Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Nathan Buckley

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2000 5:06 am
Post subject: Nathan BuckleyReply with quote

Re-post of a post by Annabelle on Hotrod's Bullet In Board:
quote:
Exclusive

This may distress you all to read this but I came across some very inside information last night (sources journalists and club insiders), on various matters. The first concerning Bucks was first aired by Sly last week - but it gets worse.

A delegation led by Scott Burns approached Neil Balme about Bucks saying that they have had enough and can't take it anymore. They are sick of being chastised (apparently he even pays out on the senior players on the field)

They feel that he essentially plays for himself and would like the club to allocate him one position leave him there (rightly or wrongly), and let the others players build around him.

They believe him to be incredibly self-centred and inhibiting for their personal and football development.

Balme and others took this to MM. His reaction - "We'll have to clear out all the others and start again" MM's actual words.

Apparently Rowdy was approached about healing the 'rift' but according to informed sources he "can't stand his guts" They expect that it will be hard to keep out of the news and gave me imprimatur to air it on this type of forum, though I haven't told non-Collingwood supporters.
Contrary to some reports though, apparently Mal Michael's departure had nothing to do with Bucks.

Bucks DOES NOT HAVE ONE FRIEND AT THE CLUB. (apparently gospel)but the # 19 worships him.

On Dragicevic - we have offered him a lot of money, but it is not a monetary issue. He is unhappy regarding the lack of game time he receives at Richmond. For us to secure him we would probably have to guarantee him a lot of air time : in my humble opinion a practice fraught with danger.

On the draft - they are desperate for Didak. They're certain that Riewoldt will be taken by Saints and fear that Didak will probably go next. Apparently Kroschitze got injured at the camp and has a knee injury which curtail him somewhat. At this stage Judkins rates him higher than McDougall if the choice was between these two. Riewoldt incidentally also got injured at the draft camp and didn't complete the testing process.

Club still hadn't made a decision on Cloke at that point and hadn't indicated explicitly which way they might go.

It is also rumoured much to the chagrin I'm sure of some of you folks out there that we may take Eastaugh with a late draft pick, or someone Lindsay (all conceded absolute desperate need for a ruckman)

Unfortunately there was a general air of negativity (sorry Driver, especially coming on top of the Buckley revelations), and it was generally felt that we have far too young a list and are in desperate need for an influx of two to three quality players (we could have told them that)

The general feeling was that unless the likes of Chipper, Boofa, Rhyce (the latter two they have high hopes for), Rogan and Taz improve dramatically, we will be occupying the lower reaches for a while yet.

I give my absolute guarantee that this information is fair dinkum and impeccably sourced. I trust that it doesn't distress people too much but at times I feel people appreciate the truth.
Mike Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2000 5:08 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Reply by Driver to Annabelle's post:
quote:
Annabelle - this has made my morning coffee even more bitter

The Buckley stories have been around for ages. It is true he drives himself hard and that he also would like others to drive themselves like he does.

Those who know me would also know the opinion of another "driven" person who came into my life and what my views were on that pig-headedness and sheer bloody mindedness. In the end things turned very ugly for that person as we all know.

My view on Buckley, his attitude and the resultant difficulties over the years is pretty clear cut. I blame Matthews and Shaw first and foremostly and then McAllister for all of it - sorry this might be long.

When Bucks came to the club the other players hated him. The then #19 said he would walk out as did a few others. It was up to Matthews to work on uniting the group but instead he was so focused on non-football things (those who were around know) that he let the situation go. Things just got worse. Bucks copped heaps from every senior play and in his doggedly determined way he set out to prove them wrong by simply working harder and harder than anyone else with his immense capacity to drive himself.

By the time Shaw came along Buckley had reached a different level at the Club and was seen as the saviour due to his play. Shaw really did not know how to handle him and basically allowed him a free reign. Shaw would not know what man management was really and he could not knit the unit. He preferred to coach in little groups and allowed the divisions to form amongst the new players just as they had doen in his playing time under Hafey and in the later "Nero fiddling" Matthews years.

Big Al comes into it because as president he should also have smoothed Bucks' entry to Vic Park and of course he should never have apopointed Shaw.

Now Bucks is simply a product of two things - the old bastardisation culture of footy clubs where young players are treated badly and sent up just like he was when he came into it, and his own ethos of drive and determination. Both cultures are foreign to teenagers today unfortunately for the latter and thankfully for the former.

Teenagers today are soft as hell - especially boys and I am sure you know that AB. They get it far to easy and are not prepared to really work for the fruits of real success because just being on a list for a few years is lucrative enough. It needs boys driven by things other than money to really push hard to go from good players to champs.

I will stop lest this turns into a book - it is not a justification or exhonoration of Bucks - just simply stating facts.

Now if there is one person who can control this situation it is Malthouse and I have great faith in him as a man manager more than anything else. He will set clear rules that will have to be obeyed. He will have Bucks there as his right hand man but also smooth off any rough edges.

Part of allowing him to miss the footy trip was for this reason. Here are the rules and boundaries - we play for Collingwood and in Collingwood time this is how we do it. Outside Collingwood time hang with the boys or not, its your choice. I actually see this as uniting players to the real cause rather than dividing because it sepates the important from the compulsory/mandatory.

I know that Brownie and Bucks are not mates but they respect each other. As a coach Rowdy will apreciate Bucks more and probably use him a bit as a counterfoil to get to the young ones. Done properly it will work a treat. Done badly .. lets not go there.

The playing of Bucks in one position - watch this space, or actually watch the field. It will happen this year. My pick is defensive midfielder in a similar role that Wanganeen played in 1993. He will still kick 25 to 30 goals from there too!

On the use of Burnsie as a go between I think that is great too because we need more wise heads to refer the youngsters too. Burnsie has been seen as a bit of a loner and a bit too quiet in the past and if he is growing into leadership that can only be positive - again if handled well.

On who likes or dislikes Bucks - I know Boofa worships him, Mal actually did like him, Willo and he were fairly close, Rogan respects him like you would respect a favourite teacher and some of the other young ones also really respect him. Most of the angst comes from a combination of not being able to match his standards and Buckley's own self confessed problem that sometimes his attempts to guide and teach can sound like rants and curses even when he is trying hard to avoid that (I can really relate to that - again smiles from those that know me).

Driver
London Dave Aquarius

Ješte jedna pivo prosím

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2000 11:13 pm

Not suprised to hear this. I agree with Driver's calls. The 82 putsch with Hafey stuffed us financially (the New Magpies) and playing wise for a couple of years, but ultimately I s'pose got us to 1990.
If what Annabelle says re MM's reaction is true, good. It will end it one way or the other, and not let the situation drag on festering for ever. Looks like it could be a looooonnnnnnngggg season.

[This message has been edited by London Dave (edited 18 October 2000).]
Broadie 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2000 2:34 am

There was a similar topic running on BigFooty, so I'll re-post what I wrote there.

My biggest concern is that we have enough personnel problems without having a dictatorial captain whose leadership style inhibits, rather than helps, the younger players. I only hope this can be resolved with BUCKS at the club.

MY ORIGINAL BIGFOOTY POST (OCT 12):

quote:
I have very vivid memories of Buckley giving a very public verballing to Nick Davis after he cost us a goal. I said at the time and I'll say it again: all that does is HARM a young player's development (creates a fear of mistakes, stifling their risk-taking) and makes the captain seem less approachable.

Rumours about Buck's being disliked by other Collingwood players are old news.

It seems they have some basis in truth, though. Bucks seems to have the attitude that nobody should make a mistake, and he publicly berates his teammates when he sees them make one. HOWEVER, he makes plenty himself.

True leaders inspire others to play above themselves. He does this occasionally. Someone needs to teach him far better interpersonal skills.

Just an opinion from a humble magpie fan who wants a harmonious TEAM where everyone encourages and inspires each other. Not too much to ask for, is it?

-------------------

(posted on oct 13):

quote:
Would the team be better off without Buckley? The logic says that the other players would be forced to shoulder more of the load, perhaps developing more team spirit.

AS for trading him for high draft picks, that could only work if you got an expereinced player as part of the deal.

Have to agree with PieGirl#41, in that Burns & Rocca are good leaders. Pebbles shows great enthusiasm for his teammates, though is still too inconsistent as a player. I'd be worried about his attitude in 2001, as he apparently is very resentful of his brother being sacked.

Richardson is also a very steady character, and a possible "stand-in" captain, but not your inspirational captain.

I've been hauled over the coals for suggesting Brown was a poor choice for captain, as his shyness caused poor interpersonal skills (but at least he's not rude or denigrating). But his on-field demeanor was always positive & inspiring.

-----------------

------------------
Broadie

[This message has been edited by Broadie (edited 18 October 2000).]
Spidergirl 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2000 6:15 am

ok i'm waiting for it ---->go sick Magpie Maniac !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

on Bucks - i noticed this with him at the Bulldogs game at the end of the year how he was acting like king dick bossing every1 round but i guess its his job coz hes captain. And unless we know exactly what he is saying 2 them we cant really comment on this attitude! Maybe if some other players do feel this way about Bucks it is cause he is always favored over the rest of the team and they r jealous and wanna be like him. Who knows just win a premiership Collingwood so we can forget all about gossip like this. We will have better things to talk about then!

yeah Piegirl i agree with ya on those leaders but also Rupie and Lica r mighty fine leaders at our club even though they r pretty young! And yeah i would be worried about Anthonys attitude to the club next year too. At the Copeland he was saying how it should be his brother up there getting the award and looked pretty bitter about the situation! I wouldnt be surprised if he leaves Collingwood too!

???

NT - Pie 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2000 9:33 am

The suggesttion of Anthony Rocca as captain is the most preposterous thing i have heard. Captains need to be a little more than inspirational they need to have a bit of smarts about them too and frankly with Pebbles' fitness...i dont know if he could cope with the extra pressure. Betheras may be an option, but would he even get a game in the better sides?? Buckley is our best option. Hey who doesnt like their bosses at work?? Probably many! I think we have too many teenage whingers at the club who need to have a hard look at themselves and their wallet and realise how lucky they are. What Tarrant did last year was ridiculous...
MAGPIE MANIAC 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2000 2:16 pm

Okay Spidergirl , I was trying to ignore this thinking that this "club was united as one!" Nathan Buckley has worked very hard , is very talented and loves Collingwood. I think he sets himself a high standard and also expects his "teamates" to do so too. He is very Passionate about his footy and because he is Captain isn't it his job to help the young players to learn the game? By chastising them when they make a mistake wouldn't you think that that would help them to remember not to make this same mistake again.
Are they that that soft and thin skinned that they have to go sooking to Neil Balme? We don't like Nathan Buckley because he yells at us ! These players are supposed to be Professional Football Players and get paid pretty well and considering our performances this year are somewhat overpaid! May be we are a young side but we certainly need to toughen up and commit ourselves to playing Professional Football.
What is the difference of Buck's yelling at the players as to Coaches screaming, ranting and raving - David Parkin, Leigh Matthews, Malcolm Blight and Stan Alves. Also Rowdy was seen to be telling players what to do to!
I am still hoping that this is another rumour - whether it is or not other Clubs must be in hysterics over it!! They would love to have Buck's in there side. GOOD LUCK IN 2001 BUCKS. LET YOUR FOOTY DO THE TALKING!!!!

------------------
ROWDY FOREVER
joffa#2001 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2000 4:24 pm

This will upset a few people and really i dont care if it does or not.

We have all known for sometime that their has been problems with buckley and his inability to get on with fellow players.

If this is the case buckley must step down as captain immediately
if this below average football team is not united it will have no chance whatsoever.

Now i wish some people would realise that as great as buckley is
maybe he is just not captain material.

The upmost important thing here is for collingwood to become great again it will not do so if the team does not respect their leader.

NT - Pie 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2000 4:29 pm

Get a grip joffa..what are the alternatives?? anthony rocca?? Maybe we could have offered it to olarenshaw or maybe the loyal mal michael!
Broadie 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2000 2:23 am

NT-Pie: Huh? Do you honestly think Bucks is the only possible captain at Collingwood? No wonder he acts that way if others also think that. What about Burns? It's quite obvious the other players have real respect for him, particularly if the story posted above is even half-true. Otherwise, there's another shorter-term option in Richo: solid, dependable, and a father-figure (not the "I'll give you the strap" father-figure, but the "gee, we respect you - tell us more" figure).

As for the difference between your coach yelling at you and your captain doing it: it is a HUGE difference. One is the bloke in charge of everything, the other is supposed to be one of you - your leader and mentor. A captain who berates loudly, publicly and often does not help the UNITY of his team. Brown gave directions and instructions, but I never saw him BERATE or BELITTLE his teammates.

------------------
Broadie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2000 3:33 am

The Buckley rumours have been going on for ages.

I created a message a couple of months ago regarding this issue.

"Do the players really like Buckley"

I don't want to sound like I told you so but they are true.
I still stand by that post and I also stand by the post I created on what Mal Michael did even though it was edited (which in the end I agreed with)

This is a challenge for Eddie and the club to sort out.
Good luck.
joffa#2001 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2000 4:40 am

Get a grip...what are you talkin about??

I want to see a strong and contented unit at collingwood
is that a bloody crime.

Cause as member said even if the rumours are half true,
we would be destined to doom!!

For gods sake people no one is criticising the amazing
abilities bucks has, but you show me a team that has won a premiership with a captain who has not got the respect of his team mates and i will show you how to jump of the bloody yarra with boots full of concrete!!!!!

And its been too long since we have been in the finals
and its driving me thucken mad im really spewin about it.

WE HAVE GOT TO CLEAN UP OUR BACKYARD OR THE SAME SHIT EACH YEAR
WILL JUST KEEP HAPPENING.

AND IF THE RUMOURS ARE TRUE OR PARTLY TRUE WE THE COLLINWOOD PEOPLE DESERVE AN APOLOGY.

CAUSE THIS SHIT SHOULD NOT BE ALLOWED TO HAPPEN!!!!!!!!!

MAGPIE MANIAC 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2000 5:12 am

IF there was any truth in this matter - Don't you think that if Buckley was out of line Malthouse would have sorted him out? Would'nt you think that perhaps Buckley - because he is Captain -is under his Coach's Instructions to discipline the players when something happens on the field?

Seeing that Buckley has been named , why aren't the players who aren't happy with him named?

Joffa, Buckley to stand down as Captain - YOU CAN'T BE SERIOUS!!!

BUCKS AND ROWDY FOREVER

------------------
ROWDY FOREVER
Greg J Aquarius

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2000 5:37 am

Oh no, Joffa, it's not that Buckley isn't captain material, it is his players that (at the moment) are not AFL material!

It is easy to be digruntled when you are losing. I would hazard to say that Buckley is as disgruntled over losing, as mush as the players are disgruntled over him giving them sprays.

Don't get me wrong. I am not sticking up for Buckley continually spraying his players. I have seen it at games over the last two years. I do not think it is the right approach!

Buckley just needs to be told to be positive at all times. Leave the sprays for when the players need the inspiration to win their fourth flag in a row (PLEASE, PLEASE, let that come true).

So Buckley, consider yourself to be told. BE POSITIVE.
Spidergirl 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2000 8:06 am

Wicked a war has started on here again!!!!!!!!

For fu@k sake me and CQ will be captain ok! nah we will find out but if there is any truth to this Bucks thing coz we find out everything round the place!

Hey NT Pie don't u go bringing Ricky into this! and as for Mal well look how every1 has turned on him now>>>I reckon he was definately in our top 5 players and him being back in the side could have stopped our slip back down to the bottom!

What about Freeborn being captain he seems pretty responsible to me and is a bloody good player?!? I guess he hasnt been playing with our club for long enough but. If u think about it once u take Bucks outta it there are a lot of guys who could be good captains. Why don't we just have a joint one like Saints did with Loewie and Burkie! Speaking of Saints MAGPIE MANIAC - Stan Alves went sick at Max and look where that got him.....SACKED straight away coz the players could no longer relate to what he was on about and all turned on him!

???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4   

Jump to: