Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Footy Tipping

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2000 5:03 pm
Post subject: Footy TippingReply with quote

With the slow progress of Magpie Mail, we're going to have to come up with some fresh ideas if we're to keep this show on the road.

How about a footy tipping comp? We could charge an entry fee and a percentage of the funds could be held back from the prize pool to support the site.

Footy tipping software is incredibly expensive, too expensive for this site to buy, so I'll have to design it myself. Before I embark on that little project, I need some idea of how popular it will be.

Please let me know if you would like a footy tipping comp on the site, if you'd be prepared to pay to enter and what you reckon a fair entry fee would be. I would also like to hear any other fund raising ideas you might have.

Thanks.
joffa#2001 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2000 5:24 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

yep im all for a footy competition

mike why dont u give jonny and benny
from hot pies a buzz!!!

They are top guys and i reckon they would participate
in any way possible.ie with there monthly mag!!

AlfAndrews 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2000 5:59 pm

Joffa

I think Hot Pies might have folded. I wrote a match review for them hoping to get it into the final issue for the year but they told me there wasn't going to be another issue.

Maybe you know more than I do. I'd be interested to know if they're planning a comeback in 2001.

Mike,

A tipping competition is a great idea and I'm interested. I reckon $20 would be a reasonable entry fee. That's probably about as much as I can really afford.

------------------
**floreat pica**

Mick 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2000 3:16 am

Hot Pies has definitely not folded.
The guys plan to be back bigger and better than ever.

GeorgeQ 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2000 6:22 am

I would certainly be in a tipping contest, the one here at work costs $2.50 each round for each person/syndicate. It would be interesting being in a tipping competition with other Collingwood supporters, I would have won if I had not picked Collingwood every week.
MAGPIE MANIAC 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2000 7:40 am

Mike , I'm all for a Tipping Competition. Great idea. Also if my memory serves me correct the guys were talking about a cricket match. If by some miracle this happens why don't we have a sausage sizzle after the game and donate all the profits to you.

If it comes to the worst we could give Spidergirl a tin and stand her outside the changerooms after Training to get donations!

------------------
ROWDY FOREVER
AlfAndrews 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2000 11:51 am

When I said $20 I meant for the whole year. I was assuming it was a year-long competition with just one big prize at the end.

It would also be a good thing if Collingwood's matches were excluded so we didn't have to go thru the agony of having to choose between our head and our heart.

But then again, maybe that's part of the culture of tipping competitions. I dunno.

------------------
**floreat pica**

Spidergirl 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2000 12:28 pm

oh c'mon Magpie Maniac r u sure thats all u want me to do outside the changerooms to raise money? Can think of a much better way........

On the tipping---> good point, leave Collingwoods games outta it in fact for me leave all my teams out. I was stupid enough to pick Collingwood hahahha and get this, St.Kilda, every week, yes every, even Saints against Essendon ahhhh no wonder i lost but as soon as finals came i got every single tip right and came in the top hundred outta all them people on the AFL site!!!!! kick ass!!!!

???

CJ 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2000 11:07 am

For some reason I couldn't post anything here before!! Oh well, I can now!

Mike, The tipping comp is an awesome idea. I will definately be paying to tip.

Also Mike, there is a web site: www.footy.com.au that has a footy tip comp to purchase (no doubt you already knew that!). BUT, since you are writing your own, I guess I didn't need to crap on like I have!!!!!

[This message has been edited by CJ (edited 17 October 2000).]

moooooooo 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2000 2:08 pm

well as a programmer, database designer and collingwood supporter i also happen to have registered \http://www.footy2001.com/

i did some initial design work on the backend (the site itself is damn ordinary right now) but got too busy with my real work.
so if i get some sort of incentive or massive interest from you guys i will finish off the backend and all of the programming and get one of my colleagues to do the graphics.
let me know
cheers
peter
director
cdws
\http://www.cdws.com.au/
\http://www.footy2001.com/
Mike Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2000 3:20 pm

Thanks for the offer mooooooo, but we'll be right.
Greg J Aquarius

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2000 7:12 am

Every year I get screwed in Tipping competitions coz I always tip Collingwood. Even the last two seasons.

It would be great to be in a tipping competition with only Collingwood supporters.

I agree with Joffa, it should only be a seven game a week tipping competition. Everybody automatically tips Collingwood to win!

How much? Well I think I would rather a lump sum. That way I would not have to remmeber to pay each week (and escape transaction fees?).

Mick, unfortunately I am not a Perl/CGI programmer, but if you want anyone to review design, code, test or any other help, I will commit some hours. I am pretty sure there are other computer professionals that will help out too (I suspect London Dave is over in England contracting until Collingwood has a decent side, I know I am thinking of doing it).

Spidergirl 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2000 7:51 am

u know what we should do when Collingwood play right well coz we r all gonna pick em anyway we should just tip the margain we think they r gonna win by and get points for that or something!

sound kewl or shite???

???

AlfAndrews 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2000 12:05 pm

That idea is definitely shite, Spidergirl. Because we never bloody win.

Definitely not kewl.

------------------
**floreat pica**

NICK THE PIE MAN 

Nick's BB veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2000 2:01 pm

lol! agreed alf
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: