Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Is Ponting undermining the selectors ??

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 8:35 am
Post subject: Is Ponting undermining the selectors ??Reply with quote

Ponting from what i have read has come out and basically said that as long as he is captain that Martyn will be in both the test and one day teams.

Does not this undermine the position of the selection panel of Hohns, Border Hiltich and Boon ??

I think its good for a captain to back their players like Steve Waugh has done ie with Brett Lee. But Steve Waugh would only say "he would like the player in the team". But i think Ponting has gone a step too far.

I cant imagine Bucks saying that as long as i am captain Rocca will play seniors etc.

What are peoples thoughts ??

jlc

Blanch Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 10:48 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Punter is showing support and good on him for that. The selectors can still opt to drop him and Ponting will talk up whoever the incoming replacement is. He's captain, therefore he's earned the right to have a say IMO. The selectors can still pick who they wish. If they are backed into a corner by a player they will soon be losing their position on the board of selectors as they are not doing their job.

Bucks could say that as long as he's captain Rocca will play seniors but if MM and the match committee decided Roc was out then Bux' statements would mean nothing. It's all media stuff.....the selectors make the decisions.

All WA Magpies join the Western Magpies now:
http://www.westernmagpies.com
(At least go and sign the guestbook).
JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 10:59 am

But Ponting didnt say that, with that clause at the end or at least it was not reported that way.

jlc

Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 11:15 am

Good for you, Punter.

A hallmark of Steve Waugh's leadership was his faith in the players. In the crunch times it shone through.

There's no better example of this than his public backing for Justin Langer when popular opinion was roundly calling for his head. Langer and Gilchrist pulled off an amazing 'back from the dead' victory against Pakistan in Hobart. They both scored centuries.

After the Test, Langer stated, "Apart from me, only 2 people belived in me. My Dad and Steve Waugh"

A couple of years later, during the last Ashes tour, Alfie lost his #3 spot to a red hot Ricky Ponting. An out of form Michael Slater was dropped for the 5th. Test and Waugh opted for Langer. He scored a gutsy century as opener and the rest is history.

The skipper has every right to state who he thinks will do the best job in the context of the team he captains. This is important feedback for the selectors but they will still pick the team they think is best suited for the upcoming Test or series.

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy
JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 12:48 pm

Faith in players is great and i agree 100%.

However saying that as long as you are captain a certain player will be in your team is taking it a step too far in my opinion. Otherwise Ponting may as well select the team himself.....lol

jlc

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: