Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Liberal leadership declared vacant.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:13 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

This is eery...Shocked

48-35.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:24 pm

Here's an opinion piece about the problem at the core of this present dirty little power-struggle.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2018/aug/22/whats-the-point-of-the-liberal-party-if-it-just-panders-to-an-ever-narrowing-base

Enjoy.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:12 pm

So that's the 3rd opinion piece, all from different perspectives.

We seem to be definitely heading toward some kind of schism where the actual far right and left are moving further away from centre and the vast majority at various points in the middle cop the fallout.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:15 pm

Interesting

https://www.theage.com.au/politics/federal/here-are-the-differences-between-turnbull-and-dutton-supporters-20180822-p4zz0b.html

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:31 pm

As you say, interesting but I don’t get the impression that there’s any policy basis for this. The marginals want to keep their seats and it looks like Abbott et al merely want to install Dutton with a view to taking the spot when he stuffs up and, in the short-term, to get some revenge against Malcolm. Tony hasn’t suddenly given up his desire to be PM - if he had, he would have left Parliament and taken an actual job somewhere.
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:51 pm

http://www.theunshackled.net/rundown/breaking-petition-calling-for-liberal-partyroom-meeting-circulating/

On again apparently
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:55 pm

^

If he really loved the party as he professed, he would have retired at the last election. Instead, he sat on the back benches doing everything he said he wouldn't do while drawing a salary. Just like KRudd did.

The key difference is, KRudd was actually popular with the public, so Labor put him back in as PM expecting to lose and hoping he'd minimise the losses. Abbott is not popular personally, never has been (although he has a low bar to beat in Shorten) so they'd be certifiable to put him in charge again.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:57 pm

Or not. It’s difficult to say. You could have a look at The Age’s live blog, if it doesn’t offend your religious sensibilities to do so. They seem to have reporters who are out and about trying to track down what’s actually happening and work out who is or may be shifting sides.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:59 pm

stui magpie wrote:
^

If he really loved the party as he professed, he would have retired at the last election. Instead, he sat on the back benches doing everything he said he wouldn't do while drawing a salary. Just like KRudd did.

The key difference is, KRudd was actually popular with the public, so Labor put him back in as PM expecting to lose and hoping he'd minimise the losses. Abbott is not popular personally, never has been (although he has a low bar to beat in Shorten) so they'd be certifiable to put him in charge again.

The margin of unelectability separating Abbott and Dutton isn’t great, though, I’d have thought? It looks like electoral suicide to me, either way.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:05 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
^

The margin of unelectability separating Abbott and Dutton isn’t great, though, I’d have thought? It looks like electoral suicide to me, either way.

I'm very very slowly coming around on Dutton, he's not what I thought, but yeah. He's less unelectable than Abbott, the question is, is he less unelectable than Shorten?

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:11 pm

A letter requesting a party room meeting is being circulated among Liberal MPs, but the party whip's office says there is no meeting scheduled for tonight.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-08-22/liberal-party-leadership-dramas-august-22/10150662

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:19 pm

Stui, it probably depends a little upon whether or not First Dog On The Moon’s cartoons - repeatedly depicting him with a cabbage for a head - stick. I think it’s a little unfair - I’ve come across cabbages you might have a reasonable conversation with - but I accept that my position on these things, preferring as I do that the country not have a PM with an IQ more than 2 standard deviations below the mean, will be “elitist” and “sneering” to many on here, like everything else I post.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:31 pm

^

fairy Nuff P4S. I don't read the Guardian as a rule, I did try for a while, but found it bad for my digestion. FWIW, typical of The Guardian, he's generally known as potato head, not cabbage head. I'm sure there's similarities somewhere.

Turnbull is possibly the most intelligent PM we've had in living memory, that hasn't served him well so far

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:41 pm

For mine a federal election should be automatically triggered if political parties wish to remove the Prime Minister of this country.

Time to stop this nonsense.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:43 pm

stui magpie wrote:
^

fairy Nuff P4S. I don't read the Guardian as a rule, I did try for a while, but found it bad for my digestion. FWIW, typical of The Guardian, he's generally known as potato head, not cabbage head. I'm sure there's similarities somewhere.

Turnbull is possibly the most intelligent PM we've had in living memory, that hasn't served him well so far

I accept that. Turnbull’s political instincts (including, quite possibly, deciding which Party to join) don’t seem to be too flash. It’s obviously not sufficient for a successful PM to be able to read and write and count but I think it’s a reasonable thing to expect as a minimum requirement, whatever the political complexion of the incumbent. It isn’t like the Liberal Party is stuck to find supporters of reasonable intelligence. I understand that one might have to lower one’s expectations to “mouth-breathing troll” in order to enable a proper rabid anti-immigrationist to take the job under their own name and meet the expected standard but I’m happy to leave that particular anomaly for when it becomes relevant.

Basically, though, if we wouldn’t let a particular candidate run a public organisation of any significance, why would we want them to run our country? Is there some reason we should accept the Fish That John West Rejects?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Page 5 of 21   

Jump to: