Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Bradman ... Phar Lap ... Cathy Freeman

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2000 9:14 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets leave this conversation alone. Its not worth it.
joffa#2001 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2000 8:26 pm

Hey piegirl give it a rest so who cares if YOU dont like cathy
freeman!!

What an amazing young woman she is and what a loving and caring person.

Im proud to have you as a fellow AUSSIE cathy and i am deeply ashamed of our past i am SORRY cause it goes to prove that our past is no differnt to any other country.

CAUSE IM FREE...CAUSE IM FREE...
we dumb white aussies at times just dont bloody know how lucky
we are..

HOWARD- im afraid history will judge you as the poor little man who could not say SORRY

rash 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2000 7:22 am

After reading all your emails I have one thing to say.

KEEP POLITICS OUT OF SPORT.

joffa#2001 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2000 12:56 pm

yeah and lets all put our heads in buckets of sand!!

GOOD ONE RASH.

eMmA 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2000 2:06 pm

HI.....BYE!!!

LATERZ

SAV IS SEXY-->36 UNTIL FOREVER-->ROCCA BROS ROCK MY WORLD!!!!

AlfAndrews 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2000 6:26 pm

Rash,

You can't "keep politics out of sport" because sport IS political. The Olympic Games, in particular, is a political event. Australia spent billions of dollars on this event because it wanted the plebs to feel good about themselves for 16 days.

Did you know that because of the Olympic Games thousands of Sydney's poorest people were forced out of their homes. That's because, in order to cash in on this 16 day extravaganza, landlords increased rents savagely. The average rent for a one-bedroom flat in Sydney'd inner suburbs is now about $200. Those rents will never go down again because the Olympic Games has raised Sydney's status as an international city. Now every yuppie in America wants to live in Sydney. There's been a boom in apartment building. They don't call them "flats" any more. They call them "apartments". All the old low rent housing has been replaced. Doss houses that used to provide relatively cheap accommodation for single people on the fringes of society have now been converted into backpackers accomodation for blonde haired blue eyed Aryan bike-riders with latent Nazi tendencies. The down-and-outers can't afford to live in Sydney any more. It's as if Sydney is no longer a part of Australia. For the sake of two weeks of partying there has been a massive social dislocation of Sydney's most economically vulnerable people.

And then you've got the sickening sight of John Howard crowd surfing among a bunch of Aussie athletes on the front page of the Herald Slime. I just wanted to puke when I saw that.

How political can it get?

It's not people like Joffa who are bringing politics into sport. Elite sport has been riddled with politics for decades. Some of the most blatantly right wing political organisations in Australia today are SOCOG, the AFL, and ... dare I say it ... our very own much loved Collingwood Football Club. And they are getting more political ... and more right wing ... by the minute. The Olympic Games have been a triumph for capitalism. They've been a triumph for John Howard. They've been a triumph for the right wing media. And they've been a triumph for the Australian middle class of which I am very proud to say I'm not a member.

There's no neutrality in this. There is a war going on in this country. An economic war. A political war. A cultural war.

And the bad guys are winning ... easily.

------------------
**floreat pica**

London Dave Aquarius

Ješte jedna pivo prosím

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2000 1:39 am

Alf,
Don't think Howard won anything out of the games. I saw bits of the final bit, and Midnight Oil certainly made him look like the silly man he is. I think everyone took note of that! Thats what most of the locals over here said to me as well. There is always politics in any sport. Go ask anyone at your local footy/cricket/tennis/any sport club.

Liked the latent Nazi tendencies call, but what does it mean?

Summers coming mate, let the sunshine in!!!!!
AlfAndrews 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2000 3:26 pm

Sorry, Dave. I regretted that "Nazi" comment as soon as I'd posted it. I was indulging in some racial stereo-typing of German back-packers. It was totally unfair.

As for Howard V Midnight Oil:

Howard may have looked stupid to thinking people like ourselves, but I've got no doubt that the moronic millions (those who read Andrew Bolt in the Herald Slime) saw it differently. If an election were held today Little Johnny and his Draconian Drongoes would shit it in.

------------------
**floreat pica**

Mike Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2000 4:05 pm

I agree Alf, politics cannot kept out of sport. Politics in one form or other permeates everything we do.

I agree that Cathy Freeman was an inspired choice for that role. How powerful was the symbolism in that image of her standing, torch raised, she alone lit up in that stadium bursting to the seams with the cultures of the world.

As well as representing the race that is the soul of the land upon which this country is built, she represented so well the woman, the survivor, the achiever and the ordinary person.

As for saying sorry, I truly believe that there is only one person in this country that has the right to truly apologise for wrongs done to the aboriginal people. I can say I'm sorry, but I'm not sure what I'm sorry for. I won't accept personal responsibility for what was done long before I was born and I'm not sure which of the many nationalities and cultures that make up my being is saying sorry. I will say I'm sorry, but only in an effort to do what Midnight Oil were doing, put pressure on the person who should be saying it - Little Johnnie Howard. He, as the leader of the government, is the only one who can truly apologise for wrongs condoned and perpetueted by the government. We can't accept his personal apology, because that is as meaningless as mine.

Reconciliation, if at all possible, is only possible after the government, through it's leader, has acknowleged its responsibilty for the terrible and unnecessary sacrifices enforced upon this land's native people as part of the creation of the nation in which we now live.
magpie_russ 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2000 12:44 pm

I had to go back (way back) to find out who started this topic... Alf!!!
That 2nd page is a good read. Thanks Gents!

London Dave Aquarius

Ješte jedna pivo prosím

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2000 1:26 pm

Re reading this page , Alf, I thought about your final comment regarding the bad guys winning. They don't always. Look at the SAfrican sports boycott. Don't forget the tortoise and hare. Mike, that is pretty spot on regarding the apology debate. It was interesting to watch it from afar, especially with the UN treaty signings (or refusals to do so). Most people vote through their wallet (which is their right) I suppose. Keep on with the dreaming Alf, someones got to mate.
joffa#2001 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2000 3:47 am

Top reply mike my sentiments exactly
gee i wish i had an intelligent way with words like your self and alf.

It coulda been oh so different if it wasnt for 'bags' my little
over the top 'get every thing done correct' strict little horrible bastard of a principle who had the nerve to tell me mid way through year nine my services as a student were no longer required.

joffa#2001 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2000 5:17 am

ok im back i just went down the local newsagents and got a dictionary !!!!!!

Mike Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2000 6:10 am

Joffa, we are all blind when it comes to looking at ourselves.

I can write two paragraphs and still miss the passion, energy and meaning that you manage to cram into a few words. The envy is mutual.
Greg J Aquarius

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2000 4:52 am

Alf, on his soap box, cool.

Fancy throwing the truth at us. The purists, the romantists will always get screwed by the people looking out for themselves.

Next year, I pledge to bring my own food the footy so the caterers do not make super profits out fo me. That's my bit for a better society. I am saying NO the $3.50 (or whatever) cold hotdogs. Of course, the traditional Pie'n'sauce is exempt from such a stand.

No more time to go on. The call of work is deafening. Geez Alf, I am looking at the American Consulate right now, and for a change no-one is picketing it!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4   

Jump to: