Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

$500,000???

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Black_White 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2001 10:53 am
Post subject: $500,000???Reply with quote

It was reported in the paper that Tarrants' agent has given the Pies a figure of $500,000 per year for his new contract. It was further stated that this figure is non-negotiable.

Does anyone think that he is worth this amount of money?
I think maybe in the future, but not yet. How much do you think he is worth?

Remember that Eddie reads this forum, maybe we can help him to decide if we can afford Tarrant.

-Craig

The Phoenix Is Arising

dillo_09 Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2001 11:25 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Good question that you pose BW. Whilst I believe that Chris Tarrant IS one of the future stars of the AFL I dont think that he has proven his value as yet to be able to command a half mill per year. Mal Micheal was/is the same.
I wonder whether the AFL can somehow (thinking about restraint of trade)restrict the amount some players can earn through their 'rookie' era. By rookie I am thinking under 50 games. I doubt that this could happen but its worth a thought

I would be very sad to lose someone like Chris to another club, but the club (and ALL clubs) must stand firm on some of these issues in regards to player payments.

The bigger question is, would someone else pay that amount? He is only worth what people are prepared to pay him and if the maximum he can get offered to him is $300,000 thats all he is worth. If his manager has already sounded out some clubs about what they would pay for Tarrant and been told $500,000 I would think that his manager would have breached an AFL rule about player trading.

It will be interesting!!

Dillo

deanricho 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2001 11:41 am

Tarrant is worth this amount of money as he will only get better and better and better. $500000 is maybe a bit rich next year but well woth it in the next two or three years after that.
We have to keep signing our young guns and CHRIS is one of the best in the club if not the afl.

deanricho 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2001 11:42 am

Tarrant is worth this amount of money as he will only get better and better and better. $500000 is maybe a bit rich next year but well woth it in the next two or three years after that.
We have to keep signing our young guns and CHRIS is one of the best in the club if not the afl.

dillo_09 Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2001 11:54 am

deanricho,

Certainly agree that he looks like he will be worth that money in the future, but he needs to prove himself over a long time (100-150+ games), such as Bucks or C***y (Cant post HIS name on this site!!)
Cheers

Dillo

magpie24 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2001 12:43 pm

If we were going to pay $500.000 to Frozen Gehrig then Taz is worth $800.000.
Come on Taz string together 22 consistent games and you will probably get that sort of money.
GOOOO PPIIEEEESSSS

Broadie 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2001 4:43 am

In short, YES.

Pay the boy whatever he wants. And don't insult him or us by comparisons with Mal. Mal did not win us games. Taz has been one of the best through large chunks of last year's misery and in each of this year's games.

Simple thought: without him we would not have won a game - his value almost exceeds Buckley's. WHY? Games are won by goalkickers and marking forwards. He is both. End of discussion.

EDDIE - Just make sure it's a 5-year contract.

Broadie
Big poppa pump 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2001 5:58 am

Totally agree we need Chris so much we can build our future around him and Josh , he might not be worth the money yet but u can be sure that 15 other clubs would want to get their hands on him.
His body will develop more and once he gets stronger he will be unstoppable , also his kicking has improved so much he has also kicked a few goals beyond 50 which he really has struggled over the last couple of years.
He will be a superstar he has a football brain and i really believe he can play a role similar to what Hird does .

Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2001 8:36 am

YES, Tarrant is worth this much but he must be prepared to give for the greater future of the club. As in, he must realise that to reach certain goals i.e. a premiership, you have to remember that there is 37 other players at the club.

DaicosForever 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2001 10:09 am

I think much is being said by his management re his earning capacity come his next contract but i think he is a sensible kid and seriously question if he will sign for that type of money. Too many kids with not enough prescence of mind sign for the bucks but often go missing on the fieled..There are so many examples of guys signing up for the big bucks and falling flat on their heads. Paul Williams,Mckernan,Colbert,Hird has had luck conspire against him, Hamill will struggle to get a kick,Mitchell in his stint at Collingwood(rumour has it we are still paying his way). I think he mentioned in an interview a while ago that with his most recent contract he felt pressure in getting a kick and questioned his own ability to perform with the increased expectation that goes hand in hand with a payrise.
I guess if the market dictates so,he is worth it. But for the sharky agents who bleed the very clubs/players that they live off
they obviously have no conscience as to if each players experiance or development can handle a payrise, they look at their commisions and thats about it. Its great to see agents being blacklisted from rookie/national draft dealings and that should definatley be extended cover perhaps a players first 50 games as already suggested.....Chris be reasonable and dont
put too much pressure on yourself early ...u have enought with usin your ear to deal with dont add the burden of a wheavy hip pocket...at this stage(i qualify).

Louis

afisher Sagittarius

Collingwood on the Great Wall near Simatai

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2001 11:06 am

I hope this is an ambid claim (ie push for 500 and settle for 350). At this stage the talent is certainly there but he needs to earn his stripes , with consistency. Dont get me wrong , I think hes a dead set champ IN THE MAKING, and I dont want to lose him, but I think that although a pay rise is inorder (to 350), 500 is over the top. If he continues to improve then his 3 year contract can be ripped upo each year and increased. I think Tarrant need to place faith in the club that did the right thing by him 12 months ago, and be a little more reasonable, and avoid a wages spiral, that could tear us apart before we score the big prise.

AlfAndrews 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2001 3:15 pm

Nah, pay 'im 10 quid a week. And feed 'im on bread 'n' drippin'. Maybe Jock can arrange a nice cushy job for 'im at the brewery.

In my day ... we used to get up half past 10 at night (half an hour before we went to bed) ... eat a lump of freezin' cold poison ... work 25 hours a day at mill ... and pay mill owner to let us work there ... and when we got home ... etc. etc.

Seriously, though. I think he's a great player. But I don't think it's wise to blow the salary cap on one or two stars. I'd rather have a team full of Molloys than a team consisting of Buckley, Tarrant and a bunch of 10th-raters. The more you blow on the big names, the less depth you'll have. So, of course it's a big balancing act.

I'm really glad I don't have to make these decisions. Because I know I'd get it wrong. After last summer's recruiting (which I criticised bitterly at the time) I'm convinced that the Club will get it right. They were right about Mal Michael (even though I thought they were wrong) and they were right about Paul Williams (ditto). If Tazza gets too greedy he'll be out the door, and rightly so. But the big question is: how greedy is TOO greedy?

And Fraser Gehrig should not be used as the measuring stick. He is an over-rated over-priced gug with dicky knees ... Thank God we didn't get him.

**floreat pica**

London Dave Aquarius

Ješte jedna pivo prosím

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2001 6:44 pm

Job done apparently. Read it over your cornflakes!
http://www.theage.com.au/sport/2001/04/19/FFXYQ4UYNLC.html

afisher Sagittarius

Collingwood on the Great Wall near Simatai

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2001 1:32 am

Well I guess I was right on the money. (see below). Good to see that sanity prevailed , and we can build a team with star and plenty to share around
The Age "While reports had suggested Tarrant, one of the competition's most gifted youngsters, had been holding out for up to $500,000 a season, industry sources believe that the 20-year-old forward has signed for a more realistic, though still formidable, figure of about $1.5million over four seasons - including this year."

Broadie 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2001 6:14 am

It was great to read he is now all tied up for a few years. And even better to see the club ensuring our future by pre-empting the old "my contract is up - let's see what I can get through holding the club to ransom" thing.

Wish my boss would settle for a "more realistic $1.5 million over 4 years"!

Broadie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: