Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

This is our Pie board anyone else think Scud was great?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Elvira Pisces

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 4:59 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
JLC Quote:
That would be Wayne Arthurs, Scott Draper, Todd Woodbridge.

Combine those three players and you would almost have one big dud
End Quote

Nice one JLC Wink

Ok, maybe I shouldnt have used the words "knob, wank & Dud" somtimes the fingers get carried away when I'm typing, sorry Greg. I still think the Scud deserves more credit though!

Sorry people, I didnt realise I wasnt logged in.

Elvira Pisces

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 5:00 pm

Anonymous wrote:
Mike, why isnt my avatar showing??

Dont worry about this post Mike, I wasnt logged in.

Cheers.

Last edited by Elvira on Mon Jul 07, 2003 5:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 5:05 pm

hey gregy boy put that bozo afro wig back on and get ure hand of it cause to much tossing ull go blind and grow hir on ure palms

Rowdy26 

chomp - new strawberry!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 5:32 pm

Mark is an amazingly good tennis player like it or not. He is yet to win a grand slam tournament, however he will do it soon. He has been extremely unfortunate with injuries at the worst possible times. He has given a lot to our country and been a crucial member of winning Australian Davis Cup, Hopman Cup and the World Teams Championships teams. He has twice reached the final of a grand slam and on each occasion been unlucky to strike an opponent in some of the most red hot form of their career. You only need to listen to Federer's comments on how the last 2 matches at Wimbledon this year were possibly the best matches he has played in his entire career to understand just how hot Federer was going. Mark is not a choker, chokers crash under pressure, Mark has succeeded numerous times under some of the most extreme pressure imaginable.

Mark played well this Wimbledon, when many predicted he would fall early. He played great against the worlds number 1 player and beat him in five sets and played a good final where he was outclassed on the day. When Mark plays his best he is capable of beating anybody and so far it has been hard for him to do this continually with injuries being a major interuption.

Its easy to bag the guy when you read some of the grossly exaggerated things written or reported about him. The guy knows he has to work even harder than he already has for the best part of 20 years now, and i'm sure he'll do that. His opponents (the worlds best tennis players and those in the best position to make comment) continually praise Mark with both his sportsmanship and talent. With more hard work and some good fortune then Mark still has time to win grand slams and be remembered as one of the greatest players of all time.

To critisize the guy for not showing loyalty to his country or for choking when it counts just shows ones ignorance about the sport and the man involved.
JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 5:43 pm

magpie greg wrote:
JLC wrote:
Well lets narrow it down. You dont like the Scud because he was disloyal to Australia. So that must mean you like the loyal Australians. If not please tell us which tennis players make the grade. Already i have eliminated Agassi and the recently retired Sampras as they were not big participants in Davis Cup. Anyway back to the slip slop slap fan club.

That would be Wayne Arthurs, Scott Draper, Todd Woodbridge.

Combine those three players and you would almost have one big dud.

jlc

Yes you are right again JLC from the point of view of winning a singles Grand Slam event Arthurs, Draper and Woodbridge are on a par with Phillipoussis. Of course Woodbridge has equaled the record number of Grand Slam doubles titles wins so that puts him ahead of your favourite dud.

Agassi and Sampras are so far ahead of Poo Poo it isnt funny. Serena Williams and Poo Poo, now THERE is a similarity (but not for winning anything) just for being petty.

Keep angling buddy. You may catch something one day.

So which Aussies do you like ?? You also seem to forget that Agassi didnt really mature as a person or a player until late in his career. When he was young he wasnt a model tennis player. However you missed my point anyway. You discounted Scud claiming he was disloyal to his country. On that basis Sampras and Agassi get eliminated as well.

You may as well throw in Woodbridges mixed doubles titles as well.....lol But put him on a tennis court by himself and hes a dud.

jlc

Rowdy26 

chomp - new strawberry!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 6:20 pm

Quote:
It shows that unlike others I am not besotted with him b/c he has an Australian passport.

Its not just Aussies who love the guy MG, just stroll onto any tennis chat site or attend any overseas tournaments and you'll see how much tennis fans all around the world adore him for his game and skill. They dont do this because he simply has an Australian passport.

Quote:
Others praise him like Sheedy praises teams Essendon defeats. It makes their victory over the Dud more laudable if you say you defeated a good opponent rather than tell the truth.

yes, that happens, but you cant continually heep praise on him if he's a dud in the first place or if you do so you'll soon lose your credibility. i've heard and read many interviews from players praising him even when they havent just played him

Quote:

He has never ben consistent. He never will be. Believe the bull.shit he espoused after the game. That it all it was.

Its a bit hard to be consistent when every time he starts to look consistent he is cut down by something beyond his control!

Quote:
Ask his coaches (you know, the guys he continually fires) what they think of him.

Well Peter McNamara, the man who's coached him since the beginning still regards him as a champion player, Pat Cash said today that although they have had issues with things (who hasnt with pat) the scud is unstoppable at his best, I cant say i've spoken to gavin hopper recently, although to give up coaching a player you've just got to number 3 in the world and also to give up coaching seles to coach the scud shows that the boy can obviously play. His dad still believes in him obviously. The Davis Cup captains / coaches are fully behind the guy. Roche and other Aussie legends have had the occasional issues blown out of proportion, however all still believe in the guy and were there giving him advice and encouragement this wimbledon. I cant think of any other coach off hand. None of them seem to suggest he is a hack or "dud" as has been put here.

Quote:

The Scud is a Dud. He has done nothing to reverse that opinion. Show me a Grand Slam singles title and I'll shut up.

You are hard to impress, and obviously things like Davis Cup and other compitions where you represent your country mean much less to you than you have been making on about in previous posts. I also think you'll be shutting up sooner than you realise

Quote:

That is not to say he cant make good money on the tennis circuit being a dud. Andrew Illie is still playing isnt he?

Whats this comment mean? Yes you can make good money without winning grand slams but whats this got to do with Mark? Money has nothing to do with whether he is a dud or not.
Blanch Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 7:42 pm

MG, I gather from your comments that Roy Emerson is the greatest all time player? He has the most grand slam wins in singles. Doubles is a different game entirely and cannot be counted when comparing players. No.1 in the world in doubles means sweet f.a. in singles.

To reach the final of 2 different grand slam events is not easy. It's not like he didn't beat the no.1 in the world to get there either. I suggest you read Andre Agassi's press conference after he lost to the poo. Andre is one of the most respected players on tour and I think he'd take exception to being beaten by a dud.

If you know anything about tennis (nobody in particular - just generalising) and you have followed the game with interest you will know that Andre Agassi doesn't lose to duds......unless they are duds with extreme talent who've been to grand slam finals before who on their day can beat anyone on the tour.

All WA Magpies join the Western Magpies now:
http://www.westernmagpies.com
(At least go and sign the guestbook).
Joe 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 8:41 pm

I was going for Federer,as stated on my earlier post b4 the match.
well done to the poo for reaching the final,I am happy he got flogged anyways.
colt Sagittarius

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 5:14 pm

LOL MG.....
I can't believe I actually agree with you for once Rolling Eyes
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 8:22 am

Cmon MG, Knit Peal one knit pearl is exciting entertainment.
colt Sagittarius

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 12:25 pm

MG I knew as soon as you saw my name you would think the worst.
That's why I got such a laugh out of the fact that I agreed with you Laughing Shocked
commonwombat Sagittarius

commonwombat

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 8:52 pm

In response to the original question, frankly no.
JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 9:37 am

The mens circuit is very competitive and the depth is pretty good at the moment. Did anyone kick up a fuss when the number 5 seed went out first round ??

Scuds best chance of a Grand Slam will continue to be Wimbledon as that is the surface where he faces the last competition as not many current players excel on grass. All Scud needs to do is improve his tactics a little as well as have some luck as any player needs during a tournament.

Im sure many many people were calling David Nalbandian a dud when he was thrashed by Hewitt in the Wimbledon final.

jlc

Blanch Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 10:00 am

Can someone please call me a dud with my $7mill US prizemoney plus endorsements worth over double that. While I drive around in my ferrari, courting Delta Goodrem in the passengers seat I'm sure the "dud" jibe will really worry me.

I aspire to be a dud!

All WA Magpies join the Western Magpies now:
http://www.westernmagpies.com
(At least go and sign the guestbook).
MargOZ Taurus

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 10:21 am

I think Mark's had a tough run with injuries and bad luck - and unfortunatately he seems to play an all or nothing game. I think his game and attitude has really improved over the last 12 months or so and although his recent loss was pretty bad (he just didn't seem to be there!), I still think he's a great player and with some consistency could easily rise up the rankings.

And I agree Blanch - if he's a 'dud' then I want his life!!!

Marg
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6   

Jump to: