Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Pre Match. Pies v. Bulldogs - All comments please.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 5:56 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

We've lost the last 5 against them but they've all been competitive losses.

The Dogs however are fielding the youngest side in the competition at present and were 2 years younger on average than our own last round.

I'm expecting a win and would be bitterly disappointed if we can't against this current Bulldogs team.

Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 6:09 pm

Agree that a winning team should have minimal changes. Fas is the only forced change. However, rather than replacing him with the obvious choice of Crocker, I would instead think strongly about bringing in another big bodied midfielder. This would bolster the midfield, which has at times struggled for centre clearances, and simultaneously allow another midfielder to rotate through the forward line and create added unpredictablity. Wells could spend even more time forward under this scenario as well.
I disagree totally with all those who have canvassed dropping Josh Thomas or Travis Varcoe.

BazBoy 

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 6:19 pm

Faz needs a replacement and I’m of the same mind —one of our big body boys

Wells and JDG hovering around goal is great and I thought Wells look fresh and enjoying his role and that opportunist,s steal when ball fell from pack
for a goal—-that’s experience superb

A big mid could as some one said release a smaller mid to give crumming boys a chop out

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 6:48 pm

Fasolo came into the side as another marking target up forward so I suspect it'll be Reid returning from injury, Crocker or McLarty who replaces him.

Sier could come in for Mayne which would allow Sidebottom, Treloar and Pendlebury to spend more time forward.

Personally I don't like both Mayne and Crocker in the one side.

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 7:52 pm

I actually thought Mayne was pretty good, did some great little things, we had worse than him out there, hes getting better each week, I reckon. ! Some are too harsh on him here ! Why this match is at Etihad is a joke, even a Bulldogs fan told me its pretty weird for us. Gonna be a tough game, Dogs on rebound, but I reckon we can wear em down. !

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 8:02 pm

Mayne certainly wasn’t the worst —I admit I was not a fan for him but gee
he may not be the marquee play we would like works as hard as anyone in
the 22 —for mine rather have a bloke following the role given all the time
with eyes on him

Until a McLarty or a Sier get in and dislodge him I’ll back him in

dalyc Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 9:19 pm

BazBoy wrote:
There are players who chase and don’t give up —there are as well chase so far then believe they have done well and decelerate

Varcoe fits the “don’t give up “

Stevo was chasing a player in a game and the look on his face fierce

The veins in his neck were sticking out

He’s a big hearted kid.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 9:23 pm

When was this exactly?
Brown26 

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 10:06 pm

I wouldn't make too many changes. We've got - what - 8 or 10 on our injury list? We're talking about bringing in kids to debut, not bringing back experienced campaigners and I think making too many inexperienced changes is not wise.

I would bring back Reid if he's fit - we're better and Cox is markedly better if he's in. I would also like to see some of Sier cause I think, like others, he could be a very good player and it seems like it's only when not if he makes his debut. I think that addresses our two issues (key forward and clearances) as best we can with our current injury list.

I would leave Cox in, he's a competitive beast and will respond to some constructive criticism from the coaching staff this week I think. Plus, who will the dogs play on him? I suspect he'll get a handful of touches, maybe a mark or two but be instrumental in his tap ons and body work ala rounds 2 - 5 and that will be worth his spot. I'd ask Pendles or Sidey to match the Bont at stoppages (like he did to Sloane against the Crows) and see if we can't curtail him. When he goes forwards he might even get Sharenburg, depending how settled they are down back.

Overall I would hope if we concentrate on our game and our strenghts we should win easily. Pies by plenty running away Smile

- Ben
David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 12:23 am

A lot of variation in suggestions of ins and outs this week. Perhaps it’s worth going through last week’s team (minus Fasolo) and working out where everyone sits:

Walk-up selections (these guys play every week if they’re fit):
1. De Goey
2. Dunn
3. Grundy
4. Hoskin-Elliott
5. Howe
6. Pendlebury
7. Scharenberg
8. Sidebottom
9. Treloar
10. Varcoe
11. Wells

In good form or playing an essential role right now:
12. Crisp
13. Langdon
14. Phillips
15. Stephenson

Perhaps at risk (your mileage might vary):
16. Adams
17. Appleby
18. Cox
19. Mayne
20. Murray
21. Thomas

I think you could arguably move any or all of Adams, Cox, Mayne and Thomas to the list above – I would be surprised if any of them were dropped, at least this week anyhow. So, barring any fitness issues, I think it’s really the two first-season defenders who are most at risk of losing their spots right now, and I think Murray is the one who most needs a spell.

So, in: Reid, Murphy; out: Fasolo (inj.), Murray, I reckon. Would be great to see some of the other new guys get a chance soon, but I think it’s probably best to stick with a settled side for the time being.

qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 5:46 am

With Faz certain to miss Reid would be first cab off the rank to come back in. Our structure looked better with him drawing tall defenders away from Cox.
Only other change for mind is debuting Seir. From reports provided by magpiebat and P4S he's not knocking on the door but kicking it off the hinges.
Time to bring th big body in give him a taste.
Appleby looks tired and might need a couple games back in the magoo's he's done well but sometimes they need that revitalisation
The Bulldogs game is built around McRae and Bont and there run
Shut down McRae at the stoppages and limit Bont and we've gone a long way to winning the game.
When Bont goes forward he likes to be isolated deep 1-1 and his first 6 or so steps are quite kick so we need to play Howe on him as he's closing speed and ability to jump and spoil impacts Bont
The remainder of there forward line isn't outstanding more workman like. Most of there goals come from midfield runners and out the back goals. Varcoe could easily replace Appleby in defence for this game as they don't have talls.
At the stoppages send Seir to Bont or McRae tell him to wear them like a glove
We need to take advantage of Grundy's hit outs and stop other sides from sharking them. Win the clearances win the match for mine.
In our forward line stand Cox in the goal square and JDG Wells or Stephenson at his feet. Get Reid WHE to lead out and create space in front of Cox and JDG they can kick or set up shots on goal
Bulldogs have been leaking goals all season so we should exploit there weakened defence
In. Reid. Sier
Out. Faz. Appleby
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 7:52 am

They’re a pretty terrible team. They average under 10 goals per game. If we’re barely competent, this can be pencilled in as an easy victory.

On the other hand, the real difference between us is that they’ve had a tougher draw. They’ve beaten three hopeless teams that we’ve also beaten and they’ve beaten GCS, whereas we’ve beaten the ‘Aints. We’ve both lost to GWS (them away, us here). We beat Adelaide. They lost hopelessly to them in the wet. We dropped games against Geelong and Hawthorn that a finals-aspirant would win. We lost, as expected, to Richmond, whereas Footscray went down to West Coast, Sydney and Fremantle (away).

So, Collingwood should, if they’re any good, win this comfortably.

In fact, Footscray will give us a serious contest and will likely win by about 3 goals. Both teams are rubbish, either way.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 10:01 am

Despite performing poorly for a couple of weeks, it's likely Cox will retain his spot this week.

Therefore, I'm expecting no more than 2 changes to our line-up.

Out: Faz (inj), Appleby

In: Reid, Sier/Murphy

So I'm hoping we will debut at least one player this week.

Sier is just what we need in the midfield, though it's an area where we have a lot of depth. However, he gives us something new - size and strength. Going forward, I'd suggest that Adams and Thomas need a lift in performance to keep their spots. In a couple of weeks (probably after the bye), Greenwood may also be in the frame for a recall.

Murphy looks to be an upgrade on the young and developing Appleby. Both look to have bright futures with us, but right now, Murphy looks more suited to the physicality of senior footy.
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 10:08 am

Certainly agree with Sier and Murphy—so we have midfield depth sure but multi roles are the roles most players adapt to so Sier at centre bounce release at Pendles or Treloar to link between mid and 50 meter arc

As for Murphy he showed how hard at it he can be and 190cm helps

But what do I know —brains trust will select

5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 11:15 am

RudeBoy wrote:
Despite performing poorly for a couple of weeks, it's likely Cox will retain his spot this week.

Therefore, I'm expecting no more than 2 changes to our line-up.

Out: Faz (inj), Appleby

In: Reid, Sier/Murphy

So I'm hoping we will debut at least one player this week.

Sier is just what we need in the midfield, though it's an area where we have a lot of depth. However, he gives us something new - size and strength. Going forward, I'd suggest that Adams and Thomas need a lift in performance to keep their spots. In a couple of weeks (probably after the bye), Greenwood may also be in the frame for a recall.

Murphy looks to be an upgrade on the young and developing Appleby. Both look to have bright futures with us, but right now, Murphy looks more suited to the physicality of senior footy.

I haven't seen Murphy play but the club website states that he is 190cm and 79kg. Unless he has responded well to his weights program and bulked up since the season began, that puts him in the stick insect category, so I assume that he is primarily an outside running player or rebounding back flanker in the VFL. Is that his strength?
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 6 of 11   

Jump to: