Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Gary Pert named as Melbourne’s new CEO

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
inxs88 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:41 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Typical classless reveal by “money bags Malthouse”. Forgets Pert gave him a $1,000,000 X 3 year Director of Coaching position that he narcissistically resigned from 5 minutes after the 2011 Grand Final.
K 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:25 pm

K wrote:
On the admin/board/president side, the club's history seems to be a roughly repeating story: political bloodshed, new promises, possibly some good things, overstaying their usefulness, clinging on to power and looking like the rabble they replaced, before the next round of bloodshed...

I don't think that's helpful to the club's hopes of sustained on-field success.
We do not have professionalism at the moment.

Mugwump wrote:
^ indeed, which is why the relative stability of a competent Board in the McGuire era has been a breath of fresh air, relative to history.

In the past, there is no way Buckley would have been reappointed last year because it would have become an administrative battleground between competing egos. Instead, there was enough institutional strength for
McGuire to tough it out, with some tweaks and some political manouvring.

K wrote:
I don't see convincing (or perhaps even unconvincing) evidence that is true...

Even the manner of Pert's hiring and firing/resignation shows chaos. ..

Mugwump wrote:
^ actually it shows the opposite...

I disagree. Just read the stuff earlier in this thread: http://magpies.net/nick/bb/viewtopic.php?p=1841972#1841972 . It does not suggest professionalism at all.

The one who comes out of all this looking good is Peter Murphy, who is not currently part of the administration.

[And the McGuire/Buckley discussion belongs in other threads again, so I'll save comment for them.]

Last edited by K on Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:34 pm; edited 2 times in total
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:28 pm

What does suggest professionalism ?
K 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:36 pm

Well, bot, I can give many examples of unprofessionalism if you want.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:37 pm

I will mention that to my , K.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:37 pm

Meh, that just sounds to me like the sometimes slightly messy way that organisations operate. I have worked for some very large and professional organisations, and the type of stuff described in your link is part of life. Stremski’s book describes an utterly different, and quite abnormal, level of political poison through the 1960s and 70s. While he may have been actor in it, there are plenty of corroborating stories, not least our wild on-field and financial swings in that period.
K 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:41 pm

Stremski was biased and became part of the problem for the other side (the next batch of supposed White Knights).* And that was in the era when that nonsense happened. The whole game was amateur then.

It does not make sense to keep comparing with bygone chaotic eras. Not even (real) political parties can do that. They can sweep into power on anti-government sentiment. They may even be able to win the next election, three years later, by still referring to the previous government. They cannot do that for 25 years!

As for finances, none of the then-struggling Victorian clubs since that era have been on the brink of bankruptcy. Not Melbourne, or the Hawks, or North, or Footscray... We're just in a different era, in which avoiding bankruptcy is really not a great achievement.

*From the same source:

"However, the board members didn't go quietly...

The following night, after some angst, the revolution was accepted. ... Stremski was the hold-out duing the twenty-four hours, needing the guarantee of a new position as the club's general manager, created following Graeme Allan's departure to Brisbane, in order to agree."
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:20 pm

Well, I made a comparison between the institutional stability of the McGuire years and the past. Most people would feel that this is a valid comparison within the same organisation engaged in the same essential activity.

You feel that the past does not matter because it is not comparable given the degree of change in context. That’s really a philosophical belief about the relevance of history to the present day, given the level of contextual change. We’re not likely to resolve that.

In any event, I think it is clear that McGuire’s solid position and the relative lack of political pest infestation helped us to avoid the amnesiac pitfall of sacking the coach (or indeed the President, as some fans wanted) last year. We thereby reinforced continuity, experience, and affiliation, and success has grown with it thus far.

That would not have happened at a less well-run club (see Carlton, inter alia).

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:54 pm

Mugwump wrote:
Well, I made a comparison between the institutional stability of the McGuire years and the past. Most people would feel that this is a valid comparison within the same organisation engaged in the same essential activity.

You feel that the past does not matter because it is not comparable given the degree of change in context. That’s really a philosophical belief about the relevance of history to the present day, given the level of contextual change. We’re not likely to resolve that.

In any event, I think it is clear that McGuire’s solid position and the relative lack of political pest infestation helped us to avoid the amnesiac pitfall of sacking the coach (or indeed the President, as some fans wanted) last year. We thereby reinforced continuity, experience, and affiliation, and success has grown with it thus far.

That would not have happened at a less well-run club (see Carlton, inter alia).

Correct weight Mugwump.
Member 7167 Leo

"What Good Fortune For Governments That The People Do Not Think" - Adolf Hitler.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:45 pm

From what I have been told Pert was a micro manager. If that is the case it will set Melbourne back further. It is bad for moral, it does not get the best out of the staff and good, free thinking, imagative and confident staff have a tendency to walk.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:06 pm

I was very reliably informed that Pert's exit was a breath of fresh air through the whole club.
K 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:10 pm

Would you agree then, since your reliable information matches what has been publicly reported, that his entrance was a mistake?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3   

Jump to: