Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Does this team want finals...

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spidergirl 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2001 2:31 pm
Post subject: Does this team want finals...Reply with quote

Collingwood needs to stop being happy with close defeats. I don't give a flying if its 1 or a hundred points because unless Pies get over the line 4 premiership points will not be going our way! That is the difference between Collingwood and Essendon!

Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2001 2:36 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

NO, Spidergirl you are wrong!!!!! You have misread this completely. We aren't happy that we lost but happy that we nearly beat the best team in the comp...REMEMBER they lost 1 game last year...ONE GAME!!! The other difference between Collingwood and Essendon is that they won the premieship, while Collingwood came 15th. Another - we have not made the finals for SEVEN YEARS!! This is the difference.

NICK THE PIE MAN 

Nick's BB veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2001 3:29 pm

hear hear Joel!

"Good 'Ol Collingwood Forever"
Spidergirl 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2001 4:36 pm

yeh this week but wot about the week before and then with Carlton are we actually gonna get four points on the board or oh never mind just come close and lose by 3 points maybe?

MagpieBoy 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2001 4:37 pm

I Would Have 2 Agree With Joel There ... and secondly .. It took essendon 2-3 years 2 get up there wif all there young players .. and i think when coll'wood will gain more exprience they will when come in the 8!!

REMEMBER: WE ARE THE BLACK AND WHITE ARMY AND WE SAY GO PIES!!

Hiya-and-Higher 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2001 6:48 pm

It's not that you lose its how you lose.

We were 5 goals off the pace last year. This year we are 2 goals off the pace. Most of these boys have only been playing SERIOUS football for 2 years or so. In cricket it takes those with rare talent, several years to become a world class test player. In football it takes at least that long to become a premiership contender. You *have* to be happy with our guys and how they are doing...most have played less than 50 games of top level pressure football...a sport that is physically one of the most demanding games *in the world* when played at elite level. You have to adapt and learn to perform under that pressure for 4 quarters. What I'm happy about is that we are doing just that. We have the home&home series to weld a team, to iron to out the mistakes, to perfect the drills. Its pure pleasure to see those brilliant patches of play that turn up because you know that its just the start....they're going to be turning up again and again. There are 15 other clubs out there and *already* I know that 10 of them will have no hope of getting NEAR a premiership in the next few years...but our guys have got something...maybe its Eddie and MM...but there's something open ended there...we are not at our best...so that means we have got to get better right? It stands to reason

Dantheman 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2001 10:27 am

Nup, we are solid team this year. Collingwood would have beaten any other side in the competition with the way they played.

This match showed that the pies WILL get the 4 points regularly this year.

AlfAndrews 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2001 8:03 pm

My view is that Collingwood is playing brilliantly this year ... but I am absolutely disgusted with the fact that we are 2-3, when we could have easily been 5-0. It's a very fine line between winning and losing.

As a former Collingwood coach, the great Jack Cahill, once said, the best thing about winning is ... it beats the shit out of losing.

I will not be a very happy camper if we lose to Carlton ... no matter how well we play.

**floreat pica**

London Dave Aquarius

Ješte jedna pivo prosím

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2001 2:05 am

It's a good point to remember SpiderG, and agree with you Alf. We really have no idea how we sit until everyone has played everyone (rd15?). We are all pee'd off at getting done.
Here's one for you Alf, ....
complete the popular Vince Lombardi qoute:
"Winning isn't everything, .............................."
(he probably pinched it off Jock McHale)
The only time I've left a game when we got beat and been less than po'd is the 1990 game v Ess at VFL park on a Sunday. Walked out thinking we'd have no probs with that lot in the finals, which came to pass. Other "old timers" may recall it. Got jumped early, 5 or 6 down at 3/4 time and lost by a kick, but the 'mental' winners that day were the pies. Anyone who was there and at last ANZAC day prepared to contrast situations?

(One for the omen brigade: every time I've been out of London this season we have won. Next weekend Berlin, hence, goodbye Carlton!!!, and have to go to wedding in Sydney in Sept!!! )

[This message has been edited by London Dave (edited 28 April 2001).]
ytry4 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2001 2:41 am

Yeah..

I'm just wondering why Malthouse said, 'we didnt play the scoreboard today, we played the game plan'..? why would we not want to win? What exactly did he mean?

Go PIES 2001

magpie24 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2001 3:04 am

Agreed SpiderG we have got to start getting over the line,but i think without a doubt they want to play finals.

Alf after a performance like the one against ess you'd have to be confident in beating Carlton comfortably.
If we don't i will be absolutely SHATTERED.I shudder to think about the devestating effect it's going to have on everyone around me.

Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2001 7:05 am

Dave - In contrast to last years game. Last year we played one good half of football and were absolutely trounced in the second half (I don't know why people keep saying it was a good game last year), this year we were competitive the whole day and should of/could of beaten the form team of the last 2-3 years. The atmosphere was alot better from where I was sitting...even though Collingwood supporters were outnumbered we were alot of the time louder and more parochial than the Essendon supporters.

the prez 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2001 4:45 pm

Ytry4,I think Mm was inferring that throughout the course of the game,they stuck to the plan they had worked on and didn't get sucked into deviating from it whether we were 2 goals up or 2 goals down.No matter what the scoreboard said,we kept doing the things he wanted us to do right to the death and that will hold us in good stead for the future.

GO WOODS

AlfAndrews 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2001 7:05 pm

Dave,

Winning isn't everything ... It's more than that!!!

(I'm not sure if that's the quote you were referring to ... but, if not, it should have been)

Actually, while on the subject of quotes, there was a famous racehorse trainer, I think it was Bob Hoysted. One of his top-line horses had just been beaten in a feature race. Reporters asked him if he had any explanation for his horse's failure. His reply:

"Ah, well. Horses are only human."

**floreat pica**

Broadie 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2001 6:13 am

Spot on, Prez.

MM said many times last year that he's working on the theory that once players have full control and enough skill to properly execute the game plan that it will won most games.

Thus, accept early defeats if it emans sticking to the game plan, so that in the long run we have a team with Essendon-like confidence in their game plan that means they don't panic if the scoreboard is threatening, nor slack off if they are ahead.

Broadie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: