Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

its all ahead for the pies

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ed healey 

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2000 9:29 pm
Post subject: its all ahead for the piesReply with quote

Ive just gone thru some posts and it seems some are not too enthusiastic regards this great clubs future.
Ponder this
sydneys last flag was 1933
melbournes 1964 v collingwood unfortunately
st kildas 1966 ditto
geelongs 1963
freeo,port power and brisbane nil ever
footscrays 1954

They are less succesful than us and are still going strong so why the sad faces.........look ahead its rosy.

By the way I reckon sav could have stayed on as a ruckman,he sure was better than stunning steve

ed healey 

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2000 5:58 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

oh and richmonds last flag was 80 v collingwood
in the 60s we were in 2 GFs
. 70s 5
80s 2
90s 1
thats a pretty good record overall.

AlfAndrews 

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2000 9:00 am

You've got an interesting technique of rewriting history. I liked the bit about Sydney's last flag being in 1933.

Funny? I didn't think Sydney joined the League until 1982. According to my records, a club called South Melbourne won the 1933 premiership. And as far as I'm aware, they don't exist any more.

And that club called "Footscray". Who are they? I agree they won the 1954 premiership. But whatever became of them?

Now, I agree that our Club has got a great record over the whole of its history. But I suppose the reason people like me get on the doom 'n' gloom thing is that our greatest achievements seem to be way back in the past. With the obvious exception of 1990, our record since 1982 has been appalling.

Geelong may not have won a flag since 1963, but they've played in a few Grand Finals since then and have been competitive a lot of the time. Melbourne's overall record since 1964 has been abysmal, but at least they've had a few good seasons in recent years, so their supporters have at least got some sense of hope.

As for Brisbane, Port and Freo: they are very new clubs and it will take them a long time to establish an AFL identity and history.

You could have also included the Western Bulldogs among that list of new clubs. Since they came into existence in 1997 they have failed to win a premiership. But at least they've been very consistent and competitive in their four years.

I agree that St.Kilda has a bad record ... even worse than ours. But they do at least have fairly recent Grand Final experience. And their recruiting of playing and coaching staff this summer has given their supporters some hope for next year.

But, hell. Who am I to spoil the party. The good thing about this part of the season is that we're still unbeaten. We're equal on the ladder with all the other clubs ... so at least we're a chance.

Ah, that good old Collingwood optimism!!!

------------------
**floreat pica**

ed healey 

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2000 10:07 am

9 grand finals since 64
carlton,essendon,hawthorn can match that but no others.

floreat pica?
my latins a bit rusty
is that woods forever or something similar?

London Dave Aquarius

Ješte jedna pivo prosím

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2000 2:23 pm

I believe it loosely translates as May the Magpies flourish. I'm sure our legendary classical scholar Alf would be able to give you the exact answer.

Die dulci fruere!

AlfAndrews 

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2000 7:21 pm

Oh, no. Not the old "floreat pica" debate all over again!!!

I think we decided that it was supposed to mean "may the magpies prosper" or some such thing. But the real classical scholars (of whom I am not really one) pointed out that the Latin is actually incorrect. The person who made it up should have been made to write out their conjugation (or whatever you call it) a hundred times for using the verb in the singular and the noun in the plural.

And yes, I know we've played in a lot of Grand Finals. But only one in the last 19 years. And not a lot of other finals in that same period either.

Up to 1981 we were easily the most consistent Club in the League. Other clubs had their moments of glory ... but we were always there, never far away from the top. If only those days could return.

------------------
**floreat pica**

Mike Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2000 5:51 am

I once asked Richard Stremski about floreat pica.

Here's his response:
http://www.magpies.org.au/nick/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000367.html
rhain 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2000 1:20 pm

ALF YOU WRITE TOO MUCH!

------------------
Magpies Premiers 2001

Spidergirl 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2000 6:05 pm

shut up rhain u wannabe Mags
Go Alfy boy!

???

AlfAndrews 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2000 7:28 pm

What's the matter, rhain?
Am I exceeding your 30-second attention span?

------------------
**floreat pica**

NICK THE PIE MAN 

Nick's BB veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2000 3:59 am

lol Alf!
Good post, i hope Collingwood can return to our glory days.

------------------
"Good 'Ol Collingwood Forever"
joffa#brutus 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2000 5:40 am

yeah shut up rhain
or i will get brutus onto you!!!

rhain 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2000 12:15 pm

Spidergirl Settle down . Alf it was a joke, just everything message you write is over 100 words lol . And Joffa whats up with you, you have been funny lately

nrb 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2000 5:14 pm

Not the Richard Stremski, the GM who has no GM experience, who Eddie appointed as GM to shut him up and get him off the Board. Pathetic deals being made to control the board still.

Mike Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2000 5:58 pm

Gday nrb - 12 months between posts, good to have you back.

I'm not sure what the meaning of your post is. I wrote to Richard Stremski back in May, to ask him to throw some light on the Club motto. It was his widely recognised and appreciated expertise as Club historian that I was asking for - nothing to do with his role as GM - a role he hasn't performed for 12 months anyway. All I've done this time is refer to his answer from then.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: