Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Operation: LYNCHPIN (get it...?)

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 8:23 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been reported frequently, if Lynch moves it will be for premiership opportunity to a club where he can be a contributor, not a saviour.

That puts us 3rd in line behind Richmond and Hawthorn at present.

Bleedblackanwhite 

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 8:34 pm

TBH I’d rather go for more key defensive type players that can play both ends of the park.
That’s where the games headed, you only need to look at the type of players of today and the good sides have these players that can fill multiple rolls when needed.
I rate Lynch don’t get me wrong but I don’t think we need him.

We just need Moore injury free and he could be Lynch clone anyway.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 8:42 pm

There's some good talls in the draft this year, the question is what kind of tall you go for?

do we go the 2m tall forward who can pinch hit ruck or the 194-197 tall forward who can pinch hit midfield? The question isn't just height related but agility and endurance also

doriswilgus 

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 8:45 pm

stui magpie wrote:
It's been reported frequently, if Lynch moves it will be for premiership opportunity to a club where he can be a contributor, not a saviour.

That puts us 3rd in line behind Richmond and Hawthorn at present.

Are Hawthorn really a premiership contender though?They've looked very ordinary in recent weeks.
themonk 

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 8:48 pm

Have faith people, Lynch & Moore will be in our next premiership team.
Bleedblackanwhite 

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 8:58 pm

themonk wrote:

As long as it doesn’t cost us a potential star in the draft and to much $$.

We have some potential players that are gonna be A graders if not already and we need to be able to keep them also.

piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 9:35 pm

Bleedblackanwhite wrote:
themonk wrote:

As long as it doesn’t cost us a potential star in the draft and to much $$.

We have some potential players that are gonna be A graders if not already and we need to be able to keep them also.

I can't shake the feeling that one or two older players coming out of contract might be moved on or delisted by necessity, rather than performance...

MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:39 am

Quote:
Collingwood would have to move on multiple players to find the salary cap room for Tom Lynch

JON RALPH, Herald Sun
May 31, 2018 9:40pm

COLLINGWOOD would have to move on multiple players to find the salary cap room if Tom Lynch wanted to join the Magpies.

Restricted free agent Lynch will this week return for Gold Coast after a week in Melbourne spending time with family.

His manager Robbie D’Orazio told the Herald Sun that Lynch had not met Melbourne clubs in that time and would not do so in the future.

Collingwood chief executive Mark Anderson said last weekend the Pies were up against the salary cap this year and next with little wriggle room.

It means Collingwood would need to move on some of the nearly 20 players it still has out of contract if Lynch picked them as his destination of choice.

He is expected to want $1 million a year to move south, although many close to him are adamant he will not ask for crazy figures near $1.5 million a year.

Darcy Moore has been linked to Sydney and Jordan De Goey has seven clubs interested but both have told Collingwood they are keen to stay.

Alex Fasolo and Jamie Elliott will both wait until they are back into the senior team to start contract negotiations.

Elliott, 25, has played 17 of the past 54 games at Collingwood and at 25 would ideally have been in the form to win the most lucrative contract of his career.

Fasolo is well down the forward line pecking order and as a free agent would not only clear cap space but get the Pies a compensation pick if the left for another club.

Matt Scharenberg and Josh Thomas are in early talks after outstanding seasons so far, set to be rewarded for career-best seasons.

Anderson said before last week’s win over the Western Bulldogs the club’s cap space was limited.

“Like all clubs you are right near the capacity of 100 per cent. Most clubs are in that position so we are no different to that,’’ he said.

“Your list management is that skill of managing that right across the next few weeks and ensuring you are keeping the right players and working through that.”

Tyson Goldsack, Kale Kirby, Will Hoskin-Elliott, Tom Langdon, Tim Broomhead, Lynden Dunn, Josh Daicos and James Aish are also out of contract.

Jarryd Blair, Levi Greenwood, Callum Brown, Adam Oxley, Josh Smith and Sam McLarty round out that list.

Lynch is yet to make an official decision and is in no rush despite coach Stuart Dew’s request to know sooner than later this week.

“Tom is heavily invested in the footy club. We’d love to know as soon as possible, for all parties involved. Obviously that’d be a great scenario and we’d love him to stay,” he told AFL360 on Wednesday.

But if Gold Coast doesn’t make the finals he has five weeks to meet clubs and consider his options before the free agency period.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl/teams/collingwood/collingwood-would-have-to-move-on-multiple-players-to-find-the-salary-cap-room-for-tom-lynch/news-story/63fee7f29e086518be9d03fb00c9ed80

WhyPhilWhy? 

WhyPhilWhy?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:27 am

Shocked
Quote:
Fasolo is well down the forward line pecking order and as a free agent would not only clear cap space but get the Pies a compensation pick if the left for another club.
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:37 am

The above doesn't look good for our chances of getting Lynch. The only ones I would be expecting to go from the above list are Fasolo, Goldsack, Broomhead, Kirby and Oxley. All the other players are needed I think. That won't give us enough salary room. I would be quickly getting the signatures of Moore and De Goey. Go to this year's national draft. Draft Craig Kelly's son under f/s. Look at a player like King who did his ACL and might drop back to mid teens in the drafting order. Keep developing McLarty, Max Lynch and Magden to push up our stocks of key position players. Oh, and make sure we open up a rookie spot for Marty Hore at the end of the year.
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:43 am

He's 27 next year.
Wants too much money, over rated IMO, better players to throw money at already on our list.
Would rather go after some young talent via the draft, as BIFC says^.

mattdally 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:57 am

Simple equation -

In: Lynch, multiple draft picks
Out: Moore, Fasolo, Blair, Reid, Goldsack, Broomhead, Smith

This will free up cap space and allow us to land big Tom.
brett71 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:58 pm

We do not have to give up much. A back ended 5 year contract and it is done. 500K a year for the first 2. 1.33m for each of the last 3. Plenty of cap space by then.
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:18 am

mattdally wrote:
Simple equation -

Add Oxley too perhaps. Goldsack and Broomhead may have to be delisted [if out of contract] and re-drafted as rookies. Goldy has one more year, and Tim can only really blame himself for his injury. If he retires, then i'd expect he'd get a whopping compo payout, which is not salary cap related.

Hope Moore isn't collateral damage though...

brett71 wrote:
We do not have to give up much.. Plenty of cap space by then.

Not convinced it is that easy... if some of our younger players maintain their rate of improvement, and God forbid actually lead us to the finals again in the next year or two, their managers are going to stick their hands out for an increase on the players behalf I'd imagine?

Good problem to have though....

Geek 

geek

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:33 am

piedys wrote:
mattdally wrote:
Simple equation -

Add Oxley too perhaps. Goldsack and Broomhead may have to be delisted [if out of contract] and re-drafted as rookies. Goldy has one more year, and Tim can only really blame himself for his injury. If he retires, then i'd expect he'd get a whopping compo payout, which is not salary cap related.

Hope Moore isn't collateral damage though...

brett71 wrote:
We do not have to give up much.. Plenty of cap space by then.

Not convinced it is that easy... if some of our younger players maintain their rate of improvement, and God forbid actually lead us to the finals again in the next year or two, their managers are going to stick their hands out for an increase on the players behalf I'd imagine?

Good problem to have though....

Wells's contract finishes in a year and Mayne's finishes in 2. There's a million right there or at least so goes the argument.

I tend to agree with the idea that he will be too expensive for us though. A great talent and leader and so on but on the sort of coin that could ruin a list. Even with Mayne and Wells off the list, we still need another $500k+ to pay Lynch. It's extortionate.

Remember that we need to have a certain number of players on the roster. So for every expensive player we have, we need 1 or more on minimum wage to take a list spot as cheaply as possible (think Blair, Oxley, Simon Buckley types. I know how popular they are around here).

Here's a thought for you:

Pendlebury (750k), Treloar (800k), Sidebottom (600k), Grundy (675), Elliott (500k), Lynch (1,500k). The numbers in brackets are estimated contracts, except for Treloar and Grundy which were quoted by the papers. Nearly 5 million there and that's probably being conservative. 6 overlapping long term contracts means that front or back loading doesn't have the effect you'd hope. The strategy is subject to diminishing returns

Now... You must have 42 players so try to fit another 36 players on your list for 8 million or less. To give you an idea, since you've given 5 mil to just 6 players (Carlton style) you will now be paying an average of about 225k per year to each remaining player.

OK... Pay these guys or lose them...

Howe
Hoskin-Elliott
Adams
Crisp
Langdon
Fas (?)

And in a couple of years' time...

de Goey
Stevenson
Scharenberg
Moore
Maynard
Phillips
Aish
Murray

That's another 14 players there for 20 in total. Even in the extremely unlikely event that you can get all them in for the league average of 380k (2019 average payment), that's another $5.3 mil there for $10 and a bit million in total already spent.

Now while nobody is really likely to offer de Goey 800k yet like they were saying last week he could easily cost us 600k soon enough and Stevo could be even better. Even Tommy Phillips has fixed up his kicking, found a right foot and is averaging 27 stats and nearly a goal a game from the midfield. For a third year player, that is elite and soon he will demand to be paid accordingly. That block of 2nd tier players could cost us 6 mil or more soon enough and our first 20 players will therefore cost $11 million.

So if that's the case you are looking at 22 list spots to fill and a bit over 2 million dollars left in your cap. That's 22 players (and a minimum of 2 in your starting 22) of players on minimum wage. Did you get that? Even with no injuries, you will be guaranteed to have 2 Oxley/Blair types or worse in your starting 22 each and every week. And when you look to the depth, it will be Hobbits as far as the eye can see. Take our recent average of 6 starting 22 players missing each week and you are looking at 8 little Frodos running around, trying to get us into the 8.

What about speculatives like the Brown boys, the Daicos boys, McLarty and Murphy? Reckon JT will stick around for less than 200k? Cox is pretty useful for us and would cost more already. I reckon you'd be kissing them all good bye.

Note also that I'm assuming that Dunn, Varcoe, Reid, Greenwood, Sack and Broomhead will have retired. I haven't even considered their contracts and we would still be in the shit. This pretty much puts to bed the idea that we can cut them and Lynch will be somehow affordable. I also haven't counted Wells or Mayne so we can forget that little chestnut about them being liable for us not being able to afford Lynch as well.

We are already spending huge on stars. We can't just add someone on the combined incomes of Pendles and Treloar and think it is not going to screw the list payments somehow. If we compensate by tinkering around with the cheap end of the list, it will cost us all of our depth and then some. You need 30 decent players to win a flag. We will have 20.

Therefore, getting Lynch will cost us players. Plural. Probably good ones. We might not be able to choose which ones as they might just get a better deal from some club that's not so bent over by their full forward's contract. It won't just be players on the periphery either. The maths above demands that we lose some quality AND depth. All of the depth perhaps. Sure, we replace that with a quality tall forward general but we will also have to increase our deadwood quota. To the point where it unacceptably infects our 22, even if by some miracle our medical fortunes turn around.

Maybe we can just let the depth we have go and hit up the late part of the draft. That's the usual argument by this stage. Afterall, Hine has picked up some serious value back there (Langdon, Phillips, Goldsack) but then you know..... Goodyear, Blight, any number of others.... It's a bit like buying up a bunch of scratchies and trying to call it an investment strategy. "Hey ya gotta win sometime, right?"

And the moment one of those picks turns out alright, he will ask for a raise and we will have to sack him anyway. Can't afford them to be any good.

You know... I still enjoy watching the 2010 replay. And what stands out is just how shit St Kilda's bottom 6 really was. Peake. Dawson. Gwilt. It cost them the flag. Just about every team in the league has a bottom 6. Let's not allow ours to become a bottom 7 or 8. Let's make our bottom 6 better than other teams'. 5 million bucks to just 6 players is called f****ing up our list something fierce. In a world where we must fill a certain number of spots for a certain number of dollars, spending that much on so few actually invites mediocrity.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Page 5 of 30   

Jump to: