Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Atu and Stephenson

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Other AFL

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 9:39 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Cam wrote:
There was a rumour he would be at the Roos for two years before returning.

Hopefully they can pay 300 of his 500 per year to help get Treloar’s deficit off our books.

Rd10.1998_11.1#36 

rd10.1998_11.1#36

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 10:12 pm

Who would seriously consider bringing Stevo back?

When he left, nobody wanted him except the worst team in the league

What has changed for the better since then? Bike tricks, getting flogged week in week out and being dropped for lack of effort is supposed to make him desirable now?

McRae would be insane to agree, would set a terrible example for a new coach

Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 11:28 pm

Raw Hammer wrote:
Cam wrote:
There was a rumour he would be at the Roos for two years before returning.

Hopefully they can pay 300 of his 500 per year to help get Treloar’s deficit off our books.

His 500 a year is finished after this year, he will be on small money next deal. He got the arse more because of his behaviour than anything. Don't shoot the messenger, just saying what I had read somewhere.

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 12:40 am

Bringing back Stephenson gives me vibes of bringing Beams back a few years ago.

Sometimes it's best to let go of the past and look elsewhere for the future.

piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 9:20 am

Jezza wrote:

Well that's the Cautionary Tale scenario, but... you'd have to assess both scenarios on their merits perhaps?

Hindsight tells us Beams was emotionally and physically volatile when he returned to us, yet we were blinded by him being the missing piece in the jigsaw that would return us to glory in 2019; the logic was solid, but the cost at trade table was high, and ultimately a bust.

Stephenson is still young, injury free, has several pre-seasons under his belt, but with a few nasties living rent-free in his head. I feel he is salvageable, and if available, then certainly affordable. His upside is high - we have seen it.
The question needs to be asked though later in season: do the players WANT him back? If it's a yes, then off to counselling with him for a recalibration and a fresh start. A F50 with Stevo and Ginni running riot is bums on seats for the club in 2023, no question.

Then again, he might pull his finger out and turn it on for North - it is all up to him...

piffdog 

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 9:34 am

piedys wrote:
Jezza wrote:

Well that's the Cautionary Tale scenario, but... you'd have to assess both scenarios on their merits perhaps?

Hindsight tells us Beams was emotionally and physically volatile when he returned to us, yet we were blinded by him being the missing piece in the jigsaw that would return us to glory in 2019; the logic was solid, but the cost at trade table was high, and ultimately a bust.

Stephenson is still young, injury free, has several pre-seasons under his belt, but with a few nasties living rent-free in his head. I feel he is salvageable, and if available, then certainly affordable. His upside is high - we have seen it.
The question needs to be asked though later in season: do the players WANT him back? If it's a yes, then off to counselling with him for a recalibration and a fresh start. A F50 with Stevo and Ginni running riot is bums on seats for the club in 2023, no question.

Then again, he might pull his finger out and turn it on for North - it is all up to him...

Hard pass. Move on. Adding to the fact that it would be a backwards step, the only players we have recruited (almost) since we moved him on are small forwards. I think we are adequately covered with the likes of Ginni, Henry, Elliot who are all better than him.

piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 9:47 am

piffdog wrote:
Hard pass. Move on. Adding to the fact that it would be a backwards step, the only players we have recruited (almost) since we moved him on are small forwards. I think we are adequately covered with the likes of Ginni, Henry, Elliot who are all better than him.

I totally get what you are saying, but... Elliott might play his last game due to an unforseen injury, quite suddenly. We know his history, and i'm surprised he has come back so quickly from that shoulder problem against WCE.

I have Henry pegged to play the Elliott role in time; just saying Stevo could be a free hit at redemption, on a strict contract which wouldn't cost much more than a first year player.

He has the talent, we need it back. Don't hold any grudges peeps; we sacked him, Treloar and Phillips - none of whom were seeking contracts elsewhere.

derkd 

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 1:45 pm

piedys wrote:
Jezza wrote:

Important secondary question....let's say Collingwood did want him back and, North were happy to hand him back for some agreed price.. Would Stephenson even want to come back to the club that moved him on? (Leaving aside all the other many issues).

piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 3:48 pm

derkd wrote:
Important secondary question....let's say Collingwood did want him back and, North were happy to hand him back for some agreed price.. Would Stephenson even want to come back to the club that moved him on? (Leaving aside all the other many issues).

Of course - that's the first question really!
If the rumour were proved to be true, you'd firstly presume that he WANTS to return [with his tail between his legs you'd expect] to reignite his career.
Then the players would need to be consulted, namely all those listed prior to his abrupt 2020 exit.
Seems all those responsible for departure of Stephenson, Phillips and Treloar departed during 2021 season?

Big T 

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 7:43 pm

I'd rather voluntarily visit the proctologist than have him back.
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 8:30 pm

Ginnivan and Stephenson in the same forward line would be interesting tho.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 8:58 pm

I have trouble believing the rumour, simply because a lot can change at a footy club over a two year period. It’s just not the sort of thing three “ professional “ parties ( two clubs and a manager ) would agree to and there hasn’t been much more change at a club than Collingwood in the last 12 months. And if all that isn’t enough, I reckon our VFL team is going well enough without him.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 9:32 pm

If the price was right, I'd bring him back if his head was in the right place. you don't lose talent, you can grow up.
Lazza 

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 10:25 pm

If he becomes available the club has to assess if the pro’s outweigh the con’s. I don’t have enough info to make that call but no doubt the club will.
Ronnie McKeowns boots 

Ronnie Mckeowns boots

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 5:55 pm

Hearing he is keen to sort himself out and that the Club culture (i.e fans) are/would be a strong motivator.....don't shoot the mailman, but no smoke without fire

Jack 'Captain Blood' Dyer
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Other AFL All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4   

Jump to: