Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Woody's world record.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 1:42 pm
Post subject: Woody's world record.Reply with quote

Woody on brink of record

By John Thirsk - Fox

TODD Woodbridge is one match away from becoming the greatest doubles player in history.

When the 32-year-old son of a former Cronulla police sergeant plays the adidas International final today, he has the chance to win a record 79th title.

But Woodbridge was keeping his emotions in check yesterday after he combined with Swedish partner Jonas Bjorkman to defeat Augustin Calleri and Filippo Volandri 7-6 6-2 in the semi-final.

"My attitude is just let it happen," Woodbridge said. "If it happens, well fantastic, and I'll play that way. If it doesn't, then I'll go on and continue chasing it. I'm pretty free and open to what comes my way."

Woodbridge has won 21 grand slam championships - 15 in the men's doubles (11 with Mark Woodforde and four with Bjorkman). He has also won six mixed doubles championships.

"Winning today at the Sydney International Tennis Centre, the venue of the 2000 Olympic Games where I picked up a silver medal with Mark Woodforde, would be something special," he said.

"It would be a fantastic finale and scenario for me to win in the city where I was brought up and played all my tennis and learnt the game.

"A tournament like this has a huge history and a fantastic honour roll and I really would be very proud to knock it off here [79 titles]."

Woodbridge said he would not rate a record 79 titles alongside his eight Wimbledon championships (six with Woodforde) and playing Davis Cup.

"It's been a great goal that I've set in the last couple of years to try and achieve [79 titles] and I'm after that goal," he said. "I think if I got impatient it would be tough to achieve it [the record].

"I'm just going about trying to play like I normally would. Major championships and Davis Cup have always been my priority.

"But winning the Davis Cup [final against Spain last month] was a big kick for the nation.

"It was amazing for me how many people actually have seen me in the streets, stopped me to congratulate me, that I've never met in my life. That's the type of thing that playing for your country does."

Woodbridge said he would probably keep playing if he continued his form from late last year. "I'm only 32, still pretty young as life goes, and I've got a lot of time to go and do other things," he said.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Todd Woodbridge won a world-record 79th doubles title today when he and Swedish partner Jonas Bjorkman beat American brothers Mike and Bob Bryan 7-6 7-5 in the final of the adidas International in Sydney.

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: