Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

In need of..

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
eye 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 1999 1:17 pm
Post subject: In need of..Reply with quote

The pies are in need of a THUG. Put simply someone who is able to make the opposition think twice when going for the ball! Someone you keep on the bench tied to a chain, frofing at the mouth, waiting to go out a break a leg or two or tooth(teeth).The last player who commanded this respect at collingwood was Darren M. What a Legend. I've been thinking about this for some time now. Yes, our young players will develop and yes some only have eyes for the ball (bucks) but where is the thug who only has eyes for the hit! eg the player you put on in the last quarter of a very close final, to make sure his opponent gets carried off on a stretcher! Ok he might get a few-- but short term loss for a long term gain. I'd rather someone like this in the side who would contribute a useful act, rather than some obscure 17 yr old we put on the list- gets one game in the resies- and we don't see again.

paul 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 1999 1:39 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

We have one.

Cameron Venables is his name. He just has to learn to do better at getting the footy.
eye 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 1999 1:52 pm

Has he been reported in the seniors yet?

foxy Sagittarius

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 1999 6:25 pm

nearly got reported in his first game. came on the ground, flattened someone about 5 metres from the bench, got dragged. was beautiful i was sitting right next to it.
robbo 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 1999 7:53 am

Eye has it! We need a thug. Someone who can exert his physicality on the field. Pants and Kelly were perfect at this. Their mere presence made the opposition think twice about taking on Collingwood.

Don't get me wrong. They don't have to hit anyone! Other teams just worry when they're around. But when they have to act people don't forget - ask Ben Doolan, their still looking for his teeth on the wing at Vic Park. And these guys have the build to take a beating week in week out.

Mike Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 1999 8:17 am

I think Pebbles is heading in this direction. He suddenly seems to have discovered that he is big and heavy - a mind-shift that I don't think Sav has ever made. Gone are the 'mummy's boy' 'little brother' tags as Anthony punishes packs and makes the opposition think twice about leaving themselves open to a hip and shoulder.

He has almost completely lost that undeserved soft, wimpish image that was built around him over the last couple of seasons and although he's no Worsfold and isn't the thug that you're talking about eye, he's showing the sort of toughness that will gain him respect and allow him to play the type of game that he shines at - should be more of it.
eye 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 1999 10:19 am

Yes, foxy I agree, it is good to see. I hope he gets more of a run. I guess we like to see our players not getting pushed around. But,when you look at them I get the impression there are only a couple of players who "look" tough. They have to beef up. The guy in charge of conditioning musn't be putting the right chemicals into the gatorade. Maybe a leaf out of west coast's book would help. Don't get me wrong, but Kingy looks like he should be linning up for food stamps. Robbo your right, there is physicality lacking. Do you remember when Stan Magro lined up Jezza, and Jezza woke up about 2 weeks later playing for Stkilda. How nice did that feel? being a supporter for the pies. A completely fair bump.

Lozza 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 1999 2:50 pm

Guys, guys, guys........

I can't believe you are screaming out for a thug when, without doubt, we have the meanest, toughest, dirtiest, roughest player in the competition!

His name.....

Clinton "HITMAN" King!!!!

Why do you think Worsfold retired this year?? Because he shit himself thats why!!

All hail the new King, Clinton "HITMAN" King!!

Long Live Collingwood!

Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 1999 5:45 am

I reckon Cameron Venables has been reading this BB. He tried to murder some poor Hawthorn guy late in the game yesterday with his elbow. The heat had gone out of the match so it didn't matter that he got freed for it...but it was definately the act of a THUG!! (He still needs to get the ball more though)
Pie no sauce 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 1999 6:41 am

A "thug" such as weideman, tuddy, pants, banksy, kelly et al,,, do offer more opportunity for presence but each of these types is caught out and rubbed out for a couple of games every now and then. eg Vnabls could have gone for his Hawk thrust.
Far more preferable is the good honest but definitely "tough" player. Not only does he command respect and presence but he is unlikely to be rubbed out. Buckley and Monkey are good examples. The opposition would think twice about backing into an oncoming pack led by these guys. Buckley is the perfect "tough" man I reckon. He is the ideal role model for our youngsters.

eye 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 1999 12:33 pm

Paul and Foxy, you're on the money!

foxy Sagittarius

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 1999 12:59 pm

i really like the look of veno. that hit he put on that poor hawthorn bloke yesterday was delightful, even though he gave away a 50 metre penalty. we need someone tough in that back line.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: