Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The end of an era - Nick's Collingwood Page

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2000 7:51 am
Post subject: The end of an era - Nick's Collingwood PageReply with quote

It's a decision that I've delayed for a year: Nick's Collingwood Page is to close.

This time of year is normally spent revamping the site, renewing licences and establishing net space and services for the following season. It's become too hard to continue to do that.

I haven't been able to justify the time and expense that maintaining this site requires for quite a while, but I've procrastinated because the community that has grown up here has become such a big part of both of our lives that it's almost like deciding to leave a family - and dissolving the family in the process.

Nick has spent less and less time on the site as other unavoidable commitments take more and more of his time. I've filled the gap, but at the expense of time that I should be spending providing the kind of attention that this site demands both to my family and to my paying clients. Several other things have already been sacrificed in order to keep the site up: Nick hasn't been a member for two seasons because we couldn't afford it, he hasn't been to Collingwood game for three. It's very hard to justify and the last thing I want is for Nick to martyr himself for an organisation that probably doesn't deserve that kind of commitment. Most of you will have read my previous outbursts regarding the Club's habit of sucking up the best of what we have to offer and giving nothing in return, so I won't go into that again.

In an effort not to have to make this decision, I decided to see if I could get the site to pay its own way. Magpie Mail was a feeler in that direction. To date Magpie Mail has 4 subscribers. I really didn't expect it to make us wealthy, but I did hope that it might earn enough to subsidise the operation of this site and justify its continuation. That hasn't happened. I'm aware that it's the wrong end of the season to be promoting new footy related products, but the site is busier than ever and the service is gaining as much exposure as it would at any other time. I don't believe in miracles and harsh economic realities tell me that this little enterprise will not be the saviour that we hoped it might have been.

Magpie Mail will continue, because I have a commitment to the people that have subscribed and it will at least support itself, but it obviously won't provide the kind of revenue necessary to support the whole site.

One of our options was to leave the site up as a normal supporter's home page, so that time and money could be minimised. That would mean removing the dynamic content from the site. Bulletin board, live scoreboard, player stats, databases link maintenance etc. would all suffer and suck the life out of the site leaving it as a shell of what it has been. Neither Nick nor I could bear to do that, we would rather it just ceased to exist, having served its purpose.

Please continue to support the other quality Collingwood sites: Hotrod's 'Extreme Black and White', Sly's 'Collingwood Rant' and Driver's 'Buckley Surfers'. They can all be found at Magpies Net.

Many of you have been visiting this site for many years now and some have just arrived, we value you all and we're going to miss you. We have a life to get on with, and now seems to be the time to do it.
magpie_russ 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2000 8:02 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what to say!?!?!
I suppose most of us take for granted what you guys do.
Does the club chip in at all? Seeing that Collingwood is no longer just about the suburb of Collingwood. This type of forum gives people the feeling of community that would have been so much a part of Collingwood in the old days. Also, the whole Vic Park thing.
I'll send you s personal message.
Russ.

[This message has been edited by magpie_russ (edited 01 October 2000).]

Clemo Capricorn

clemo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2000 8:46 am

I'm shocked......
This is a tragedy. It can not be. This site is a magnificent melting pot for avid Pie fans. Nick's footy page is an institution. I am not sure how I am going to cope with no BB and especially the Live scorebord. I'm going to miss the commentating.
This is trully a sad day.
Mike & Nick - congratulations on a trully magnificent site.
um..err....any second thoughts.

------------------
Collingwood Forever !
Tony_Clemente@hotmail.com
www.netspace.net.au/~clemo
joffa#2001 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2000 10:48 am

Mike and Nick u r true collingwood people

All good things come to an end how ironic is it
that our beloved collingwood is heading in the same direction.

i say thanks to you both
and everybody else on here thanks for being good collingwood people,we have had our fair share of arguments and opinions
but above all that deep down we are all collingwood people and thats what makes us unique and hated.GO PIES-joffa

CJ 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2000 10:49 am

Shit, Thats was a shock reading that!

Obviously it has been a bloody hard decision for you two to make. But having read you posting Mike I surpose you really have no option.

Well, all I can say is that you, Mike and Nick, have served all of us die hard fans well with the BB and Live Scoreboard.

Well Done Mike and Nick and I wish you all the best.

P.S. Maybe Mags idea might be a way to keep the site alive if someone is willing to take it on!

Fletch 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2000 11:04 am

Its like a bad dream, thems the breaks.

Nick & Mike thanks a lot you've done a tremendous job over the years and we all appreciate the time and effort you put in. Mike your exactly right when you said this club doesn't deserve the commitment that us fans put in, we love the club more than the players I bet.

Thanks again and all the best in the future.

CJ 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2000 3:03 pm

Mags,

If you did take over this site, you would be far better of taking over ALL of it, not just the BB. I to wouldn't mind taking the batton!

But is this the best time to be wondering about who would or could take over? Maybe not!

*miss_magpie* Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2000 3:25 pm

well it's been great while it lasted... at least the part i knew about it seeing as i wasn't on here for long but thanks nick and mike it was/is an excellent page and i guess i'll have to find some other way to talk to everyone off here while it's off season

tarkyn rocks.
go pies!!!
ash 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2000 3:58 pm

I can only hope that this is some kind of harsh joke.
Well done Nick and Mike.

Looks like I've got to go to bigfooty to find out all the romours.

CQ 

ambitious that

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2000 4:01 pm

yeah this is a cool page and u guys did a great job.
michy 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2000 4:23 am

I will truly miss this site.Mike and nick u did an ace job this site was a great hit and not just me but probably all of us have met great friends who are fellow supporters on this site.
It won't be the same without it but i fully understand ur decision and i totally respect u 4 that.
Hopefully someone can take over.This site is too good to lose
hugs and kisses always
michy
Spidergirl 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2000 5:05 am

Well youz have done a heaps kewl job on this site so on yaz but it is too kewl to loose coz the other footy chat sites r gay!
Hey what is gonna happen to our footy sluts page??? and the teeny one that mags runs r they still gonna be up or what???

???

Broadie 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2000 5:37 am

When I saw this topic I thought Nick must be leaving Tassie for Uni or something like that. Instead, the nightmare of losing the BB.

Is there any way you can give others a few weeks to subscibe to "magpies.net"? I know this isn't the only problem (you've always been very clear in stating the full reasoning behind your decisions, Mike).

If not, I hope Magpiera can at least keep the BB up for the dialogue. One of the great things about this site, besides those who run it, is the format - it's easier to navigate than any other BB I've ever been to, and the daily mail-outs prove a great time-saver by letting us in on all (or most) of the topics appearing each day.

Nick & Mike: you have become like old friends over the past few years, and I guess my wish to paste my daughters' picture here was part of that feeling that this BB has become like family.
Thank-you.
I will miss you both.

I've said it before: if ever the CFC wants to hear about / from REAL supporters, this site is the place for it.

I will be the first to raise a Guinness in sadness if there really is to be a wake for Nick's BB.

Vale. (or will there be a continuation...)

[This message has been edited by Broadie (edited 02 October 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Broadie (edited 02 October 2000).]
Spidergirl 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2000 7:37 am

yeah Mags ---> we can easy make a new BB or other than that everyone put their e-mail addy's down and we can all just chat on e-mail. Most ppl know where to find us at the footy N E Way so theres no need to act like we are all dying or something. Ponsford stand end is the outer cheersquad ---> some of us chicks sit there CQ, Ren, Piegirl and myself then up the other end is the unofficial cheersquad ---> Magpiegal, Joffa, Emma, Magpiera etc so yeah no need to be all soppy ppl's we r not dissappearing off the face of the earth just off here!!!

???

*miss_magpie* Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2000 7:54 am

i think you can pretty much hear us anywhere we are magpiera

everyone has to keep in touch tho so after this page is gone whoever i know has to e-mail me still!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5   

Jump to: