Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

"Clearly there are gay footballers in the A.F.L"

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pied Piper Aries

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 4:38 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

CQ, these statements don't really go far to backing up your argument. It should be obvious that anyone who practices safe sex anywhere should be at no greater risk than anyone else of contracting STDs.

In Africa, millions of people are still dying due largely to unsafe sex practices where contraception (ie condoms) are not readily available, especially in Catholic countries, and due to the greed of drug companies that refuse to make their products available to those most in need, but least able to afford their goods.

Otherwise, it doesn't matter how much sex (of whatever type) you have with either gender. If you practice safe sex, no problem.

While it's true that gays and lesbians suffer greater incidence of depression and other mental health problems, often leading to suicide (especially in country areas), we can put that down in large part to the significant level of prejudice they face on a day to day level. Now we can return to the issue of football and competitive sport in general: why are there no "out" AFL footballers? My guess is that homophobia is more deeply ingrained in sporting communities. It will take enormous courage for any player to take the necessary leap of faith: in their teammates, coach and supporters as well as the opposition.

If that player happens to be wearing black and white, I'll be even prouder of him because, to use an appropriately inappropriate phrase, he'll need balls the size of church bells to do it.

Like it or not, this is an issue. You don't have to want to know about it, in which case don't involve yourself in discussion and leave it to those of us who do have an interest. But remember, no one wanted to know about racial vilification a decade ago, until Nicky Winmar lifted his jumper in front of a Collingwood crowd and forced the issue. The AFL acted and is now rightly recognised as a world leader in confronting racism head on.

Weed

CQ 

ambitious that

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 5:21 pm

dilly5 wrote:
That doesn't really support your argument though. Whose 'health risks' are you worried about?

That information just suggests that the predominant health risks involved are confined to those of same sex persuasion.

It doesn't say anything about the health risks having any inevitable, or even obvious effect on others, or putting heterosexuals at any greater risks of... anything!

umm like i said i dont give a shit what the players do, and if anyones worried about them being gay the only thing they need to worry about is the health risks!
ie they are more susceptable to aids, STDs and other things.

ahh yes, but weed, if you read the links it says that gays are more likely then hetros to NOT practice safe sex.

and i just thought id comment on your view of 'greedy drug companies'. they have stopped sending medicine etc over because african countries are highly corrupt and the aid they are sending isnt likely to reach the right people anyway.

the suicide rate is probably higher in country areas because the gay person has no one to talk to about it, and the idiots who live there like to know everybodies business! (and for that reason i am glad i dont live in a small town!)

its not that i dont want any player to 'come out' its more like if they did id be like 'yeh good 4 him' and thats it, it doesnt rate highly on my gossip-o-meter.
Pied Piper Aries

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 5:43 pm

It doesn't rate on mine either. But for someone who says she's not interested, you've made several contributions to this thread suggesting that because you're not interested, no one else should be interested either, and that anyone who is interested is ramming the issue down your throat. Nothing could be further from the truth, but you seem to be wearing a chip on both shoulders about it.

What is of interest, to me and many others, is why sexuality is still considered such a taboo subject in the sporting community. After all, we now have openly gay and lesbian politicians, high court judges, actors and musicians, not to mention virtually everywhere else among people who are not public figures. In the world of sport, it's a virtual no-go zone. Look at the hysteria which greeted tennis player Amelie Mauresmo a few years ago when her girlfriend was a constant presence in her entourage. It's as if Martina Navratilova never existed.

Being gay or lesbian is a natural variant akin to left-handedness, but unfortunately it is still seen by many as a disease - or, worse, a perverted "lifestyle choice" - when there is no sound basis for suggesting it is either of these things.

No progress will be made as long as you and others act like you're being put upon if someone dares only to raise the subject.

Weed

CQ 

ambitious that

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 6:54 pm

no its more like just because im sick of hearing about it that immeadiately makes me a homophobe, pfft, if thats someones lifestyle good for them, but why do i need to know about it?
Pied Piper Aries

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 7:59 pm

Then don't read about it, and don't heap shit on others who are interested in discussing it. Is that too hard for you to understand?
CQ 

ambitious that

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 10:14 pm

well if theres another site clearly tailored to the subject then i dont see why it has to be posted here.

if everyones so interested maybe they should go join up with the PM board!

as for 'putting shit on other ppl who are interested' pfft, so i better not post if i dont agree with something, just in case its viewed as 'putting shit', yeh right!!
Blanch Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 9:54 am

As stated before CQ, there are some of us here who read the link and thought it was an interesting read. We choose not to join the PM's because we don't wish to read all the threads. This link was posted because it was thought some of the non PM members may be interested. The person who posted this link was correct - some of us were interested. That doesn't mean we will trawl through the PM website looking for this material.

The thread is justified in that it is an issue in footy, was not "thrown down out throats" (it was a link not a post of a full article) and some of us who did read it thought it was an interesting read.

The point here is that not every thread from the PM forum is posted here. Why is this one different? Why would this one be posted? Some of us are thankful it was posted. Is that not justification enough?

As for a site being clearly tailored to the subject....I'm baffled. The PM website is not about discussing gay footballers as far as I know, but I'll happily stand corrected if proven otherwise. As far as I knew Nick's was about discussing footy issues, predominantly with Collingwood players. Last time I checked Tarkyn Lockyer was a pies player. He's involved in the article so what's the problem?

My question to you who can't handle this is:
If this site or any other magpies site did an interview with Nathan Buckley and there was a couple of questions on gay AFL footballers does that mean you would prefer those answers weren't posted because there is a site dedicated to those sorts of questions....or is that different because the dialogue would come from a heterosexuals mouth??

All WA Magpies join the Western Magpies now:
http://www.westernmagpies.com
(At least go and sign the guestbook).
burntime 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 3:57 am

Blanch wrote:

My question to you who can't handle this is:
If this site or any other magpies site did an interview with Nathan Buckley and there was a couple of questions on gay AFL footballers does that mean you would prefer those answers weren't posted because there is a site dedicated to those sorts of questions....or is that different because the dialogue would come from a heterosexuals mouth??

Interesting enough I interviewed Bucks last year on behalf of the Pink Magpies, and asked him a question along these lines...

"Richard: How would you react, Nathan, if a team-mate confided in you that he was gay, and that he was seeking from support from you both as a friend and as the captain of the club?

Bucks: Ah, well, I would first feel pretty happy within myself if a team-mate felt that I was the one to come to, because I’d be pretty happy that I had formed a strong enough relationship with them for them to speak to me about that. Secondly I’d help them in whatever way they needed. To me that would be no different from any other dilemma that a player might seek my opinion or help out about. It wouldn’t phase me at all, whatever needed to be done or just as a confidant, it wouldn’t phase me at all. I suppose my aim as captain is to make players feel as comfortable as they need to be in their environment, and any way I can do that, I will bend over backwards to make sure it happens."

The full interview can be read at the Pink Magpies website - I won't post it here in full in case that's seen as ramming Bucks down people's throats. Wink
Blanch Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 10:44 am

I remember it well...it was partly the reason behind me asking the question. It was fine when the link was posted on that article, and that is the difference.

btw, "ramming bux down people's throats" may get some excited so best not to "offer" that.

All WA Magpies join the Western Magpies now:
http://www.westernmagpies.com
(At least go and sign the guestbook).
Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 11:02 am

Well, Joe, you'll no doubt be pleased to know I just returned from Brisbane.

Not only a CITY (wow! They have some tall buildings there) but one with lots of milk bars so you should notice a real improvement in my intelligence.

My local town isn't quite 45 kms away but it does take a good day's mule ride to get there and it's not such a hick town either. Two hotels AND two milk bars.

All I was referring to was you writing about your gay friends and associates and saying "they cannot stand ..." The 'blah blah' was not meant to denigrate the rest of the sentence, just shorten the quote.

However, it's good to know 'they' don't bother you, as you keep telling us.

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy
FunkyPieMaster Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 4:26 pm

If there are gay AFL players then so be it. Who gives a shit as long as they can kick a pigskin around and provide an entertaining game.
I have to admit to being a bit wary of articles written about allegedly gay players and this whole 'outing' of people.
The only people who should be outed are hypocritical conservative "family values" politicians who try to impose their values on the rest of us - they are as bad as those who try to vilify people for being gay.

We didn't get our 40 acres and a mule
But you're my piece of the rock
And I love you CC
MissMagpie_20 Capricorn

BUCKS SIMPLY THE BEST!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 6:30 pm

LMAO go Donny Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Hopefully that shuts Joe up for 5 minutes.

The amusing thing is, were all regulars here on Nicks so why bag each other for having no life. Joe youre the biggest serial poster of them all so give Donny a break. At least what he posts bears some wit, intelligence and information.

So when i'm lying in my bed, thoughts running through my head and i feel that love is dead...
IM LOVING BUCKLEY INSTEAD!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
Joe 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 7:06 pm

MissMagpie_20 wrote:
LMAO go Donny Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Hopefully that shuts Joe up for 5 minutes.

The amusing thing is, were all regulars here on Nicks so why bag each other for having no life. Joe youre the biggest serial poster of them all so give Donny a break. At least what he posts bears some wit, intelligence and information.

I don't even know who you are thank god.
I guess Donny told u to type this post up like he does everyone else.
If he didnt, I hold your opinion of no consequence whoever you are.
For your info I have only posted five times in four months.
You have been drinking too much bourbon no doubt and it has dimmed your brain cells ability to function coherently and efficiently.
MissMagpie_20 Capricorn

BUCKS SIMPLY THE BEST!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 4:13 pm

Lol how very childish of you Joe. Dont you know anything? The bourbon is killing all of the weak brain cells who can't handle it, leaving only superior and intelligent cells in order Wink Wink

And what strikes me as the sadest thing is, you actually count how many times you post! LMAO Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

So when i'm lying in my bed, thoughts running through my head and i feel that love is dead...
IM LOVING BUCKLEY INSTEAD!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 5:04 pm

I tell MissMagpie what to do ?? Laughing That's a good one, Joe.

And everyone else ?

How grossly you underestimate the intelligence of the Nick's community.

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5   

Jump to: