Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

"Clearly there are gay footballers in the A.F.L"

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joe 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 4:19 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

MAGFAN8 wrote:
" ... shoving their lifestyle down our throats." ?? What ?

Does this really happen to you, CQ ? Whether it does or not, it's certainly not happening here.

The author of this thread posted a link for anyone who wanted to read more on the issue. It wasn't an order.

What does happen up there Donny.You have no idea about civilisation your nearest milk bar is 45 minutes away by car.Living in the city and living on an uninhabited island are two totally different things.I agree with CQ that often lifestyles are promoted in a way that can influence the opinion of individuals.What would you know as you spend your whole life on the internet,how often do you interact with people in the flesh.My advice is get a real life please Donny,skin on skin.Not computer to computer and then your opinions will carry weight.I dont have a problem with homosexuals.
CHEERS JOE

Last edited by Joe on Wed Feb 11, 2004 4:33 pm; edited 2 times in total
dilly5 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 4:27 pm

I think he meant "it's not happening on this post"- not location. Let me know if I'm wrong.

Are we still going with the gay argument?
CP 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 6:19 pm

tessa403 wrote:
CP and CQ one section of Richards rant was asking why the AFL didn't include sex in its vilification code? Your attitude although I am sure you don't feel it is Homophobic, is Homophobic like it or not. Would you carry on as you are about an Aboriginal issue... ask yourself then go have a good look in a mirror. Can I suggest you read what Richard says about this issue, then you can coment on something you are informed about rather than making yourselves look so ignorant.

Tess, If you can find one part of my post that in any way comments on homosexuality, or even alludes to some sort of "homophobia", then you're obviously a very paranoid person who has an ego bigger than Australia. You seem to think that every comment made in every forum that you frequent, is somehow related to you, or having a go at gays.

The fact that my best mate is a poof proves my point on how readily the insecure element of the gay fraternity (sisterhood??) are to label any comment that's remotely related to them as "homophobic". Homo-Phobia implies that people who comment adversly to the gay community are in fact "scared" of gays. They aren't "scared", they just might not agree with your lifestyle choice. Aren't you being just as prejudicial in labelling them as you accuse them of labelling you?

Come to think of it...I did mention "ego" in my previous post, but then again, it was the more my annoyance with the global issue of posting the same stuff at every site possible. It included you, but wasn't specifically targeted at you.

So get over yourself...you 'aint that important!
WhyPhilWhy? 

WhyPhilWhy?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 6:34 pm

If this doesn't return to the topic (which only marginally belongs in GD), it will move to the VPT.
burntime 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 12:31 am
Post subject: Re: "Clearly there are gay footballers in the A.F.L&quoReply with quote

tessa403 wrote:
Look out here we come, the Pink Magpies are asking a few questions about lifestyles of Footballers

Well the article is about homophobia in sport generally, not just football; the 'is there a gay player in the AFL?' angle is just the kick-off point to an essay which covers sport in Australia, the UK and the USA... not to mention trying to briefly cover the kind of sexist assumptions which assume that any woman playing sport who isn't blonde and modelling for a calender must be a lesbian...

Cheers,
Richard
burntime 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 12:57 am

tessa403 wrote:
Now onto what Richard said, now by my reasoning if a certain percentage of the male population is gay say 10% according to Richards article...

I didn't say that at all actually; I said (quoting Dr Alfred Kinsey, who must be rolling in his grave at the number of times he's been misquoted) that 10% of the men survyed in his ground-breaking report published in 1948 described themselves as 'predominantly homosexual' i.e. for at least a significant although not exclusive portion of their lives.

The statistics for men who describe themselves as 'exclusively homosexual' are lower, around the 4-6% mark from what I can remember. Of course, it should also be noted that more than a quarter (27.3%) of the males surveyed in the Kinsey Report recorded _some_ homosexual activity to the point of orgasm... which is a lot of straight men who are at least a little bent.

Be that as it may, I apologise if the notice of the posting of this essay (at least the edited version of it that appears on the Pink Magpies website) has offended anyone. It wasn't meant to be seen as a case of 'oh us poor put-upon homosexuals please won't you feel sorry for us'. It's actually a broad-ranging discussion about homophobia and sexism in sport, not just footy.

Anyway, this is supposed to be a Collingwod fan site, so... who else apart from me is planning on going to the intra-club match this Friday at 11am? I'll be there hangover or not!

Cheers,
Richard
London Dave Aquarius

Ješte jedna pivo prosím

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 5:41 am

Joe wrote:
What does happen up there Donny.You have no idea about civilisation your nearest milk bar is 45 minutes away by car.Living in the city and living on an uninhabited island are two totally different things.

Bad call Joe, from where I sit, you are the one in 'living on the uninhabited island. London and NY are cities, everywhere else is a country town!

Might be better not to take cheap shots at where people live , th value of peoples opinions are not in direct proportion to how 'civilised' the place you happen to live is.
CQ 

ambitious that

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 12:16 pm

MAGFAN8 wrote:
" ... shoving their lifestyle down our throats." ?? What ?

Does this really happen to you, CQ ? Whether it does or not, it's certainly not happening here.

The author of this thread posted a link for anyone who wanted to read more on the issue. It wasn't an order.

pfft, if youre that interested in what gay ppl are up to then wouldnt you already be a member of that board?? YES!

who cares if 50% of the players a fricken gay? not me! the only thing u should be worried about is that it has a higher health risk (ohh wait for the bite now Rolling Eyes )
Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 1:34 pm

Please stick to the topic. If you don't want to read it, don't read it, if you aren't going to discuss topics like adults, don't comment.
Pied Piper Aries

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 2:15 pm

JesusGodFrank, here we go again Rolling Eyes

First: I don't see why the issue of gays playing AFL football is not a legitimate area of football discussion. The fact that no AFL footballer has come out begs the obvoius question of why not. Of course coming out is an individual choice, but when gays and lesbians can be open about their sexuality in almost every walk of life EXCEPT competitive sport suggests that there are still deep-seated beliefs, fears and (yes) phobias at large in this sporting life. The players themselves included: see Tarkyn Lockyer's insightful comments in the article Tess has provided the link for.

Second. It's absurd to suggest that if you're interested in this issue, you're already a member of the Pink Magpies and therefore will already have seen the article and no one else wants to know. Bullshit, CQ. I'm not a member of the Pink Magpies (I have no need to be) but I'm interested in this issue from a news/human rights perspective. Thanks Tess for the link; it was a good read. I don't see how just having the link attached to a new thread somehow constitutes one member of this board shoving a particular "lifestyle" down someone's throat.

Third - and by the way. CP, when did you make a "lifestyle choice" to be heterosexual? Think about it. Think about it a little more... has the penny dropped yet?

Fourth. OK CQ, I'll bite. When you talk about health risks, do a little reading. The main health risks come from morons who think gay-bashing as another kind of sport - and there's still plenty of it about.

Fifth and finally. Dilly5, I'm with you; roll on the day where the mere mention of homosexuality isn't met with this kind of response. Unfortunately while people remain so poorly informed, not to mention defensive (cf. comments like "let's have a parade for straight people"), unfortunately there'll be a few more discussions like this one yet.

Joffa got himself into hot water on this not so long ago, and he dealt with the fallout, dare I say it, like a man. A few others could follow his lead.

Cheers,

Weed

CQ 

ambitious that

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 3:47 pm

the_weed wrote:

Fourth. OK CQ, I'll bite. When you talk about health risks, do a little reading. The main health risks come from morons who think gay-bashing as another kind of sport - and there's still plenty of it about.

if you dont think being gay has higher health risks then being a hetro then youre more naive than i thought!

heres a bit of reading for you.

The HIV/AIDS epidemic has remained a predominantly gay issue in the US primarily because of the greater degree of promiscuityamong gays.

As of June 2001, nearly 64% of men with AIDS were men who have had sex with men.

http://www.corporateresourcecouncil.org/white_papers/Health_Risks.pdf

While most LGB (lebsian gay, bi) youth grow up to lead satisfying, productive lives, adolescents who report same-sex attraction or behavior appear to be at increased risk for a large number of health and mental health outcomes when compared to their heterosexual peers.
http://www.apa.org/ed/hlgb/studentrisks.html

Unfortunately, there are some health risks that are of greater concern to lesbians, and we need to make sure they are addressed
http://www.gay.com/health/hiv/?sernum=1891
MagpieMad Leo

One in, All in!!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 3:48 pm

well said weed.
joe: "My advice is get a real life please Donny,skin on skin.Not computer to computer and then your opinions will carry weight"
what the hell has that got to do with anything, you asume that someone spends alot of time on the net they have no "real life", what constitutes a real life? I spend a great deal of time on the net, I have a wife, kids and all the trapings of a "real life", yet acording to you I would have no "real life", what a load of crap! whether you like it or not the net has become a part of every day life, don't worry about homophobia you've got netophobia!

CQ 

ambitious that

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 3:48 pm

the_weed wrote:

if you dont think being gay has higher health risks then being a hetro then youre more naive than i thought!

heres a bit of reading for you.

The HIV/AIDS epidemic has remained a predominantly gay issue in the US primarily because of the greater degree of promiscuityamong gays.

As of June 2001, nearly 64% of men with AIDS were men who have had sex with men.

http://www.corporateresourcecouncil.org/white_papers/Health_Risks.pdf

While most LGB (lebsian gay, bi) youth grow up to lead satisfying, productive lives, adolescents who report same-sex attraction or behavior appear to be at increased risk for a large number of health and mental health outcomes when compared to their heterosexual peers.
http://www.apa.org/ed/hlgb/studentrisks.html

Unfortunately, there are some health risks that are of greater concern to lesbians, and we need to make sure they are addressed
http://www.gay.com/health/hiv/?sernum=1891
Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 4:10 pm

Okay, this has gone way off topic, away to VPT.
dilly5 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 4:12 pm

That doesn't really support your argument though. Whose 'health risks' are you worried about?

That information just suggests that the predominant health risks involved are confined to those of same sex persuasion.

It doesn't say anything about the health risks having any inevitable, or even obvious effect on others, or putting heterosexuals at any greater risks of... anything!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5   

Jump to: