Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Bradman ... Phar Lap ... Cathy Freeman

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
magpie_russ 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2000 4:28 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooooover to youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu PieGirl#41!?!?!?

NICK THE PIE MAN 

Nick's BB veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2000 6:41 am

It was good to see Cathy win the gold, some of the comments on this topic has disgusted me (in particular pie girl.) It was a mighty run. But the moment of the olympics so far for me was in the swimming when we beat the yanks in the 4x100 relay, and they started playing a air guitar because the dumb yank said he would smash us like guitars. Also seeing Hackett win after being under so much pressure in the 1500 metres. Thorpey's a legend too. AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE OI! OI! OI!
Broadie 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2000 6:41 am

PieGirl#41, you are a disgrace to this nation.

I could not think of a more appropriate choice for the cauldron lighting.

Freeman is an Olympic champion - already had silver, now also has Gol - who has had evry reason to be an angry & rude person, given her life story and the way her ex and the media have treated her this year BUT SHE'S NOT. She has chosen to be an absolute model of calmness and the true spirit of reconciliation. She wants an apology, and nothing more.

In return, she has had her life exposed brutally by her ex, but never entered into the "eye-for-an-eye" that almost everyone else would. She has focussed on winning Gold for herself, her people and her nation.

She is THE Australian.
Broadie 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2000 6:47 am

Just re-read #1 Buckleyfan's comment: not only did Freeman win Silver in Atlanta, Thorpe had NOT EVEN BEEN IN AN OLYMPICS let alone won a medal before these Olympics.

And what's wrong with using the Torch lighting as a step in the reconciliation process? That's prefectly within the spirit of the nations gathering under the one flag (i.e., the 5 rings) at the Olmpics.
Magpie Gal 19 Pisces

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2000 7:43 am

The reason why Hackett or Thorpe or Gaze or King Perkins or any other male athlete didn't carry the flane or lit it is because it was the 100 year anerversy of women in the olympics.

Congrates to Cathy for winning in grand style last nite. I know she did Australia Proud.
Sorry about my spelling.

NICKY DAVIS AND PETA EDEBONE KICKS ASS!!!
eMmA 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2000 7:48 am

#1BUCKLEYFAN,what has the stolen generation got to do with cathy lighting the couldron.Cathy lit it cause she is a more then great aussie and because of all her achievements.

PIEGIRL#41,what has cathy ever done to make you hate her so much??to be honest with you i think that out of every australian cathy deserved to carry and light that flame couldron thing cause she is a great australian!!!!!

GOOD ON YA CATHY!!!!
YOUR RACE LAST NIGHT WAS FANTASTIC!!!
KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!!!

LATERZ

SAV IS SEXY-->36 UNTIL FOREVER-->ROCCA BROS ROCK MY WORLD!!!!!!

Spidergirl 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2000 8:09 am

So now u think u can speak for the rest of Australia now JOFFA ahahahahah!

Either u like Kathy or u dont ~ well done Kathy, C u in another 4 years---> now bring footy back!!!

???

CQ 

ambitious that

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2000 8:27 am

well what other 'ferocious attacks' were there under the topic?? either you were talking about piegirl or what you said was completely irrelevant!
nikki 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2000 3:57 pm

Well done Cathy and all our Olympian medal winners and generally all our olympians...... You have all done us proud!!!!!!

------------------
GO THE MIGHTY PIES
SAV & ANTHONY LEGENDS FOREVER!!!
GO ROGAN, JOSH YOUR MY HERO..

London Dave Aquarius

Ješte jedna pivo prosím

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2000 5:30 pm

Echo thoughts on Olympics, well done to all the aussies doing their stuff. All you see here is pretty much the poms, although Cathy Freemans 400 race was a big deal, she seems to be ranked up with Johnson, Jones etc on the star scale here. That 4x100 relay swim on the Saturday morning (my time) was great(THE HIGHLIGHT), especially if ones wife is American!!!!

As for lighting the flame, I was most disappointed with the result. In my office sweep, I got Christopher Skase doing the job, and thought I was a big chance of scooping the 25 pounds on offer! The biggest groan came from the bloke who drew John Howard (even though he had no clue who he was, he guessed by my laughing). Even I had more hope than him!

Most interesting aspect of coverage here is pommy press bagging the Aussies for their 'biased' coverage of the games! As usual, the BBC have been useless, and I have been watching Eurosport, a cable channel which gives a good look at all the events going on.

Hope everyone is doing the right thing and screaming their guts out for the Aussies, which keeps you in scream training for the pies next year!

joffa#2001 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2000 4:11 am

Thank you Alf and all the others who admire cathy just like i do
So much for the reconciliation process we obviously as a nation
still need to do much more.

There is no need to dislike cathy in any way
she is a great australian representing her country and our country. AUSTRALIA

From my experience in the many pubs i have been to and people i come across the only people who dislike cathy are those for some
strange reason simply dont like the aboriginal race and i find these people very sad.

If my reply in an earlier post has offended any one
im SORRY

I just want to see a united Australia it is only when this happens CAN WE TRULY SAY WE ARE GREAT

see yous

[This message has been edited by joffa#2001 (edited 27 September 2000).]

Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2000 1:12 pm

Well done Cath! You are a deadset champion and deserve everything you get. But please don't go into politics. Oh and great last 50 metres in the 200 tonight.
MAGPIE MANIAC 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2000 3:21 pm

CONGRATULATIONS TO CATHY FREEMAN! WHAT A LEGEND SHE HAS TURNED OUT TO BE.
She has created history in the year 2000 Olympics in Sydney and shown what a real champion she is. Good on you Cathy and to anyone who bags her - Could you do better?
AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE OIY OIY OIY!!!
magpie_russ 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2000 3:52 pm

This is a far cry from the day I stood in the social club watching Winmar and McAdam kick our arse. I must say that day transcended football for me. Usually I only see black and white but on that day the black was beautiful and the white was ugly... very ugly.

Only days later I questioned for the first time something that was inconceivable… my love of Collingwood. This was the result of Allan McAllister’s comments. I rang the club and reminded them that our jumper contained both colours BLACK! & WHITE!

I figured a cultural change would have to come from within and for my part no one would be uttering "comments" of that nature while I was standing next to them.
It wasn't an indictment on the Collingwood Football Club rather an indictment on our society. We have come along way from those days.

Ditto all your positive comments.

Note: Men dominate sport in our culture. So it is equally refreshing to have a woman as our focus of pride.

------------------
Russ.ôżô
........-
........*

magpie_russ 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2000 8:08 am

Mohammed Ali only won one gold medal...
I think you are missing the whole point. Some people are not just sports people. Symbolism - A woman and an aboriginal. We are embracing the future whole heartedly because of the past. You can like or dislike whoever you want.
I'm not going in to this any further... you work it out.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4   

Jump to: