Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Supplemental Selection Period - how it works & invitees

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
inxs88 

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2023 7:48 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Ranking our likely selections:

1. Sofranidis: 194cm and perfect backup for Dean, Murphy and Co. Won't be surprised if he is the new Tom Stewart Smile No pressure.
2. Eyre: Think Hine rated him during his draft year and with it being Covid affected, maybe there is dormant talent that simply needs more time.
3. Sullivan: edges out Bytel based on durability, ball magnet pedigree and consistency.
4. Bytel: Offer him a VFL role and maybe mid-season pickup.
5. Husthwaite: strong-armed the club for a try-out or threatened to leave. Not needed.
6. Teakle: simply an awful footballer. If in doubt, go to any Port Adelaide fan site.

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:52 pm

inxs88 wrote:
6. Teakle: simply an awful footballer. If in doubt, go to any Port Adelaide fan site.

They said the Same Thing about Frampton Wink

warburton lad 

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2023 6:25 am

[quote="inxs88"]Ranking our likely selections:

1. Sofranidis: 194cm and perfect backup for Dean, Murphy and Co. Won't be surprised if he is the new Tom Stewart Smile No pressure.
2. Eyre: Think Hine rated him during his draft year and with it being Covid affected, maybe there is dormant talent that simply needs more time.
3. Sullivan: edges out Bytel based on durability, ball magnet pedigree and consistency.

I think these are very fair summations of these players.

Sofronidis seems a 'natural' footballer- has good height and very good mobility- can play on walls and smalls

Eyre, in my view, is one of those taller players (198cms) who takes a while to find his feet- he was a tall on-baller then had a growth spurt. He is a raking kick and a solid mark- may be a third tall back or forward in time.

Sullivan- I agree with the commentary that if he was any good, why didn't the Western Bulldogs pick him up?? Perhaps they were going younger in their list profile?? Sam Mitchell , Michael Barlow and Brody Mihocek are just three players who were constantly overlooked by clubs... Could Sullivan be another one of these??

I have total trust in our recruiters, Wright and the football department to get this right...

Floreat Pica.

Rick Taurus

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2023 7:11 am

Teakle reminds me of Darcy Cameron. And Cameron is far from a premier ruckman. If he was to be selected I wouldn’t at all be surprised if Teakle overtook him at some stage through the year, especially if he can be a more regular goal kicker.

With very little coverage from the club regarding preseason training, it’s hard to gauge how all the midfielders trialling are stacking up. There is someone on instagram who has been posting a heap of videos from Vic Park, but it’s difficult to confirm who the players are. I think Sullivan has been wearing #22 and Eyre #12.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2023 9:39 am

inxs88 wrote:

1. Sofranidis: 194cm and perfect backup for Dean, Murphy and Co. Won't be surprised if he is the new Tom Stewart Smile No pressure. .

Supposedly been impressive on the track too. You would also argue he has the most upside because he has come through the “ least credentialed “ pathway compared to the others. It would be a good story if he made the cut.
lazzadesilva Virgo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2023 1:48 pm

warburton lad wrote:
Sullivan: edges out Bytel based on durability, ball magnet pedigree and consistency.
Sullivan- I agree with the commentary that if he was any good, why didn't the Western Bulldogs pick him up?? Perhaps they were going younger in their list profile?? Sam Mitchell , Michael Barlow and Brody Mihocek are just three players who were constantly overlooked by clubs... Could Sullivan be another one of these?? .

From what I have heard, the Bulldogs had quite a few players who played the inside mid position and Sullivan was just excess to their needs at the time. Great reviews of his ability as a VFL player but the question remains whether he can produce this form at AFL level. Time will tell but I hope he’ll be good.

Take_a_Screamer Leo

.....No.40...Ash Johnson...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2023 5:50 pm

Who Is Lachie Sullivan? | A Chat With The Salty Bulldog
Lachie Sullivan is the SIXTH player to by vying for an SSP spot but who is he?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48iYjGaacwI&t=10s

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
Rick Taurus

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2023 7:33 pm

Although he’s signed on for our VFL side, Ned Long (delisted Hawk) is also training with the seniors. Not officially signed on as a potential SSP.

194cm/90 odd kg midfielder.
Charlie Oneeye Scorpio

charlie oneeye

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2023 8:26 am

inxs88 wrote:

4. Bytel: Offer him a VFL role and maybe mid-season pickup.

5. Husthwaite: strong-armed the club for a try-out or threatened to leave. Not needed.

Sofranidis
Seems a good Howe replacement... In the lower leagues, his ability makes up for a thin body.. could be a rag doll in the AFL playing against the top end. But looks like a pick to me.

Eyre
Age wise, on the cusp of taking another step. Up to the club to determine.

Teakle
Cameron 28. Steene,'Begg', 'Frampton', Cox 2 more year contract.
If he is a borderline type.? Do we need him as a stop gap? Or not at all.

Husthwaite Bytel Sullivan
I love Hustwaithe, but along with the other 2, they would be up against Elite Speed is a concern.

The article link above mentions Carlton's Michael Gibbons... I think we need to reflect on that.. Gibbons was an accomplished player in the VFL, and a good country type footy player in the AFL.

Whatever we say, the coaches are having a close look. 'Try before you buy'.
David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2023 8:30 am

It’s an interesting recruiting model. There’s rarely been opportunity for clubs in the past to do anywhere near this much close observation of a draft/trade prospect (even with the intense degree of scouting that goes on nowadays). At least we can feel pretty assured the club will be making an informed decision.
warburton lad 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2023 2:05 pm

I think the Pies will go with Sofronidis and Eyre for two of the spots...

Both can play back and Eyre is a good height to be a tall forward target if he develops further; he is a thumping kick.

Ned Long (194cms and 94kgs) is an interesting prospect. His Hawthorn bio stated that he has excellent stamina and was a midfielder/forward. He is only 20 years of age and, like Josh Eyre, can be thrown forward. Perhaps Long can be a highly mobile third tall in our forward line??

I trust our recruiters/coaches to make the best call for our current and future needs...Would be lovely if one of our 'late' recruits could become a Premiership player in his first year like Markov.

Floreat Pica

Pebbles Rocks 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2023 4:40 pm

We are justified in being really optimistic about how at least one of this crop will turn out. Hine's history of finding quality in rookies is exceptional.

With McStay going down we now have 4 spots available. We will probably defer one of them to the mid season draft.
This means we could take three. My tip would be Sofranidis, Eyre and Sullivan. If Mitchell goes down, we will need a pure grunt player to fill the breach now that Adams is gone. He fits the bill..

CPtechno12 

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2023 2:33 pm

I would be surprised if Sam Sofronidis makes it. Not sure there is enough good stuff on tape from him so far. He might be really good at chopping off kicks with uncontested marks, but it looks really easy to move him under the ball. So if it were up to me I would pass, but Fly and co might see it differently.

I would take Eyre as a defender primarily.
Teakle would be the better ruck option over Steene and Begg, but would he jump Frampton as a backup to Cox and Cameron?
It might depend on the midfielders.
inxs88 

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2023 2:18 pm

Pebbles Rocks wrote:
This means we could take three. My tip would be Sofranidis, Eyre and Sullivan. If Mitchell goes down, we will need a pure grunt player to fill the breach now that Adams is gone. He fits the bill..

Agreed on your three. They fit the list gaps we have in 2024. Ned Long and Hustwaite are signed for the VFL side next year so there best chance and suitability to us is Mid-year draft.

Rick Taurus

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 6:10 pm

Is anyone aware when the SSP period ends and lists need to be finalised?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9   

Jump to: