombat Sagittarius

commonwombat

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 4:32 pm

Interesting comments Blanch.

What you are saying has some credence. Brown has, however, by her own actions potentially damaged that line of defence thus giving the prosecution sufficient grounds to contest whether she was indeed "in control".

By avoiding police, yet being sufficiently "with it" to conduct media interviews is potentially very prejudicial to her defence; far more so than co-operating at the start. She was "at liberty" at this time. As such the trial judge may rule this admissable as Brown's state of mind is going to be more the subject of the trial than the facts of the offence.

Had she handed herself over to the police at the time, things would almost certainly have progressed as you suggest. As it is this can be open to legitimate scrutiny. The DPP may certainly consider a plea bargain and a down-grade in degree may well proceed. Brown walking is another matter.

CQ 

ambitious that

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 11:53 pm

yeh she wasnt conscious of her actions but managed to go out there 2 the carpark, find him in the car, get the gun out, SHOOT, not wildly, but she got him in the head, like i said b4, a relatively small small area if you apparently don't know what you're doing.

its not manslaughter if you PLAN it. which she did.
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 2:12 pm

Joel wrote:
...and to think, if the guy hadn't of attacked her, he wouldn't be dead, and she wouldn't have been charged with murder.
Ah, don't ya love the wisdom of hindsight for all the crims that regretted their actions, felt remorse for their victims and promised to never, ever do it again...? And what sort of cowardly pig assualts a woman? Send 'em back to God and let him sort out their mess. One less animal walking the streets.
CQ wrote:
yeh she wasnt conscious of her actions but .... its not manslaughter if you PLAN it. which she did.

Of course her defence will argue that she was in no state of mind to "PLAN/pre-meditate" such a murder. She was panicked and acted on instinct.
No hope of her getting done for murder. Unless she puts on a Collingwood jumper and sentencing goes to those fuckwits at the AFL tribunal.

Dyso
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3   

Jump to: