Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Confidence -it's gone!

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
George M 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 1999 8:57 pm
Post subject: Confidence -it's gone!Reply with quote

Ever since Shaw has taken over the confidence of the players has been falling. It is now at its lowest point.

Sav kicked 94 goals in the year before Shaw took over. Through Shaw showing absolutely no confidence in him, he has not improved as a player.

Paul Williams was one of the best midfielders in the game. Shaw refuses to play him there. Williams is playing with no confidence.

Shauble showed great potential as a backman. Now, Shaw has no confidence in him and plays him bench/forward. He has lost all confidence and has not improved as a player.

Anthony Rocca is finally improving, although his improvement has been slow in coming thanks to Shaw's lack of confidence in him.

Scott Crow was a quality player not that long ago. Shaw has changed that.

Tarrant playing in the reserves is a joke. For god's sake Shaw, show some confidence in him!

I could go on, but the point is Shaw has no confidence in his players. In after match conferences he always points out the negatives and rarely looks at the positives.

The job of a coach is to give the players the confidence to play as well as they possibly can. Shaw has failed miserably in doing this. Shaw tries hard, but his personality is not suited to coaching.

I strongly believe that a change of coach will provide an immediate improvement in the performance of all players. A pity we will have to wait until next year.

bokka Cancer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 1999 2:38 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Taht's an interesting way of putting it. I'd be more inclined to say that he perhpas tends to destroy the confidence of the player. A good example is insisting on playing Williams on the backline - wehn he is one of thse rare player taht has a goal kicking instinct, even rarer since theyre often from outside 50. I think this is strangling Williams and is frustrating. THis week it looks like he's going to put Willimas on Farmer, instead of letting him *BE* Farmer - imagine melbourne putting Farmer on the backline!!
There's probably a lot more egs of this - eg shauble is the reverse situation.
The other thing is I don't see that he shows any "feel" for realtime coaching - a good eg is once watching on jTV, watching Monkey I could sense taht he was building something - everytime it went near him it seems inspirational, but nothign came of it a couple of times but you could sense that something *might* build that would be inspirational to the team. Next thing you know, he was pulled. it was *extremely* frustrating. 'Suggesting it wasn't just my imagination, Monkhurst was rampantly fuming as he was jogging off - he was furious.
Shaw seems to just coach as if its a chessgame or something, with wooden pieces. No feel for the organic aspect of team spirit and inspiration.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: