Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Nathan Buckley

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peps_12 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2000 3:19 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

F@ck me.

We have a player in the top 3 in the league, and the rest of the list would be lucky to rate in the top 100. And what happens? We still find the time and reason to suggest we don't need him, and that he is bad for us.

If Bucks can instil 50% of his work ethic into the rest of the players on our list, we will play finals.

It must be incredibly frustrating for him to watch this bunch of blokes, who he recognises as having the ability required (as shown in the first 5 games last year) continually playing below themselves and letting themselves down.

"Everyone has talent. What is rare is the courage to
follow the talent into the dark place where it leads."

- Erica Jong

"It takes little talent to see clearly what lies
under one's nose, a good deal of it to know in what direction
to point that organ."

- W. H. Auden
(quotes courtesy of MightyCool Quote a day)

Nathan Buckley has the talent and can see it in those around him. If he needs to rant and rave to get others to see what they have in them and point their nose in the direction that will bring them all success, then he should go right ahead.

If they too soft to take criticism, they are too soft for AFL football.

By the way, whoever it was said "he yells at others for making mistakes, and then he makes mistakes himself" - is there anyone who drives themselves harder in AFL football to get the most out of themselves? Buckley punishes himself more than he does anyone else for errors.

*miss_magpie* Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2000 7:46 am

if these roumours are true, then it will be a very sad day down at vic park. without unity our club is nothing, our players, like our supporters have to stick together and if that can't happen then we're SCREWED

buckley is a great captain, he is hard on the other players at times because that is how you get through to them, do you think if he went up to a player and said 'excuse me mr. footballer sir i think you might have made a boo boo' or something WEAK along the lines of that, what good would it do??
to be a good leader you have to be tough, hard and show who's boss.. buckley knows most of these players and would know their potential. if he doesn't think he is playing up to that potential they have a right to be told. after all what would a captain be if he didn't have that in your face attitude?
if the other players can't handle that attitude then i hate to think why they play football. they are paid to play and should be able to handle being told off occasionally for the amount that they get paid i would gladly do it.. who wouldn't?
all bucks wants is success for the team, i think we all do. if some players cant hack that then they need to take another look at the reason they are playing football. bucks loves his team i am sure and he's a true champ
on ya bucks!

nikki 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2000 8:53 am

I agree 100% with you Miss Magpie, I havn't replyed on this matter yet and have taken great interest reading everyones comments,so I thought i would add my 2 cents worth in
To start off with I think Bucks is a total and dead set ledgend, Ok it is no secret bucks does yell at the other players, but he knows that he needs to be a little tough to get the message through to these players that they cant make stuped mistakes that totally cost us the game and not think any more of it, the players need to be told and in a way that is going to make them listen....
Fair enough it may look like he us being the world's biggest prick but he needs to be agressive he is the leader of the club and if the leader cant drum the message into these players then who can?????
They are fotbalers, tough guys not little boys that need to be spoon feed.. Surely they can handle a little bit of critisism,
well i am going to end this post and say I dont think Bucks should change in the slightest he is a total ledge and is so loyal to this club and has a true passon for it, he just wants to deveolp these guys into real champions and i think he is doing amighty fine job of it......

------------------
GO THE MIGHTY PIES
SAV & ANTHONY LEGENDS FOREVER!!!
GO ROGAN, JOSH YOUR MY HERO..

maggee_pye 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2000 12:19 pm

True , Genuine and Legendry leaders are people that have displayed inspirational feats and have also the ability to inspire and influence others around them to reach new heights, challenge them in such a way they dont know they are being challenged, the leader needs to be respected by his peers, they wait on baited breath to be offered the next inspiring bit of advice, soak it up and take off to tackle the next challenge. Is this what our players think of our current captain? If not either one of two things need to happen, these skills need to be developed by him, as he practise his kicking or handball skills, the players need to be advised of this and they need to be patient with this development as too does he with theirs, or he needs to be replaced. The first at all times is the preferred option as it should be every time as you would not want to turn over captains every week, but no man is born 100% perfect, we all must work on our strengths and develop our weaknesses...
CQ 

ambitious that

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2000 3:33 pm

well joffa it also shits me that we lose (like, who wouldnt it shit??) and yes we are a very shite organisation (or unorganisation....) anyway the point is that collingwood needs to get their arses into gear and do something to get out of the shithole they are currently in.
Greg J Aquarius

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2000 6:00 am

I always thought Alves had done a good job with the Saints, until it became obvious that the players had stopped playing for him, then there was nothing left but for the committee to decide whether they stuck with the coach or the players. The Sainters committee self destructed and picked the players over the coach. The coach, left then the committee, then most of the players, and all the supporters was a dramtic fall from grand finalist to wooden spoon in 3 seasons.
Greg J Aquarius

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2000 3:58 am

An analogy.

So what you guys are saying is that, if Buckley was an infantry captain in Vietnam, his men would have fragged him. Despite the fact that he was the best soldier amongst them, giving them the best chance to get out alive? Sounds crazy to me.
JBJ 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2000 9:43 am

Greg J, I'm definitely not saying that......

Bucks is the best thing since sliced bread......
the prez 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2000 9:58 pm

Hi all.I'm new to this forum you can call me the prez.One item thats caught my attention is this bull*&$# about Bucks.Theres no doubt about it,Bucks IS the best captain in the AFL so the thought of replacing him is ridiculous.Name another captain who puts as much effort in his game every week and gets so much out of himself every game.He deserves all the praise he gets but doesn't go looking for it.We all know about Buckley early in his career.He wanted to come to Collingwood to play in finals(how ironic) and wasn't well received by some players.But Buckley the man has changed dramatically from that player in the mid-90s.He's gone from playing for himself to playing for the club.He's accepted the captaincy so he can lead from the front and show his teammates the way to the top.Theres no denying he's still learning in the role and admits he can sometime act a bit bossy.But being captain entitles you to that.It's your job to lead your team successfully and sometimes they need to be disciplined to learn their mistakes just like a boss at work will discipline his employees when they stuff up so they learn their mistakes because he is responsible for them and if the ship goes down,the captain's leadership is going to be questioned.So I think he has the right to go off at them but in recent years I think he has accepted the role of teacher to the young group and as such is trying to show them how to go about their game and the committment thats required at this level.If there were players that weren't happy with him,I'm sure that MM has cleaned them out already as 85% of the squad has been here less than 3 years.As far as onfield goes,Buckley the teacher has emerged to guide the young guns to success.More often than not,when a youngster stuffs up he's there quickly to give him a pat on the backside and encourage him to forget about it and learn from it.No ranting and raving.The incident with Nick Davis was a quick chat about what whappened and how to make sure it didn't happen again.No ranting or raving.Davis acknowledged that himself.Once in a while he does go off a bit but thats usually down to the tenseness of the game and he's stated he's trying to erase that from his game but mostly I see Bucks the teacher trying to guide his young men to victory.Don't forget Collingwood hasn't played finals(Buckley's reason for coming here) since 94 and he's had plenty of opportunities to go elsewhere and play in premierships but he's stuck with the club through the dark times and always stayed positive and never sulked and slowly has become not only a great champion but a great COLLINGWOOD champion with the black n white running through his veins like all of us.He shares the same passion for the club as all of us do.You see the players respect for Bucks on the fild and off it.So how about we put a stop to this rubbish and get behind our captain and our club,buy a membership,pack every game and rock the AfL to the ground.
Oh and one more thing,join me as I drop to my knees and bow to the great man cos WE'RE NOT WORTHY!!
GOD BLESS BUCKS COS HE WILL DELIVER US THE HOLY GRAIL

Big poppa pump 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2000 9:55 am

Hail!Hail! Hail! the great man has spoken!
Well said prez,lets all get behind the team as they will bring us happiness.
Let's hope there is unity in the club and we don't hear any of these crappy rumours again.
Bring on 2001,I can't wait.
Go PIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

joffa#2001 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2000 10:11 am

ok this just keeps on goin

buckley wil never ever stand upon the MCG with the premiership cup!!!!

And the club will allways be grater and bigger than any individual.

Put your emotions aside and read the very first post that started this very interesting conversation with you all.

Im a lover of buckley allways will be.But im even a bigger lover of a united collingwood team kicking arse all over australia.

*miss_magpie* Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2000 1:06 pm

well said 'the prez' i'd add to that contribution if i had the energy but i guess u basically said it all! i agree 100 percent!

tarkyn rocks go pies
CQ 

ambitious that

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2000 4:55 pm

yeah well said prez.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4   

Jump to: