Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Essendon players guilty! Bans til November 2016!

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Other AFL

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:16 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel for the players. This is shocking news for them. They have been through a hell of a lot & should not be in this position

Compare the attitude of the NRL club who accepted responsibility took some short term pain.

Essendon's management protected the brand & certain individuals at the players expense.

Hird is looking pathetic right now. To think he was given a million dollars to go away.

John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:22 am

MightyMagpie wrote:
The Average Tourist wrote:
My question is why not two years

Delays not attributable to the players. Details in decision. Some delays players fault, others not.

backdated to 31 march 2015. they essentially got two year bans.

69 years a MAGPIE Libra

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:23 am

The players did get a 2 year ban TAT but some already served so it is reduced to all of the 2016 season. Be interesting to see if they pursue appeals or the players take legal action. The Tribunal indicated that the players were complicit and not due any reduction under the cooperation umbrella. That might impact heavily on any action by the players against the club or League. Also be interesting to see if any players want out at the end of the year. The vultures might be circling.
droversdog65 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:24 am

watt price tully wrote:
I feel for the players. This is shocking news for them. They have been through a hell of a lot & should not be in this position

Compare the attitude of the NRL club who accepted responsibility took some short term pain.

Essendon's management protected the brand & certain individuals at the players expense.

Hird is looking pathetic right now. To think he was given a million dollars to go away.

Hird may have been given a golden parachute but the legal sharks are circling. I doubt if he will have any of it left by the time they shred him.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:25 am

John Wren wrote:
[quote="MightyMagpie"][quote="The Average Tourist"]My question is why not two years[/quote]

Delays not attributable to the players. Details in decision. Some delays players fault, others not.[/quote]

Some may delays players fault others not, but not all.
MightyMagpie 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:27 am

John Wren wrote:
MightyMagpie wrote:

Delays not attributable to the players. Details in decision. Some delays players fault, others not.

No they didn't essentially get two year bans - they played in 2015!

The backdating effectively reduces the ban to around 1 year plus they then get credit for provisional suspension time served (even though they could train during offseason provisional suspension).

The "form" is 2 years (backdated) less time served, the "substance" is about 1 year less time served.

David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:30 am

Sucks for those latter players, too, at least some of whom I presume will be playing country football and have to take the year off.
BEAMER09 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:35 am

Born to Pie wrote:
I wonder how Trent Cotchin and Sam Mitchell feel?

Excited I would've thought.

Also, apparently all players met at a secret location in the city not an injection house by any chance?

ANNODAM Gemini

Rebel Heart Tour - The Forum, Los Angeles 27/10/2015.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:37 am

I am on a fkn cruise ship in the Pacific with no internet access & when I heard this today I have jumped on the ships pc to write this:

SUFFER ESSENDON YOU DUMB BASTARDS!

N.Y METS, N.Y GIANTS, PENRITH PANTHERS & HOBART HURRICANES FAN.

WE ALL LOOK GOOD AT TRAINING, IT'S THE MATCHES THAT COUNT!
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:37 am

MightyMagpie wrote:
John Wren wrote:
MightyMagpie wrote:

The backdating effectively reduces the ban to around 1 year plus they then get credit for provisional suspension time served (even though they could train during offseason provisional suspension).

The "form" is 2 years (backdated) less time served, the "substance" is about 1 year less time served.

for most, the suspensions effective from 14 november 2014 to 13 november 2016. exceptions for alwyn davey and leroy jetta whose suspensions expire on 15 feb 2017.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:39 am

Will be interesting to see what happens to those players who've left the AFL and have playing/coaching roles in local or country leagues. If the suspension applies to all levels of sport, I smell some lawsuits for lost income and damages coming Essendons way.

Oh, and sucked in St Kilda. Jake Carlisle, the gift that keeps giving. Laughing

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:43 am

Oops. Too much data.
MightyMagpie 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:47 am

John Wren wrote:
MightyMagpie wrote:
John Wren wrote:
MightyMagpie wrote:

for most, the suspensions effective from 14 november 2014 to 13 november 2016. exceptions for alwyn davey and leroy jetta whose suspensions expire on 15 feb 2017.

I think we are in agreement - they'll miss one season!

I think Watson and Fletcher got less time served because of the International Rules. I'm still looking into how they calculated that as it looks as though they may have allowed them to temporarily suspend their provisional suspensions to play rather than them "competing" wiping any previous time served. If that is so, then it is farcical.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:49 am

Should have read the fine print on the waivers, or questioned why they were needed, or gone home to mum or dad, or sought the advice of a lawyer, or the AFL, OR........ The list goes on,

I feel for the younger players who would have bowed to peer pressure, but not the older guys. It's drummed into them. Check check and check again.

Not one senior player actively questioned the sudden need for all those injections, the secrecy, the walks across the road, veterans who had played for years, all of a sudden the routine changes so drastically, and you say nothing?

I call bullshit. They tried to cheat, just cos it didn't work they don't get away with it. Personal responsibility. There just ain't enough of it these days.

Daicos Mullets 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:52 am

MightyMagpie wrote:
John Wren wrote:
MightyMagpie wrote:
John Wren wrote:
MightyMagpie wrote:

I think we are in agreement - they'll miss one season!

I think Watson and Fletcher got less time served because of the International Rules. I'm still looking into how they calculated that as it looks as though they may have allowed them to temporarily suspend their provisional suspensions to play rather than them "competing" wiping any previous time served. If that is so, then it is farcical.

I think in the judgement the backdating allowed for significant delays in the process that were beyond the players' control.

3RRR

The Pies are back at Vic Park!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Other AFL All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 4 of 15   

Jump to: