Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post Match - Pies wallop Roos by 76 All comments here please

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pied Piper Aries

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2003 7:14 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

The Weed Report

This was a super win. Admittedly, the Kangaroos looked a shadow of their usual high-spirited selves, but such was Collingwood's intensity, and so even was the team right across the ground, that it would be churlish to put the win down to the opposition's trip back from Subiaco.

Having said that, it's no exaggeration to say that not a single Kangaroos player won his position last night.

Our leadership group were all terrific, but Nathan Buckley was simply awesome: he was playing on another level to everyone else. His kicking was almost unbelievably good. In his 150th match, Burns underlined his All-Australian credentials, while Woewodin and Paul Licuria racked up the hard-ball gets. Josh Fraser dominated the ruck division both in the air and around the ground - and he rucked almost unchanged for the night.

Now throw in O'bree, Holland and Cole, all of whom rotated through the middle and played extremely well. Lockyer and Shaw are injured; McGough and Scotland played at Williamstown. Think about it: we might not have any Brownlow Medallists, but we just may have more depth in our midfield than any other club.

Of the forwards, Anthony Rocca picked up where he left off against the Bullies, and his three goals in the first half - each from further out than the last - crushed the opposition's spirit. Tarrant spent less time chasing ball upfield, and was less dominant for it, but this time he took advantage of his opportunities and kicked four goals.

As for Jarrod Molloy, well, if he's had a tantrum about not spending enough time on the ground as was reported a few weeks ago, he may just have won the argument last night. He looked fitter and hungrier than at any time since 2001 and contributed to several goals, despite not kicking one himself.

Even more pleasing was probably the most efficient display from our back six all season. I feared the improving Petrie and Morrell prior to this game but they barely had a sniff. This was largely due to the pressure applied in the middle of the ground, resulting in poor delivery into the Roos' forward zone, but Cloke, Wakelin, Presti, and especially Ben Johnson and James Clement all had outstanding games.

One performance particularly stood out. Brodie Holland wasn't my best on ground - see Nathan Buckley - but he may just have played the defining game his career, far more important than the eight goals he kicked against West Coast early last year.

Having realised he wasn't going to progress at Collingwood as a small forward alone, Holland took it upon himself to go to the coaching group and ask to be played back to broaden his game. He is looking very fit and last night he proved it, staying with and subduing Brent Harvey. Even better was the offensive ball he won in midfield as the game went on.

I think we got a glimpse of the future in last night's game, with the hard heads excelling and the youngsters showing both how far they've come and how far they can still go. It's only just starting to click.

I have a very, very good feeling about the rest of the year.

The Weed

Miss_Lisey_Molloy Taurus

Keith Urban - CMA 2005 Entertainer Of The Year!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2003 8:43 pm

It was sooooo ace! I know sooo many people who bag Johnno week in, week out! I hope there jaws were on the floor ALL night! lol!!

It was sooooo great! I just wish i could of gone! lolz! gooo pies!!!!!!!!!!!

Love always, Alyssa xoxo

Jarrod Molloy's #1 Fan! Pies are Premiers in 2010!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger  
Lorelei Pisces

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2003 9:04 pm

That's a good match report Weed!

I feel that if Pebbles can continue that form - it is good news for Collingwood. When he is bagging goals it only ever translates to wins for us.

Jen

**Craig Kelly**Craig Kelly**Craig Kelly**

Floreat Pica
JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2003 9:06 pm

The Kangaroos could have been goaless in the first half. The first goal was from a free kick from which Stevens off loaded to Motlop. Their second goal was a 60m David King bomb out of sheer desperation from the lack of options.

Hopefully this week we can belt Fremantle. My main worries are Haselby, Medhurst and Farmer. Last year Haselby and Medhurts tore us apart as both players are very good marks for their size. We all know Farmers exploits while playing for Melbourne.

However Fremantle in Melbourne you would expect to win. But then again i thought the same about Sydney and WCE in Melbourne.

jlc

Pied Piper Aries

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 2:12 am

Lorelei wrote:
I feel that if Pebbles can continue that form - it is good news for Collingwood. When he is bagging goals it only ever translates to wins for us.

Absolutely Jen. A few weeks ago some people were suggesting Rocca be dropped to Williamstown. I didn't agree with that because (a) he is a confidence player, and being dropped would have done his confidence no good at all, and (b) while he had been down, his form was nowhere near as bad as some were suggesting. He'd had a few average weeks, but his early season displays were good enough for him to collect 20 goals in pretty quick time.

I also didn't agree with with dropping him because heaven help the opposition when Rocca returned to form in the seniors. And so it's proven.

Anthony is our barometer. He is the sole player in the team with the ability to carry the whole side with him. That's why I still believe he's our next captain.

Weed

MargOZ Taurus

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 9:33 am

A great team effort and in particular it was fantastic to see four solid quarters. I think all the talk about the ‘subi’ curse is crap and takes away from our boys and their fantastic effort. As mentioned, if the kangas had succumbed in only the last quarter it could have been argued that they ran out of legs due to playing such a hard match in very trying conditions last week – but professional footballers are experienced at travelling interstate and it cannot be used as an excuse – we were simply the far better team on the night.

This match showed just what our side is capable of when we play hard, accountable, team football – it was awesome to watch (my voice is still recovering!) and it’s the type of football we all know we’re capable of playing – and probably the reason why we get so frustrated when we play a ‘shocker’!

It’s great when it’s difficult to pick out individual players and to cast votes because every player contributed. Consistency is our biggest concern this season and hopefully this game will go towards us playing more quality, four quarter football for the remainder of the season. A top 8 finish is a minimum and anything higher is a bonus but if we keep playing well then we’re really going to give the interstate pretenders a run for their money come September! Well done to all the boys, and although I ran out of room in the votes, special mention to the efforts of Cloke, Fraser, Holland, Molloy and Tarrant.

Votes:
3 – Buckley
2 – Clement (hope he’s back soon)
2 – Rocca
1 – Burns (congrats on the great 150th)
1 – Johnson
1 – Licuria
1 – Wakelin
1 – Woewodin

Progressive:
30 – Buckley
28 – Tarrant
22 – Burns
20 – Licuria
20 – Clement
20 – Molloy
19 – Rocca
19 – Woewodin

GO PIES!
Marg
Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 10:08 am

Taking nothing away from us I think the Kangas were flat, not so much because of the travel to Perth, but because of the high stakes game they played the week before, the closeness of the contest and the deflating that came when they lost. I point to our performance the week after we got rolled in our first high stakes game against Brisbane - we got hammered by the Dons on Anzac Day when we usually put in a big effort. This kind of feeling flat has been happening for 100 years.

Make no mistake it was good to get them when we did and it was good to see us pummeling them like we did most of last year. You sense that our hardness has returned, and the focus is now set.
MagpieMad Leo

One in, All in!!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 10:18 am

Nathan Buckley!!!!! how good is he????
great game from our great captain, not taking anything away from the rest of the boys who all played well, but Buckley is a freak!

Nathan Buckley!!!!!

Natalie 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 11:46 am

Absolutely bloody brilliant!

Four quarters of footy, even contributtion of every player (they all kicked arse). The hardness and intensity at the footy was fantastic as well as all the 1%ers. Too hard to pick BOG. Highlights - oh too many. Bux goal in the fourth, Ant's drop punt, Coley's tackle (loved the sound effects from the crowd when they did the replay on the screen). Great game from all. Replay was even better!!

And the crowd - sensational. Well done to Pies (and Roos) for the record crowd at Colonial. Pies, you did it again.
Madpies_Fan Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 12:04 pm

Fantastic win 4 sure. Many terrific efforts and team work. So many played great games on Sat. night. I was thrilled with Benny J. what a great game & Brodie, Taz, Pebbles, Bucks, Woey, Burns, Josh, Jimmy, Wakes, Lica OMG the list goes on. Well done, can't wait til this weeks game. KILL EM Pies!
punkologist Aries

Barwick goals, the pies are home!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 12:13 pm

the whole jumper clash argument is rubbish there wasn't a problem for over 100 years, why is there a problem now?
get over it!
jessa Libra

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 1:35 pm

magpie JOE wrote:
Thank you Dean Laidley for a great coaching effort.lol
Thank you Wayne Carey for going to Adelaide.lol
Thank you Kellie Stevens for being a part of this.lol
Thank you Sav Rocca for being the same poor player.lol
and on a serious note
Thank you Jason Mcartney for being a legend.
Thank you pies,great win.

OMG you're a bloody pissa!!! LMAO!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
AnthonyC Aquarius

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 1:51 pm

Sensational 4 qtr effort. Only game this year that I can recall that we never looked like losing (the 2nd qtr against the saints wasn't pretty). Any game that Benny J can have a couple of shots and actually kick a goal means we must have done well.

Must now back this up and string a number of wins together. Do not think that the next 4 weeks are easy games, must play all of them with the same intensity displayed at the weekend.

Natalie 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 2:46 pm

punkologist - there usually is a bit of clash of jumpers against Roos, different colours yes but from a distance it can be hard to differentiate who's got the ball. Twice Josh handballed straight to a North player from a centre hit out and I think Bux kicked straight to a North player in error. May have been due to a clash.
AGE Aries

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 2:49 pm

Yeah i found it hard a couple of times to distinguish especially in the packs. Wonder why we didn't wear the magpie "swoop" jumpers with the b&w socks. Seeing as it was our away game.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4   

Jump to: